Can someone show me hot to fix a farmers tan?

asheeants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over the weekend I took some maternity photos for my best friend. She looked absolutely gorgeous, but in a few where we showed a lil more skin you can really see her farmers tan. Can anyone show me how to fix this? Feel free to edit yourself and explain. :) Thanks!

014.jpg

play with the hue and saturation of different channels. Probably The red, orange and yellow.

Uugh... I have yet to see a maternity shot that I like (or understand). :confused:

If it were me, I would re-shoot with her clothes on.

I am kidding btw...possibly in lr3 you could use the hsl tab and click luminosity, and then hue. But you would have to probably bring it into ps to blend in. I don't think you will be happy with it.

You did not stipulate what kind of graphics program you are using, so this is how you do it in Photoshop.

You can use layers and masks as the excellent link shows, but depending on your experience level, this approach might be easier!

Select the "lasso" tool and about a 5 px feather, you want your changes to blend, no distinct lines! I started with her left arm. I selected her entire arm from the red line all the way down to her hands. I then went to image, adjustments and hue and saturation. Click on the box that says "Master" and highlight "red". Make sure you have the "preview" box in the lower right corner checked as well so you can see your changes. Slowly move the saturation slider to the left until most of the excess red is gone. You can also move the "lightness" slider ever so slightly to the right to match it as bes you can. Click ok. You may see that there is still a slight red line, no biggie. Use the patch tool and get rid of the line. Do the same for her chest. Use the patch tool to even things out. I used her belly as a destination once I had highlighted the areas to blend because it is light and has essentially no texture. Once I evened everything out I went back and gave this poor white-as-a-ghost young woman some color! I highlighted her skin areas and went again to image, adjustments, color balance and added some red and yellow, using both sparingly until her body matched her face!

Hope this helps!

farmerstan.jpg

If I might also make a suggestion regarding the photo as a whole. In the original, the woman is somewhat small and in the dead center of the frame. The portrait could be made much more "intimate' by cropping out a lot of the background. This focuses attention on her while still keeping a sense of place. Also, move her to a vertical third ("rule of thirds") instead of in the middle. Since she is facing to the left, place her on the vertical right third. This helps composition dramatically and balances the photograph. Since this crop left some of the branches of the tree still in the frame, which was distracting, I cloned them out!

Voila!

farmerstan2.jpg

Last edited:
have her wear a shirt?

I have plenty of her wearing a shirt. This was a request, and I shot it. Personally I think she's gorgeous, but that's my opinion. I know there are many different opinions on the topic, but seriously I think you knew what I meant when I asked how to fix the farmers tan. I want to even out her skin tone, and give her the photo she was hoping for. Your comment was in no way helpful, but thanks..

have her wear a shirt?

I have plenty of her wearing a shirt. This was a request, and I shot it. Personally I think she's gorgeous, but that's my opinion. I know there are many different opinions on the topic, but seriously I think you knew what I meant when I asked how to fix the farmers tan. I want to even out her skin tone, and give her the photo she was hoping for. Your comment was in no way helpful, but thanks..
I obviously wasnt the only one who mentioned that, but no problem.

Nicely done, STM.

You did not stipulate what kind of graphics program you are using, so this is how you do it in Photoshop.

You can use layers and masks as the excellent link shows, but depending on your experience level, this approach might be easier!

Select the "lasso" tool and about a 5 px feather, you want your changes to blend, no distinct lines! I started with her left arm. I selected her entire arm from the red line all the way down to her hands. I then went to image, adjustments and hue and saturation. Click on the box that says "Master" and highlight "red". Make sure you have the "preview" box in the lower right corner checked as well so you can see your changes. Slowly move the saturation slider to the left until most of the excess red is gone. You can also move the "lightness" slider ever so slightly to the right to match it as bes you can. Click ok. You may see that there is still a slight red line, no biggie. Use the patch tool and get rid of the line. Do the same for her chest. Use the patch tool to even things out. I used her belly as a destination once I had highlighted the areas to blend because it is light and has essentially no texture. Once I evened everything out I went back and gave this poor white-as-a-ghost young woman some color! I highlighted her skin areas and went again to image, adjustments, color balance and added some red and yellow, using both sparingly until her body matched her face!

Hope this helps!

farmerstan.jpg

If I might also make a suggestion regarding the photo as a whole. In the original, the woman is somewhat small and in the dead center of the frame. The portrait could be made much more "intimate' by cropping out a lot of the background. This focuses attention on her while still keeping a sense of place. Also, move her to a vertical third ("rule of thirds") instead of in the middle. Since she is facing to the left, place her on the vertical right third. This helps composition dramatically and balances the photograph. Since this crop left some of the branches of the tree still in the frame, which was distracting, I cloned them out!

Voila!

farmerstan2.jpg
Thanks, nice job on that too. I do use photoshop, sorry was in a hurry and forgot to add that. :)

have her wear a shirt?

I obviously wasnt the only one who mentioned that, but no problem.

Nope you weren't the only one but I didn't think I needed to repeat myself, it's right there for the others to read as well.

Think of all the pixels that had to be discarded to make that crop. If the original had been shot much closer, and with the camera in the vertical orientation, a crop would not have been necessary and more pixels would still be available for editing or making a nice print.

The vertical camera orientation is also called 'portrait' orientation.

Most reactions

Back