CamRanger - THE wireless tethering solution?

tirediron

Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone seen or tried CamRanger? This looks like a really sweet wireless tethering solution, and seems absolutely ideal for in-studio viewing, sharing with the model, etc. At $300 it's a bit more dear than a WiFi card, but I like the idea of being able to use it anywhere, irrespective of whether or not there is a hot spot etc.

Last edited:
Have I SEEN it? Yes. Have I used it or seen what it can do? No.

Durys here in Nashville sells them so I've seen them in the store. They don't have an active display though, only some static pieces, so I haven't seen what it can do personally. Here Is Their Page about it although it probably doesn't show anything you didn't already know.

I have one. Initially I bought it thinking I could use for my live view. I went full frame 5Diii and gave up my flip out screen on my old slr. That didn't work so well, it's slow and grainy in live mode. I was just about to return it when I tried it for viewing pics as I took them and that was great. I took it to a shoot I had

I want it for the reviewing aspect, so that I can show the models the shots as we go along, not the live view (I'm not even sure I remember how to put my bodies into live-view :er:).

I have one. Initially I bought it thinking I could use for my live view. I went full frame 5Diii and gave up my flip out screen on my old slr. That didn't work so well, it's slow and grainy in live mode. I was just about to return it when I tried it for viewing pics as I took them and that was great. I took it to a shoot I had

Sorry I hit the wrong button and sent this unfinished .

Anyway I took to a shoot with a model and was not only able to review my shots and fine tune the adjustments but I was able to let the model look at the shots as we went. It worked so perfectly for tethering. I would recommend it if that's what you are planning to use it for. Needles to say but I still have it.

So, I've had a chance to put my newly arrived CamRanger through it's paces, and overall, I'm very pleased with it. It performed exactly as expected out of the box, set-up/install were straight-forward and flawless, and the design of the application is such that even without any instructions at all, it would not be difficult to figure out the basics. The package arrrived with a comprehensive printed 'Quick start' guide, and a very comlete manual in PDF format. This is going to be a VERY useful addition to my aresenal, and I'm really looking forward to 'test-driving' it at tomorrow's shoot. So far, the only two very minor negatives I've found are the requirement to re-enter the WiFi network password (the unit's s/n) each time you use it ('though I'm not sure if that's an iPad issue or a CamRanger issue; more research needed), and the delay in processing/displaying an image. Sending a small/basic .jpg seems to take about 2.5-3 seconds from shutter 'click' to display.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back