Dikkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, basically....

What if your release button is on the left side, instead of on the right side of your camera body...

Just a thought, as it is almost midnight here, and I really really need some sleep, but only the flickr-buzz keeps me awake...

So, face it, for the left-handed, they make left-handed guitars, left-handed scissors... etc...
But no left-handed camera's !

WHY ?

I can't imagine how hard it must be, as a right handed person to shoot with a left handed camera, because there isn't any, I guess.
Is it hard for the left handed?
Any left-handed with experience that can tell us?

I knew some other photographer 10 years ago, who lost an arm, had a prosthesis hand.... so he just kept photographing with one hand.

Really? Left-handed scissors?

Did not do any research about left-handed camera's before I started this thread... perhaps it exists... perhaps these are collector's items...

Anyway, see you tomorrow! Love you too!

Honestly when you look at a DSLR its a rectangle that bolts onto the back of a lens - ergonomically its a bit of a poor design given the modern digital nature of cameras (ergo there isn't film that has to be loaded in like in the past). However I suspect that fully re-designing the core erganomics would only present new challenges and problems and would also be a VAST cost for development (and if it didn't catch on could easily sink a company into losing a lot of clients).

One bonus of a righthanded camera though is that, being a leftie, my left arm is often a tad weaker than my right; so my left arm gets more of a workout with the camera to even things up ;)

I'm left handed and honestly have never had a problem with this aspect of photography. However all those other buttons and dials still have me a bit confused.

My experience as a lefty is that there are lots of things that aren't really designed for us. For example, I don't think I've ever used a pair of left-handed scissors. I find it fairly common to adapt to using things designed for righties, so I'm pretty coordinated with my right hand and it doesn't bother me. Also, I'd rather have my dominant hand supporting the camera and using my fine motor skills to aim the camera body from the lens anyway.

I'm a lefty and have never had a problem, or even a second thought about where the shutter button and dials are. Side note, I use right handed scissors. Although I can't play guitar right handed.

I'm left handed, play guitar right handed, aim a handgun in my left hand with my right eye, shoot a rifle right handed, and use a right handed mouse.

I don't see the need for a left handed camera, personally.

Years ago when I was in the military, I sent a guy to get me a left-handed screwdriver.

That was pretty funny...

left handed hear and have never had an issue with it or gave it a second thought, I use both hands to use it so its not like I am relying on my right hand to do all the work. my left hand is adjusting zoom steadying the camera. adjusting focus if im manually focusing etc. etc. etc.

My dad is left handed. He's never complained about the layout of a camera. He plays a regular guitar (actually, he plays my mom's when he feels like playing and she's a righty). He's always swiping scissors from the rest of us, so obviously not bothered by using right handed scissors... He really doesn't have an issue with anything being built "for" righties. As long as he can use his left hand to write and cut, he doesn't care. He can even eat with both hands, after a serious injury to his hand.

Simple answer: become ambidextrous and rub it in the face of the right handed population.

That's what I did.

I'm right handed. I can do just about anything, including writing legibly with my left hand. So, righties can become ambidextrous, too. ;)

I'm right handed. I can do just about anything, including writing legibly with my left hand. So, righties can become ambidextrous, too. ;)

You're right handed, so you can't call yourself left handed. Guess you can do "just about anything," but you can never be left handed.

Shish boom bing!

I know a guy who's left handed, and he plays guitar left handed.

He can also flip a right handed guitar upside down and play it better than any right handed guitarist could ever hope to play it...

Serious question, though: How come lefties are in a profound minority? Seems like the chances of ending up either would be the same...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back