Canon 1D X vs. 5D Mark III

sharpiegoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm upgrading my T3i and need some input. The world beyond Rebel seems more defined or tailored to specific needs and I don't want to grab a camera that isn't suited to mine. What initially pops out at me is it looks as if I'll be able to use my two EF-S lenses on the 1D X as well as my EF lens but I don't see that as confirmed on the Canon website. The Mark III obviously would be more 'portable' and has a much more attractive price. Both are an upgrade to a full-frame sensor but the Mark III is an upgrade in MP as well. I know no one can give me advice from hands-on experience but there is plenty to be read out there and I just can't interpret it all. So perhaps someone who speaks better camera specs than me or has experience with either's predecessor can help me out.

Basically, I need something for my portrait work. I shoot maternity, babies, and boudoir mostly on site but I do studio as well. I don't want a camera that will be overkill but I do need the best for what I'm doing.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your EF-S lenses won't work.

I figured as much. I was reading in a few reviews and on Wiki that they would, but I wasn't going to give up hope because it wasn't reflected on the official Canon site.
Oh well.

ETA: I've been staring at those two pages all day. I was just wondering if someone could show me the big picture. For example... "Oh no, this one would be better for a sport photographer" or "This one is better for someone doing stills and video but not just stills" etc.

EFS lenses only ever fit to crop sensor bodies - so the rebel series, the 40D, 50D, 60D and 7D to name most of the modern ones. From then on the canon bodies only fit EF lenses. Note that most 3rd party lenses even if they are made for crop sensor still use the EF mount not the EFS mount - however many if mounted to a fullframe body will hit the mirror inside when it flicks up (causing damage) and will further likely give you very strong vignetting (black corners) because they cast a smaller image circle.
Some can be used, but in general its not the best of options.

Further I'd say that you're jumping up a massive jump from rebel to pro series and whilst those bodies are not hard to control (the basic operations are the same its only the bells and whistles you have to learn to master) you might be better set to first invest in a stronger lens and lighting setup.
You could also save a lot and get a second hand/reconditioned 5D/5DMII giving you fullframe now and letting you build your lens selection around that angle of view. Whilst glass and lighting are very important sensor size changes should always be made as early as possible so that you can work with the sensor size that you intend to use.

A lot depends how much you have to invest - if you've a lot more you can certainly consider a 5DMII,III or 1DMIV (which is 1.3crop no full frame but still only takes EF lenses) along with new glass and lighting gear.

Wow.. you must have a lot of money to be comparing these 2 cameras.

IMO get a 5d2, they will going cheap on ebay soon and are perfect for the kind of work you do. A lot of people seem to bag the old 9 point AF system in the 5d/5d2, but all my shots seem to be in focus. Besides, do you really need 61-point AF to get a sharp shot of a baby? Spend the extra dosh on some quality EF lenses and you won't regret it.

ehhhh... I thought it was a little rude.. but whatever. Obviously if she's looking at these cameras she knows what they cost.

So, the 1Dx is really engineered as a high speed action camera. It has a very high burst rate, and very advanced focus tracking and metering system, all built for shooting fast moving subjects. I think that unless you're going to use that dimension of the camera to it's fullest, then the 1Dx is probably overkill.

To me it sounds like the 5D MkIII will do what you're asking beautifully. Chances are the 5D MkII would even suffice, as many professionals are using them right now for all the subjects you described. However, the MkIII will have much improved autofocus, and improved low light capability, so unless the price is a factor I'd go for the MkIII.

As Mike mentioned though, lighting and lenses will have more of an impact on image quality than will your camera body, so you should really be researching this area as well... If you've got the budget for everything, then get whatever you need, but if not, the body would be the last thing I buy. I would first make sure I had a few speedlights with radio triggers / modifiers / stands / etc, and also a few nice primes, and then start thinking about a body.

Yeah, and the price diff between the used mk2 and a new mk3 will probably run close to $2k, which will buy you a couple of nice lenses or a studio full of lighting gear band backdrops.

Thanks everyone for the input.
I may consider the mkII now.
It's difficult to say no to all the mkIII hype.

You do understand 1Dx is over $6000 right? Usually people who want buy this already know exactly what they want. Not understanding how you can't mount an EF-S to a full frame canon is just a little crazy for someone who is considering a $6000 camera. Plus you only had a few posts.....

Even for a wedding photograher 1Dx is an overkill.

If you are comparing a 5D II and III, I would take a 5D III. BUT for what you are doing, 5D II is plenty good. But then again it is only $1900 camera compared to $6000+ 1Dx. Cant really compare the 2.

Sorry if I sounded rude. Just couldnt believe what I am seeing.

Schwettylens said:

Kind of unnecessary and rude....

Both of those cameras will perform flawlessly for anything you want to shoot. The only question I have is if you're ready to make that big of a jump from a Rebel. I'm not trying to be insulting, but many people don't understand how big of a jump it really is.

Last edited:
Schwettylens said:

Kind of unnecessary and rude....

Agreed. It's her money. WTF is it to you what equipment she's looking to buy?? Are you her financial manager? Business adviser? Seriously...the comment, as brief as it was is what's called a "drive-by insult".

Anyway, the 1DX is a large, heavy, flagship-level camera. The 5D-III is lighter, smaller, and around 50% less costly. DITCH the EF-S lenses by selling them. They will be of no use to you on a full-frame Canon body. You wouldn't want them if they did fit,anyway. THe 5D-III qualifies as a "professional camera"...the 5D-II did NOT....it had a good sensor in it, but a poor AF system for the most-challenging types of situations. The 5D-III has a much more-advanced AF system that should work well for those willing to learn to use it. I say "should" because the 1D Mark III autofocusing fiasco is still relatively recent, but I am going to assume that the new 61-point AF system is a good one. This is the first digital SLR Canon has ever made in which the AF system of the TOP-level body, the 1DX, is shared with another camera...something Nikon has been doing for over half a decade now. The 5D-III is the camera that the 5D-II should have been...a true pro camera...

One thing I can say with some certainty: there will be a BOATLOAD of used Canon lenses and bodies on the used market over the next eight months to a year; whenever a camera maker comes out with "the next big thing", tens of thousands of hobbyists, and pros alike, will SELL equipment to raise cash, and to simply be shooting the "next big thing". Both the 1DX and the 5D-III qualify as the next BIG advancement for Canon, so there will be some very good deals on older lenses and bodies. I suggest buying used lenses instead of new.

You do understand 1Dx is over $6000 right? Usually people who want buy this already know exactly what they want. Not understanding how you can't mount an EF-S to a full frame canon is just a little crazy for someone who is considering a $6000 camera. Plus you only had a few posts.....

Even for a wedding photograher 1Dx is an overkill.

If you are comparing a 5D II and III, I would take a 5D III. BUT for what you are doing, 5D II is plenty good. But then again it is only $1900 camera compared to $6000+ 1Dx. Cant really compare the 2.

Sorry if I sounded rude. Just couldnt believe what I am seeing.

It's not that I don't understand lens mounts. I simply read some misinformation and thought maybe there is some new technology that's getting slapped onto it where you can mount both types. *Shrugs* That's what I get for letting Wiki give my hopes up.

No worries.

Both of those cameras will perform flawlessly for anything you want to shoot. The only question I have is if you're ready to make that big of a jump from a Rebel. I'm not trying to be insulting, but many people don't understand how big of a jump it really is.

I grasp that it's going to be a jump and I'm planning for the time it's going to take to warm up to it before it can be added to my 'work lineup.' The only reason I have two Rebels is because, at the time, money was an issue but I needed to upgrade from film if I was going to get anywhere.

Derrel, thanks for the heads up about lenses and your input. I was thinking about keeping my Rebels and EF-S lenses to shoot stuff with my son but the more I think about it I think that's best left to a P&S. I don't know how parents do it lugging around DSLRs and chasing after their kids.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back