Camera won't shoot with lens on

Weird that there's no B on it since the manual shows it--but then again, there are so often minor differences in camera models, camera re-badged, and so on, or perhaps the link is to a slightly different earlier or later model. The fact that it seems to work with NO LENS on it makes me think the culprit is the lens and the lens mechanism itself. I'm not an expert in the K-mount by any means whatsoever. I thought compur's comment about the lens's mechanical diaphragm actuating mechanism might be the key; as I recall, I thought Ricoh made its OWN variant on the K-mount, and I keep thinking that the diaphragm actuating mechanism could be affecting the camera's performance. From what I gather, this camera offers no mechanical (meaning ,no external control,no dial or knob) user control over shutter speeds, right? If that is so, this would fall into the category of semi-automatic-only cameras, which was something Pentax did with like the ME Super camera of that same general era, so....the lens absolutely MUST, as in it MUST communicate 100% properly with the camera body, because the idea was to have the user pick an f/stop, and then allow the camera to automatically choose and set, internally, the right shutter speed; that is how these cameras worked. SO, as timor said, if the camera's electronics are toast, then the camera is a paperweight.

Ricoh (maker of this "Sears" camera) and Pentax K/KA/KR mounts are interchangeable between brands as far as I know. And, this camera only uses the basic K mount lenses. It does not require the KA/KR type as there is no electrical connection between lens and body, only 2 mechanical links: a lever for diaphragm control and a slot between two of the bayonet tabs to communicate the set aperture.

If the lens diaphragm lever is working OK and there is otherwise no damage to the lens then I don't have another suggestion, sorry. My best guess is that the problem lies with the body's mechanical connections. These Sears/Ricoh cameras were never known for their ruggedness.

I would suggest getting a Pentax K-series body in good condition to go with your lens.

One thing to check on old cameras is the aperture...

I got an old M42 screw mount Praktika by accident off of Ebay (not the camera I ordered, the dude sent me the wrong one) and the camera wouldn't fire with the lens on but fired fine without the lens on or with any other M42 I own. Turns out it was the aperture on the lens is all gummy, when the camera tried to fire, it pushed the rod to close the aperture, but the aperture was too stiff for the spring pressure to move the rod.

Not saying that was what your issue was, just something I found a couple weeks ago on a camera I didn't order or want, but now own.

Most reactions

Back