Can I learn photography with my Sony Cybershot DSC H20?

snapsnap1973

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi.

I wanted (and ultimately will) to get a "better" camera, but right now I can't really afford it and so I'm stuck with my Sony Cycbershot DSCH20. Is this ok to learn photography with? I know absolutely nothing really about photography other than I like photographing things at times. Also, could someone point me to a book or online tutorial (preferably) that explains the basics of photgraphy like setting, white bal, aper, shutter speed, etc, etc??

Hi. On this level camera doesn't matter. More important will be to read some books to understand the process, hardware and some ideas about the composition. Check your local library for that and in meantime keep shooting.
I'll be back with some links to free pdfs.

Absolutely you can. The gear matters far less than most people like to think. Granted, your current camera will limit you in some respects, but those are, by and large, the technical. Those are easy to learn (Start with the great tutorials here). The much more important and difficult to learn aspect of photography is the artistic; what makes a pleasing composition, what looks 'good'. Search terms such as "photographic composition", "rule of thirds" and "golden mean" or "golden ratio".

Most reactions

Back