Cameta Cameras... should I be worried

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, recently I ordered a refurbished 55-200mm VR lens from Cameta Camera. I had been saving up for a new one, but found the refurn on Amazon for 150 bucks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...WLK2RE7O&s=electronics&qid=1207789871&sr=1-18

So I called, ordered the lens, and it is arriving tomorrow. However, when I got the email invoice it says this:

Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED DX VR Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Factory Demo

FACTORY DEMO? That's not REFURBISHED! Ugh, that really angers me, but I found out that I cannot cancel the sale, only ask for a trade.

So my question is, has anyone had bad experience (or good) from them? I mean, for the price, as long as it works I should be happy, right?

It does come with a 1 year warranty, according to the salesman (who was a little pushy, but wouldn't budge when I tried to get a shipping upgrade free). That is 90 days from Nikon and an additional 9 months from them!

Well, am I worrying for nothing?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have purchased a few things from Cameta through ebay, some listed as "factory demo", and I haven't had any problems. They do have a few neg feedbacks for what seem to be bait & switch on "new" items, so it's still "buyer beware". They are listed under username "Cametaauctions".

I have purchased 4 DSLR's and 10+ lenses from them, and have found their customer service excellent.

Personally I'd prefer the "Factory Demo" over the "Refurb". Refurbished tells me the product found its way into a consumers hands and the consumer had a problem with the functionality of the product. It was repaired, re-boxed and put back up for sale. "Factory Demo" could be something as benign as a lens that was in a display case or used at a photo show. It may have never been used or marginally used at most.

As for Cameta, I've purchased several products from them without incident... including a factory demo lens.

No prob with them. Bought my 20D from them and they exchanged it after a week when the LCD went out.

It's also a matter of jargon. Anything that is not "Factory New" is considered refurbished. Demo's, open Box, returns, etc. that have been sent back to the factory and redistributed will be "reconditioned" "refurbished". You have the warranty to fall back on and a reputable dealer. So no worries there.

UPDATE:

Got the lens. So far so good. Even though its refurb/demo it came with the leather pouch and lens hood! :)

i purchased my D300 from them, it shipped quick, though when i called to ask about shipment, the guy on the phone seemed a little pissed.

Most reactions

Back