Cannot find inspiration this week!

theMPvick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello community,

I am currently taking a photography class at my college and every week we have different assignment. This week I am suppose to take 5 photographs that focus on different aspects of color. I can take photos with harmonizing colors, contradicting colors, or complimentary colors. The problem that I am running into is that I have been racking my brain and I am coming up short on ideas. I live in Vermont and right now it feels like it is a colorless world out there. I feel like going to the supermarket produce section may be the best bet but the low hanging fruit at the same time.

I'm just looking for some ideas for subject matter because I am drawling a blank.

Thanks,

Phillip

Pick a color and go take 5 photos that feature that color. Things like cars, clothing, walls, food etc etc.

color is everywhere, open your eyes

Here's a few just in case you hadn't already though of them

Auto wreckers. Older decaying cars have quite a bit to offer in colour.
Zoo's or animal sanctuary. Plenty of colourful animals.
Stained glass.
Macro of a birds feather.

Hope this helps.

Love the cars idea even if you stick to cars that still work! Candles? Cupcakes? Dishes? Upholstered chairs at a furniture store. Fruit or flowers obviously. Shoes? Mittens? Eyes?

Candy. Ice cream. Lipstick. Makeup. Go to five different car dealers and take a picture that has part of a car and part of the dealership building with a wide angle lens where you can't really figure out what the car is or what the building is because it looks like an impossible puzzle where the car has color and the building is neutral.

I'm just looking for some ideas for subject matter because I am drawling a blank.
I think your idea of the produce section in the supermarket is a good idea. Take along your color wheel and the different combinations to jog your memory. Go slowly and take lots of photos. Try to avoid strangers in the shot. I am envisioning lots of possible combinations in just that place. Make sure you shoot in RAW, or if your camera captures only JPGs, make sure the white balance is correct. Stop off at the deli and beg a styrofoam "go box" to use as your color-neutral comparison target.

Thank you everyone for your replies. They are definitely most helpful.

I think your idea of the produce section in the supermarket is a good idea. Take along your color wheel and the different combinations to jog your memory. Go slowly and take lots of photos. Try to avoid strangers in the shot. I am envisioning lots of possible combinations in just that place. Make sure you shoot in RAW, or if your camera captures only JPGs, make sure the white balance is correct. Stop off at the deli and beg a styrofoam "go box" to use as your color-neutral comparison target.

Thank you for your response. I never thought of taking something along or using something so that I would have a color-neutral comparison point.

What about choosing a transparent object. (Glass, clear Quartz, etc) and taking pictures of it with different light/ color sources.

You could gel a flashlight with different colored cellophane (unless you have gels handy)

Just a pre coffee thought, I never stand by a word I've said before I've been properly caffeinated.

photoquote1.jpg

Now go out there and take some photographs.

Hello community,

I am currently taking a photography class at my college and every week we have different assignment. This week I am suppose to take 5 photographs that focus on different aspects of color. I can take photos with harmonizing colors, contradicting colors, or complimentary colors. The problem that I am running into is that I have been racking my brain and I am coming up short on ideas. I live in Vermont and right now it feels like it is a colorless world out there. I feel like going to the supermarket produce section may be the best bet but the low hanging fruit at the same time.

Thanks,

Phillip
go to the mall and take pics of window store display's. Usually good color, lighting, reflections, contrasting, etc.

Hello community,

Thanks,

Phillip

There's always good pictures out there to be found, of a kind that can't be guessed at or premeditated. Maybe in this situation you have to walk the streets for a few hours and see what you find.

Do you have a bunch of crayons? How about a saucepan and a stovetop?

Combine the two and get creative.

That's where I'd go with it. My wife would be pissed about me ruining a saucepan, but the bruises would heal eventually.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back