Cameras & World Travel. Stories? Advice?

rachibee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm traveling to Vietnam in January 2013, and will be there through the end of April. Naturally, I want to take photographs while I'm there. Ideally, I'd like to start up a blog and document my time and travels there, both in writing and in photography/video. But I'm getting ahead of myself here...

I currently do not own a digital camera. I have a film SLR that I use for my Photography classes in college - and since I have a class this semester, that camera isn't going anywhere. But it's big and bulky and I most definitely WILL NOT be bringing it across the world with me. I am in the market for a dSLR, but I'm on a college student's budget. I would like to spend btw. $600-800. I have about $1000 saved up, but I honestly don't want the camera I buy to ring out at $999 because I still have to factor in potential insurance, accessories, etc.

I've been wanting to invest in my own dSLR for some time, especially with this trip coming up...but now as the trip creeps closer, I've been thinking. I don't know if I want to be carrying around a dSLR 1) because they can be bulky and a hassle and 2) security. I'm going to be visiting more remote areas of the country and poorer villages on occasion, and, while I'm not expecting to be robbed...nobody ever expects it, do they? I don't want to miss out on enjoying anything because I'm paranoid about my precious camera being stolen or damaged. Obviously I admire those photographers that go out in the field with all their equipment every day. These concerns led me to start researching smaller cameras like the Sony NEX (Alpha Camera Body | Alpha NEX-5N Camera Body | NEX-5N/B | Sony USA) Less conspicuous, easier to travel with...only problem is that it's not an SLR and it has no view finder. I like the idea of a smaller camera, but I'm having a hard time because I'm indecisive. Maybe it would be better to wait on the big-time dSLR until I've had my first big trip (I hope to have many more in the future), though it's not like I'd be saving any $$ on a NEX either. The only real advantage would be portability...

Any traveling photographers out there with some advice and/or experiences to share?

I'm not an experienced photographer but I am planning to begin taking more travel trips in order to do more photography, e.g., Spain next May and England the following fall. I invested in a Nikon D7000, bought it new for $1100 with the 18-105mm lens included. One thing I was thinking is if you want a good DLSR but don't want to fork out the big bucks (or should I say "bigger bucks"?) is try a camera store in your area that sells used equipment. This is one thing I'm going to start doing to expand my lens collection and basically only pay half the price these perfectly good quality lenses would be new. At the local place I'll be going to, last time I went there I saw MANY used Nikons and Canons, a whole wall in fact and slightly older models. Provided you do a little research into what model you want, what year the used one is, and whether important updates been made since that model, you'd probably fair pretty well for a first-time DSLR. For instance, I saw some cameras there that were undoubtedly several thousand dollars new a few years ago and now are only about $500.

As for carrying stuff around, I'm planning on getting this next month for my travels: Amazon.com: Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW Digital SLR Camera Backpack Case (Galaxy Blue/Light Grey): Camera & Photo I saw it at the camera shop in person and it's a small backpack, much slimmer than a typical bookbag, and can accommodate your camera body, various lenses, and even pack a small tripod in the outer pocket.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back