Looking for a portrait lens to compliment my other lenses…

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I shoot a Canon 5D IV. I currently have the 70-200 III, the 100-400 II, the 16-35 III And the 50mm 1.8. I also have the 1.4x extender I think the iii, the newest iteration.
I was thinking of getting the 24-70 f2.8 ii or the 85mm f1.4.
The reason I’m looking at these is I’d like a dedicated or more dedicated portrait lens than what I have now and I’m expecting my first child in March of 2022, so I’d like it for that.

The 85mm 1.4 is a good one for portraits. You might also consider the Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG ART HSM, it is a beast of a lens for portraits and is in the same price range, actually a little cheaper.

First you need to define what YOU mean by portrait: tight head, head and shoulders, waist up, 3/4, full length, couples, family, etc.

- A baby would be like a head shot, tight. So you might use a 105.
But, as your child grows and gets bigger, you will need a shorter and shorter lens to accommodate your child getting taller. So several lenses, or a zoom.

- Back in my film days, the standard Nikon portrait lens was the 105/2.5.
BUT, that was primarily for head and shoulders portraits, with enough room to the subject.

- A full length requires a shorter lens than a head and shoulder (when shot at the same subject distance).

Then the distance you will be shooting at.
If you don't have the space/distance to use a longer lens, like the 105, you again need to use a shorter lens.

Today a zoom or two (24-70 + 70-200), provides that ease of accommodating different portrait setups without a shelf of prime lenses. When I visited a portrait studio years ago, the photog was using a zoom, similar to a 24-70, for just that reason.
The 24-70/2.8 would fit into the hole in your lens kit.

Last edited:
I'd go with the 24-70mm f2.8, it's a great sharp lens and a bit more versatile than the 85mm. Then buy the 85mm next 😄😄

As AC pointed out above, it depends on what you're shooting. I have a 35, 50, 70, 100, and 135 in prime, a 18-135, 28-105, and 70-200 zoom, in my "portrait" bag. Start with the one that best meets your primary needs then fill in.

I forgot another lens, the Tamron 35-150/2.8-4.
It takes you from 35mm moderate wide to 150mm medium tele in ONE lens. You don't have to switch lenses at 70mm, like when using the 24-70 + 70-200 pair.

IF you are into "shallow" depth of field portraits, then you are almost boxed into FAST primes.
The fastest generally available zoom is only f/2.8.
You can easily find primes at f/1.8 and faster.
Will one stop make a difference? That depends on the distance from camera to subject, and subject to background.

And this presumes that you can get a usable exposure wide open.

I would be inclined to lean towards the 24-70 for its versatility as a zoom. You can get wider and narrower fields of view. I have a 24-70 and 70-200 as my two primary lenses for pretty much everything. The one benefit of an 85/1.4 is blur of background. Some want lots of that. Not every image requires is. It is also helpful in really low light like a small nightclub venue with terrible lighting system.

Hey guys. I shoot a Canon 5D IV. I currently have the 70-200 III, the 100-400 II, the 16-35 III And the 50mm 1.8. I also have the 1.4x extender I think the iii, the newest iteration.
I was thinking of getting the 24-70 f2.8 ii or the 85mm f1.4.
The reason I’m looking at these is I’d like a dedicated or more dedicated portrait lens than what I have now and I’m expecting my first child in March of 2022, so I’d like it for that.
Geez Suzuki, maybe it's time to get a real portrait lens, like the 85 1.2!
I Also don't see the 200 1.8 on your list. That's a FANTASTIC portrait lens!!!
SS

Most reactions

Back