Can somebody please tell me what's wrong with these? I can't quite place it...

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shot these with the wrong WB because I was not paying attention (dummy!) and I'm having a hard time fixing it now in LR.

The first needed some adjusting to blow out the background a bit, and the second looks better I think, but I'm still bothered by something...

Maybe my DOF is too shallow? Background not blown enough? I can't quite place it...

Please help me fix these. Thanks for looking!! :mrgreen:

8579445343_a9e5b5127f.jpg
[/URL] EMM1 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

8580559638_d29e797ee4.jpg
[/URL] EMM2 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

The WB is not even close and the skin tones are too red. The lighting is bad. Shoulders are square. Looks like a mug shot.

He's too pink!

Getting the color balance right is going to be tricky, since the light on the (camera) left side of his face is quite yellow.

Taking out quite a bit of red, de-saturating overall a little bit, and then tweaking what's left very very slightly seems to bring the colors under control. Then a very slight S curve applied for a hair more contrast, produced this:

$foo.jpg

The WB is not even close and the skin tones are too red. The lighting is bad. Shoulders are square. Looks like a mug shot.

:er:

Anybody else? To be clear, this was a quick and dirty shot of a coworker under bad lighting conditions without my lighting equipment just to see what I could do without dragging my backdrops, etc. to my workplace. Shot using a D90 and SB-700 bounced off the wall. This was not intended to be a professional portrait, but just something he needed to identify himself at an upcoming professional conference.

Clearly, the WB is off--I already pointed that out, and I reduced the red in the skin tones. But for the intended purpose, will this work or does anybody think I should change his orientation -- have him turn his shoulders, etc. for this type of shot?

Thanks.

Yes, turn shoulders.

He's too pink!

Getting the color balance right is going to be tricky, since the light on the (camera) left side of his face is quite yellow.

Taking out quite a bit of red, de-saturating overall a little bit, and then tweaking what's left very very slightly seems to bring the colors under control. Then a very slight S curve applied for a hair more contrast, produced this:

View attachment 39592

Thanks! I like this much better. I really do not have an eye yet for red tones but it seems that my D90 really tends to oversaturate the red a bit. Thanks for the edit.

What do you think about the pose?

Was this RAW?

Looks like a corporate mug shot to me! I'm not really a portrait person (Derrel? Ooooo Derrelllllllll! Helloooooo?) but the shoulder's turned idea seems like it would make a more dynamic portrait.

If the goal is to make a picture to go on the 'About Us -> Management Team' page of a web site, though, this is The Pose.

Do you use Photoshop? or Lightroom? The adjustments are fairly straightforward in CS6 for me.

Revised. Does this look better?

8579520937_0d0895fc19_n.jpg
[/URL] EMM4 by jwbryson1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Do you use Photoshop? or Lightroom? The adjustments are fairly straightforward in CS6 for me.

Leeroix, this is adjusted in LR4. I have PS CS6, but at home, not at work. I've been using LR4 for a couple of years, but I clearly don't have a good eye yet for skin tones. :lol:

Maybe I will have him repose and turn his shoulders a bit. What do you think about No 4 above?

Waaayy better.

Waaayy better.

He just said he hates the white background. Is there a simple tool in CS6 or LR4 to change the background to look like a marble slab (the "Sears" look)?

Most reactions

Back