Cannon 50D?

Bakko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
im an amateur photographer and was wondering if a canon 50D is a good choice camera to start shooting events(wedding, barmitzvas, etc). I am looking to transition into a more professional photography as time goes on, and was wondering if the 50D is right for me...

if so, what lens should i buy with it?

thnks

If you're going to professionally take event photos you will need more than one camera body (in case one dies if nothing else), and more than one lens (group vice portrait shots). I would even suggest you need an assistant using the other body to help cover the whole spectrum. You will need a lens with some wide angle capability for group shots in relatively small spaces, and something to produce both medium distance to close up portraits (from full body gown shots to traditional head & shoulder shots).

If you already had this covered, then sorry for being such a Captain Obvious.

The 50D is a very good camera at it's price point (IMO - since I own one).

If I were going to shoot low light events such as those that you mentioned, I would look at the 5DII or if on a budget, get a used 5D (classic version).

thanks for your responses.
are there specific lenses that you guys might suggest?
im on a budget and not looking to buy more then 2 lenses, for now at least.

what's ur limit on the lenses? as in total amount you're willing to spend? 50D is a great camera!!!

lenses with the camera, around $1500-1700

For weddings you will need some fast and quality lenses.

Tamron/Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 or more expensive Canon 17-55 f2.8

Canon 70-200 f2.8 (with or without IS)

The Canon 70-200 will set you back approx your entire budget itself so I reckon you need to build your glass collection slowly. Buy one quality lens with your 50D and then save for the next one.

The 50D is a great camera. I shot many weddings and events with my 40D before upgrading to the 7d. You will be fine with the 50D.

The Canon 17-55 F2.8 IS is a great lens for events. It's wide enough for some good group shots and it's a high quality piece of glass.

The 70-200 F2.8 is a lens you will find most wedding shooters using. It allow you to shoot from the back of the church without causing distractions during the wedding.

I would highly suggest you also add a very cheap lens to the mix. The Canon 50mm F1.8 ($100). It comes in handy during those times when you have low light and cannot use a flash. I have the F1.4 version but have used the cheaper 1.8 and it works fine.

If you only have a budget for one camera body and one good, or two average, lenses, I think you might wish to consider jumping in as a "pro" at this point. Since I said that I think I owe you a reason why I'm being negative...

Consider the bride probably thinks this is THE most important day of her life so far. Consider what she would like to do to you if the ceremony started on a Saturday evening -- about a half-hour after the camera store closed -- and your one & only body and/or wide angle lens was damaged beyond practical use.

Consider the bride's father probably spent more per minute on this event than anything else he has ever invested in. Consider what he will try to do to your reputation in the community if you fail to produce because of a dead camera/lens.

Your clients may vary, but the above are some of the reasons why I did not pursue this line of business some 30 years ago. My hat is tipped to those who do manage a living in this highly stressed environment.

Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back