Can you fix bad ISO selection in post process?

Epiphany

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Completely sabotaged myself! Didn't change my ISO back to basic settings after my last shoot. I took some pictures for a friend at ISO 6400! Photos look alright when editing in Lightroom but of course when I export as JPEG they look like crap! Any other format I can export in that wont compress or decrease the quality but will still be able to print most places? Thanks!

So we don't have to go through this all again, check this out:

Need help with exposure question

It's up to 11 pages so far, and some will not particularly interest you, but it is an important concept that you would do well to read up on.

As to your specific problem; please post a 100% crop of a portion of your photo and maybe someone can suggest what to do with it.

Try exporting to PNG or lossless uncompressed TIFF.

Completely sabotaged myself! Didn't change my ISO back to basic settings after my last shoot. I took some pictures for a friend at ISO 6400! Photos look alright when editing in Lightroom but of course when I export as JPEG they look like crap! Any other format I can export in that wont compress or decrease the quality but will still be able to print most places? Thanks!

They should look the same in exported as JPEG as they do in LR. Look like crap how? Is it noise that's a problem? Post an example.

Joe

They should look the same in exported as JPEG as they do in LR. Look like crap how? Is it noise that's a problem? Post an example.

Joe

That’s what I was thinking. Are you saving it as a low quality jpg?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

As above the same comments. Regardless of ISO, my avatar was a laser show on a cliff wall, shot at ISO 25600. Are you doing noise reduction in LR? When you export are you checking color space sRGB? and using a quality level of 80 or above? Are you resizing, and using a really low resolution??

Also be aware the size you want to print, no point in zooming right in if your printing smaller for example, often prints can look better than the perception we get off the computer

Joe

Yes, lots of noise! When exporting I have sRGB selected and JPEG set at 100% for quality.

As above the same comments. Regardless of ISO, my avatar was a laser show on a cliff wall, shot at ISO 25600. Are you doing noise reduction in LR? When you export are you checking color space sRGB? and using a quality level of 80 or above? Are you resizing, and using a really low resolution??

sRGB selected and JPEG quality at 100%. Not resizing.

..when I export as JPEG they look like crap!
What display are you seeing the finished image on? Is this on some website? Is it a print? On someone else's computer? How are you viewing this?

Meanwhile, we'll just keep on guessing things until we eventually guess the right combination of factors.

Rather then guessing how about posting an image?

Like others have written, exporting to 100% JPEG should not show much if any degradation. Exporting in any other format should not make any difference. Depending on your camera, ISO 6400 may or may not be that big of a deal. What were all your setting? Could it possibly be over exposed?

Joe

Yes, lots of noise! When exporting I have sRGB selected and JPEG set at 100% for quality.

So if you want to suppress the noise you'll have to filter it. LR has noise filtering under the detail tab. Better noise filtering is available from specialty tools like Topaz Denoise and Neat Image. I like Neat Image.

Joe

Most reactions

Back