Can I be creative with OCF in TTL mode?

jadelm31

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.picturesquebyerica.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an SB700 which I use off camera, rigged on a monopod and have a set of transmitter/receiver Phottix Stratto triggers that only have TTL capability controls in themselves in that when my transmitter is mounted on my camera I can only adjust exposure compensation but if I manually go over to my flash and set it to manual and adjust there, it still triggers.

I took some test shots in TTL mode but selected the three different flash output modes; standard, center weighted, and the one for exposing or outputting the flash to the entire scene and there wasn't any difference between the 3 shots in terms of ambient exposure. I believe shutter speed also controls ambient light so I adjusted for that as well. Why?

Can I shoot creatively in TTL mode? Can I have a more exposed subject and underexposed background or choose to have the entire scene balanced in this mode? If so, how? I would have thought that by adjusting my flash output mode; standard, center weighted, etc (in TTL) and my shutter speed, that I would have seen this different. I must add that I was shooting in either aperture of shutter priority.

I'm thinking simply by changing my shutter speed. If I slow it down, more light will enter the background and if I speed it up, less will and my flash will expose for the subject. But...there must be more to this.

jadelm31 said:
Can I shoot creatively in TTL mode? Can I have a more exposed subject and underexposed background or choose to have the entire scene balanced in this mode? If so, how? I would have thought that by adjusting my flash output mode; standard, center weighted, etc (in TTL) and my shutter speed, that I would have seen this different. I must add that I was shooting in either aperture of shutter priority.

You're mixing offshore, Made in CHina triggers with Nikon flash and cameras and there doesn't seem to be full communication, or even any difference. You are making this much MORE-complicated than needed by trying to shoot off-brand, discount allegedly "TTL" triggers, AND by using Aperture- and Shutter-priority automatic exposure to shoot flash.

I'll PM you a longer message. But suffice it to say: PICK an f/stop and a shutter speed that looks right and have the camera in MANUAL exposure mode. Use the flash at a fractional power level that looks right: 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/8 are the most-likely scenarios. Done.

Last edited:
I have an SB700 which I use off camera, rigged on a monopod and have a set of transmitter/receiver Phottix Stratto triggers that only have TTL capability controls in themselves in that when my transmitter is mounted on my camera I can only adjust exposure compensation but if I manually go over to my flash and set it to manual and adjust there, it still triggers.

I took some test shots in TTL mode but selected the three different flash output modes; standard, center weighted, and the one for exposing or outputting the flash to the entire scene and there wasn't any difference between the 3 shots in terms of ambient exposure. I believe shutter speed also controls ambient light so I adjusted for that as well. Why?

Shutter Priority? Flash is not affected by shutter speed, why is that the priority? :)

Sure, every flash picture is a double exposure, of flash and of ambient. Often that implies subject and background, but you can put your flash anywhere. Flash Compensation adjusts the TTL flashes independent of ambient. The idea is that you can make the light be like you want it to be.

I don't know anything about the Phottix, but the way the Nikon Commander works with multiple TTL flash (they are TTL BL mode) is to meter each group individually, and to set the flash power levels so all the groups are equal at the subject (regardless of distance or modifiers or whatever). Then the commander menu lets you specify Flash Compensation for each group (for lighting ratio, etc).

See Using the Nikon CLS Remote Wireless Flash System

Also see Four Flash Photography Basics we must know - Flash pictures are Double Exposures for Things Required To Know About Nikon TTL

The Nikon looks great but I believe it says it has to be in sight of the commander or camera which seems a bit limiting. I think I would prefer to shoot completely manually in respect to flash but do not have funds for pocket wizards and could go with the Nikon, but I want the flexibility to be a bit more mobile and have my flash not always in eyesight of my camera.

The Nikon looks great but I believe it says it has to be in sight of the commander or camera which seems a bit limiting. I think I would prefer to shoot completely manually in respect to flash but do not have funds for pocket wizards and could go with the Nikon, but I want the flexibility to be a bit more mobile and have my flash not always in eyesight of my camera.

The commander normally does pretty well in a studio room situation indoors, but agreed, it can have issues in bright sun or greater distances (and obstacles too).
You said TTL off camera, so I assumed your Phottix gear had some capabiity to relay the commander, and assumed it might work similarly.
But I think that is wrong now. Based on the following, I suspect you are using the gear incorrectly, which may account for any difficulties.

I don't know anything about the Phottix Strato, but if it is the Strato II Multi, then its manual is http://www.phottix.com/media/upload/instructions/strato-multi-manual.pdf

The first words of its text description says: "Please Note: Strato Multi receivers are designed to work in Manual Exposure mode and have no TTL functions."

which does not match your description. The flash should be in Manual mode M, and you don't walk over and set compensation, you set power level. It seems to be an ordinary radio trigger, and ordinary manual flash.

I don't know what the SB-700 would do if you set TTL mode off camera on a manual trigger, but I strongly suspect it simply does a TTL Test Button flash at 1/16 power (since no TTL level is programmed yet).

It's the Stratto 1.....with only TTL capability. It is advertised as a trigger/receiver set with TTL. I simply attach the transmitter to the hot shoe on my camera (no other settings need to be adjusted) and then the receiver to my speedlight, adjust speedlight to TTL setting and fire. On the actual transmitter, there are channels 1-4 and on the display window only an option to increase flash compensation to +3. That is it. I tried setting my speedlight to manual but it wouldn't trigger it. I definitely like being able to be far away from the flash-especially if I'm using my telephoto.

It's the Stratto 1.....with only TTL capability. It is advertised as a trigger/receiver set with TTL. I simply attach the transmitter to the hot shoe on my camera (no other settings need to be adjusted) and then the receiver to my speedlight, adjust speedlight to TTL setting and fire. On the actual transmitter, there are channels 1-4 and on the display window only an option to increase flash compensation to +3. That is it. I tried setting my speedlight to manual but it wouldn't trigger it. I definitely like being able to be far away from the flash-especially if I'm using my telephoto.

OK, I'm sorry I was into the wrong manual. I found this one now: http://www.phottix.com/media/upload/instructions/phottix-strato-ttl-nikon.pdf
It obviously replaces the Nikon commander, and it says flashes are in TTL mode instead of Remote mode, so it is something different than the Nikon Commander. There is no mention how it triggers and meters individual TTL preflash, but it must do it.

I know nothing about it, but reading it, it says make sure receivers and transmitter are on the same channel (usual idea is that different channels would allow up to four different photographers to work the same room at the same time, without triggering each others flashes). Then I assume you set each flash to a different group, for individual preflash control of them. It does not say those words, so I am assuming more than I am reading. At least that is how Nikon commander works.

It does say Strato TTL transmitter will trigger Strato II receivers, which are manual flash, so I guess that would be one way.

It also does say +/- flash compensation is set on the transmitter, but I can't tell from the manual if that is for each individual selected group or not. There is no hint that it is individual. The Phottix manual does not say much about how it works. Maybe there are online reviews that say more.

Most reactions

Back