can you mix 285Hv's and something like alien bees B800's or Flashpoint II 320M?

Foxtrot_01

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have 3 vivitar 285Hv's which I use for indoor home studio shooting(I bought 2 more used from ebay and they have become unreliable/faulty so I rather get them new), I use Fotga PT04 radio triggers and they seem to work well. The 285Hv's I use as main, filling light and to separate the background or as hair light. I need more power to get a white background and maybe alternate as a main light. Can I use the 285Hv's with a Alienbees B800 or Flashpoint II 320M?
can I trigger the Alien Bees or Flashpoint II 320M with radio triggers?
or should I buy two more 285Hv's?

seems it's like the same $ as the each 285Hv is around $85 and the Flashpoint II 320M is $99. Which one will give me the most versatility?
that is, if you can combine the lights and use radio triggers.

I mix my Nikon speedlights with PCB White Lightning monos without a hitch. I set the WB to 5500K and let it rock. Tweak in post if necessary.

For studio shooting, a "real monolight" like the Flashpoint 320M is preferrable to a Vivitar 285 speedlight. The monolight is $99, the flash $85...so...that makes the choice relatively close in price.

For studio shooting, a "real monolight" like the Flashpoint 320M is preferrable to a Vivitar 285 speedlight. The monolight is $99, the flash $85...so...that makes the choice relatively close in price.
yes, I thought the investment is the same, I could possibly combine both, any idea on how can I trigger both the 285Hv and the mono(Flashpoint 320M)?

Yes; the 320's have BUILT-in optical slave triggers; the 285's will need accessory slaves attached,either to the hot shoe OR via a PC connecting cord to the flash and the slave. Flashzebra.com has good prices on the needed accessories. If a 285HV is placed ON the camera, or connected to the camera with a PC cord, and the flash is fired, then the 320's will fire as long as their slave trigger is set to ON. ONE 285HV can fire as many 320M's as you happen to have in the room and ON.

Don't get a monolight!

If you get one then you'll start spending what seems an eternity waiting on your speedlights to finish recycling. Then you'll just put them away and if you didn't the first time then you'll have to reinvest in the flashpoints to get the battery packs (make sure the ones you look at are ac/dc).

If you care for your vivitars, stay pure!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back