Canon 10D Lens advice appreciated!

jasonkt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thanks for any advice, everyone. I'm pretty "raw" with this stuff (groan).

I have a Canon 10D I recently bought from a friend, my first DSLR. All I have for it is an EF 35-70 3.5-4.5. I do not have an off-camera flash but I do have a friend that will let me borrow strobes and gear from time to time in exchange for some assisting now and then.

I am looking to become better at portraits, and would prefer to practice outdoors and on location.

What I would like to do is spend 350-500 this weekend and be able to practice some outdoor headshots with friends during the week. Locations I am considering are simple, the beach, the park, the city streets, etc.

I do not have any type of reflector or scrim jim, so this is something I would like to include in the budget.

I realize 500 is a comparatively small budget, but I am also thinking that I should get a prime lens, 50 and 80mm seem to be common suggestions, and I see the 50mm 1.4 is about $325 at B&H, which fits my budget and leaves me a little room. I'm curious though if a longer lens would be better for outdoor photography.

I was also interested in whether or not that lens would be ok for low-light photography, but I have seen other threads suggesting the 10D isn't good in those situations at all. Opinions?

I plan to have more money to invest in kit in about 2 months, hopefully another 500-1000. I would like to continue to work towards putting together the gear and skills to shoot quality outdoor portraits, and also consider a "minor" in nightlife/club photography. What would you do in this situation? More glass? New body? Light meter? Filters/modifiers?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!!

The 50mm F1.4 is a great lens and would be a good investment. An alternative is is the 50mm F1.8, which should be less than $100...but it's not built as well as the F1.4 version.

50mm would be a pretty good length for portraits. 85mm would be good as well, especially outdoor where you probably have room to back up. The 85mm F1.8 lens is a great bargain.

I wouldn't get too carried away with accessories etc. Concentrate of using the camera and lens. You can do a lot with a little creativity when shooting outdoors.

I agree with Big Mike. Consider the 50mm and a good tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back