Can I use the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G on a Nikon D7100?

Thank you! It's a bit hard to compare because the subjects are different!

How are the Vignetting and Chr. aberration measured? Which lens performs better under these aspects?
1)
Vignetting
[?]

-0.9EV
Chr. aberration
[?]
13µm
2)
Vignetting
[?]
-0.8EV
Chr. aberration
[?]
18µm

From the DxoMark page (it's all there):

Vignetting

Vignetting (or light shading) is a progressive attenuation of brightness of an image when going far from its center, meaning that the corners of a rectangular image tend to be dark. Read more about how vignetting isdefined, measured and scored.

Lateral chromatic aberration (LCA)

When a lens exhibits lateral chromatic aberration, the image of a perfectly sharp edge going from white to black shows color fringes (mostly purple, blue, or red) on the border of the edge. This is because simple lenses, like prisms, do not focus the different wavelengths of light on the same image plane. Read more about how LCA is defined, measured and scored.

Ah okay, thank you!

So the Chr. aberration is worse when using the 1.4 (by 5µm, 'a value of 5µm is noticeable and represents about 1 pixel for most cameras')!
Is that a significant drawback?

Depends on you. If you want colorful pictures, and color fidelity, the least chromatic aberration the better for you. You can always try to correct it latter using softwares like Lightroom, for instance.

The Nikkor 1.8G 35mm is a hell of a good lens, and a real bargain. But still, you will find people who dislike it. I like it a lot.

WHy does a nice BMW cost more than a similar-looking Kia from Korea? I mean, they are BOTH automobiles.

I understand that the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 is a fx lens. Will there be any compromise in quality or anything if I used 1.4 instead of 1.8 on a dx camera? Cost is not an issue.

if cost is not an issue then buy a full frame camera!

Last edited:
Okay, got it! And thank you! :)

Is this true? Does 1.8 beats the 1.4 in terms of minimising distortion?

'For DX you already have the 35 mm f/1.8 G DX which gives sharp images. For FX, this Nikkor can be given a miss. No doubt it has amazing optical quality but the caveats like distortion and chromatic aberration are deal breakers after the price paid. This situation is not helped by the fact that it’s all plastic which reduces the lifespan of this glass by a great degree.'

All lenses have some form of chromatic aberrations and or distortion pinchusioning,etc. That's why we have editing software to correct these problems.i quote "by the fact that it’s all plastic which reduces the lifespan of this glass by a great degree" where did you get those facts from ? Could you please explain these comments?

Most reactions

Back