Canon 17 to 40 do i need it

scooterthepup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I i just ordered mt first full frame canon with a 24 to 105 lens, I like to shoot wide and was looking at the canon 17 to 40 lens. I am in kind of a tight spot because I am going on vacation in a few weeks and would probaly have to order the lens before the camera arrives. ... SO THE QUESTION IS how much wider is this going to be,( to the 24 to 105) My only compearison is my canon 10 to 22 lens I used on my 7d and like the 10mm setting. or i guess iam asking what is 10mm equilvent on a full frame. thanks

On a cropped body your effective focal range would be 16-33. Your 24-105 would partially fall into that range. So do you need it... Really depends on how you were utilizing the 10-22. Personally I think you could get away with the single lens. Wouldn't dive into a new lens just yet before experiencing the full body and new lens combo.

scooterthepup said:
I i just ordered mt first full frame canon with a 24 to 105 lens, I like to shoot wide and was looking at the canon 17 to 40 lens. I am in kind of a tight spot because I am going on vacation in a few weeks and would probaly have to order the lens before the camera arrives. ... SO THE QUESTION IS how much wider is this going to be,( to the 24 to 105) My only compearison is my canon 10 to 22 lens I used on my 7d and like the 10mm setting. or i guess iam asking what is 10mm equilvent on a full frame. thanks

Im pretty sure the 17-40mm is a cropped sensor lens. So it wont work right on a full frame. Beat bet for the price is the sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 which i just bought. Love it! Since i bought it to mostly use at 17mm f/2.8 and it was under $200... It was a way better than spending $1200 on the canon 16-35mm :)

scooterthepup said:

Im pretty sure the 17-40mm is a cropped sensor lens. So it wont work right on a full frame. Beat bet for the price is the sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 which i just bought. Love it! Since i bought it to mostly use at 17mm f/2.8 and it was under $200... It was a way better than spending $1200 on the canon 16-35mm :)

17-40 is not a cropped sensor lens.. But the OP's original question has less to do with which UWA lens he needs, and more if he needs one at all.

Angle of View:
17mm(FF) ~ 27mm(crop)
24mm(FF) ~ 38mm(crop)
16mm(FF) ~ 10mm(crop)

If you like to have a similar angle of view of 10mm on 7D, you need to go with 17mm or 16mm lens. Or even wider with the 14mm prime or the Sigma 12-24mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back