Can I use enlarging lenses as lenses on a LF view camera?

oldfilm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have read that people use LF lenses as enlarging lenses. If so, I should be able to use a lens with big aperture as a very wide angle lens when mounted to the lensboard of a LF camera, no?

Yup.

But don't be disappointed if the flatness of field and light transmission fall off rapidly once you're outside the intended negative size of the lens if you're using a 50 or 80mm lens.

Yes you can and the quailty and image circle will vary greatly with focal length and manufacturer. Componon's will suit your needs 150mm and up as well as G-Clarons, both will actually provide quite good results. You can often find them in shutter on eBay, although the G-clarons are more expensive due to their coverage and quality.
Keep in mind the lenses are designed for a specific task, taking or enlarging. If you really want a taking lens, there are many inexpensive lenses to choose from that will do a better job.

side question:

can i repair a side mount on a toyo view copal no.1 camera? if not, i still want the lens...

picture of the problem?

A side mount range finder?

by copal no.1, I think you mean shutter.

b8f5_3.JPG

!BPDm6vQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmZ5C3BJ)uG+jzng~~_3.JPG

I know the copal no. 1 is a shutter, but it's the whole toyo view camera I'm looking at- the right front support for the front standard lensboard is broken, but I think it could be at least jerry-rigged to make the camera usable...

The right side looks like it is missing the top section that the rise/fall bolt slides up and down in. If you dont raise it too high it should work just fine as long as that is all that is wrong with it.

Is it just the photograph or does the left side of that standard look bent too?

Are you looking at buying this camera?

I'm not sure, probably not. It's pretty dirt cheap, possibly just a fixer upper or something to rob a good LF lens from. It seems to me like it got dropped at some point. The left side does look a little bent to me, but it might just be the photo or some optical illusion from the standard being tilted or something.

There is another picture available, the right side is snapped clean off. However, there is another one with no bellows that you might get cheap as well. Good luck!

Well, the price of the broken one has soared since earlier today, so I probably won't be able to snag it, but I might go for the one with no lens or bellows later. Maybe I can frankenstein it into something interesting... Do you think a Graflex press-type camera has plenty of movements available to satisfy some tilt-shift itching without breaking the bank for a lens that goes to f/2.5? I am plenty happy with my current arsenal and just would like a LF setup at some point in the future...

It would be a decent choice if you want something that is a bit more portable than a monorail. I would say $250 would get you a decent set up. For about the same price you can find some older calumet monorails with much more movements, sometimes with a lens. Really depends on what your goals are.

It would be a decent choice if you want something that is a bit more portable than a monorail. I would say $250 would get you a decent set up. For about the same price you can find some older calumet monorails with much more movements, sometimes with a lens. Really depends on what your goals are.

Well, I'd love the flexibility that the Dave Burnett combo offers- a Graphlex with Ektar f/2.5 lens. While I can't afford a lens with that big an aperture, he does get a pretty effective amount of tilt and shift in (I'm sure that lens has some freaking awesome ultra low depth of field capabilities that makes the tilting and shifting really pop.

I'd want to take the camera with me, but being handheld is not a giant priority given the greater flexibility of the monorail cameras. I think whenever I have the cash on hand and find a great deal on either (preferably already with a nifty lens), I will snap it up. And then maybe the next time I come across the other type for a great deal, I will snap that up, too. I would not at all mind having one of each (press camera folder/ monorail)...

Most reactions

Back