Canon 14-24mm f/2.8L

sovietdoc

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New Ultrawide Zoom
There has been chatter about the possibilty of this lens since the day after Nikon announced their highly regarded 14-24 lens.
The latest is we’ll see this lens announced within the next 12 months. As always, nailing down lens announcement dates is near impossible with Canon. It was suggested that the EF 14-24 f/2.8L would be announced after the EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x begins shipping, suspected late in 2012 or the first half of 2013.
An EF 14-24 f/2.8L would complete a pretty remarkable range of lenses in the Canon lineup along with the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, EF 70-200 f/2.8L II & the unannounced EF 200-400 f/4L IS 1.4x.
Could it also be filterable (with a very large ring) for a circular polarizer?

1424patent.jpg

Sauce = Canon EF 14-24 f/2.8L [CR2] « Canon Rumors

/discuss

This would be the most anticipated lens coming from canon in the "near" future. It would complete Canon's "holy trinity" and finally put them on par with Nikon.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I can see this lens quickly becoming a must have part of anyones kit from landscapist to wedding photographer even if the starting price is 3 grand.

Why hasn't Canon released it already? Was it under some timed patent by Nikon?

I hate rumours and speculation in any of my hobbies, photography included. This speculation particularly annoys me; in the next few weeks I'll be purchasing a wide zoom. Originally I was going to buy a Canon 14-24 until I found out that it didn't exist, I am having to settle for a 17-40 or 16-35. Because I'm an obsessive the realisation that I'd have an overlap between the 17-40 and 24-70 annoys me.

Knowing my luck I'll buy the 17-40 or 16-35 and then the 14-24 will be released.

Fortunately I ignore rumours, and for the most part don't care about them. I'll probably forget the rumours, buy a lens and then have fun shooting while others put off buying because a new one might be launched!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back