Canon 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D vs. Rebels

Do you regret moving to an XXD series Canon?

• Total voters
My 50D arrived two days ago. Holy **** is all i have to say. I had the 400D and spent so much time deliberating over this camera because of negative reviews etc online. It outperforms the 400D in everything. The only negative compared to my 400D is the weight. 2-3 stops better in ISO in my opinion although I have heard the later rebels are much better with ISO. Loads of bells and whistles. Great camera......

From XTi to 40D ...

I will pay extra for
- Able to change ISO/ShutterSpeed/Aperture with my eye looking through the viewfinder. (Or even focus point ...)
- 2 wheels for changing settings.
- Bigger handle grip. When I hold the XTi, there are space between my fingers (middle section of the fingers) and the camera grip and the grip is too small so that there are no space for my pinky (I am not talking about the Battery Grip)
- Longer expected shutter life.
- My fast lens autofocus faster. (On the 50mm f/1.8, feel a little faster, but not a whole lot. However, on 85mm F/1.8 USM, I can really feel the difference in focus speed)

I used a friends XSi for a while right after I got my 30D and HOLY CRAP what a world of difference, the feel of the 30D is MUCH better, like WOW much better. I would never touch a Rebel again.

I will pay extra for
- Able to change ISO/ShutterSpeed/Aperture with my eye looking through the viewfinder. (Or even focus point ...)

Not sure about the XTI, but from what I remember, it has the same button layout as my XSI and I'm able to change ISO shutter and aperture while looking through the view finder quite easily :confused:

As for the poll, I own an XSI, but I have shot a few times with a 40D and a 50D (probably a good 8 hours of time spent with either model) and I much prefer them to my XSI. I'm saving for the 7D, but if I would have a 40D or 50D, I would not go back to a Rebel

I just got my 50d last week moved up from an Xti and I should have done it a year ago. The display is so much easier to see, I can change all my settings on the lcd. And I love the way the 50d feels in my hand. It makes me feel like I am a photographer (even though I am just a guy who takes pictures):)

I would love to hear form the 2 people that would take a rebel over the xxD bodies...... anyone want to share there opinions?

I am using a T1i right now and I am very happy with it. Doesn't mean that some time down the road, I won't get a xxD line. But SOME PEOPLE (who will remain nameless) have a very low intelligence quotient and can't seem to understand what that entails. (See: Upgrading)

OH WAIT WHAT IS THIS? I can use my lenses that I got for my T1i with any other Canon? NO EPHING WAY! That's really cool how I can EASILY UPGRADE MY CAMERA IN THE FUTURE AND KEEP MY GLASS.

Crazy concept, eh?

I am using a T1i right now and I am very happy with it. Doesn't mean that some time down the road, I won't get a xxD line. But SOME PEOPLE (who will remain nameless) have a very low intelligence quotient and can't seem to understand what that entails. (See: Upgrading)

OH WAIT WHAT IS THIS? I can use my lenses that I got for my T1i with any other Canon? NO EPHING WAY! That's really cool how I can EASILY UPGRADE MY CAMERA IN THE FUTURE AND KEEP MY GLASS.

Crazy concept, eh?

There you go with the insults again. Don't have anything worth saying so you have to bust those out? You can get non rebel Canons for a very good price. My friend is probably going to pick up a used 30D for under $400. You can probably find a used 50D for about the price of a t1i. You can definitely find a used 40D for less. That's like people telling noobs to purchase a P&S before they get a DSLR when if you're smart about it, you can get a much better deal.

But have you ever used any other DSLRs other than your T1i? If not, or at least beyond "playing" with a friend's, then that certainly gives me a good idea as to your point of view.

And unless you skipped the kit lens and don't want to shoot wide angle (See 10-20 or 10-22) or didn't buy the 17-55 f/2.8 IS, then you can't use those lenses with every single Canon camera.

I went the exact opposite way--20D first, then 18 months later the original 5D+24-105-L kit, and then this June a brand-new 2nd generation Rebel 350D in-box at the Kits bankruptcy sale for $200.

To me, the silver, very tiny Rebel looks like a consumer camera or a P&S camera--less-conspicuous than a beefy,big,grip-equipped 20D or 5D, and one heck of a lot lighter and more compact than the 20D or 5D bodies.

I dunno...the newer Rebel cameras seem to have a lot of nice features,and the compact size of the T1i is very attractive to me and I am sure many others. It seems like increasingly people are getting much more uptight about people shooting photos in public places,and I think the smaller, entry-level gear draws a lot less attention than any of the XXD or pro-body size Canon bodies.
This October, I went to a pumpkin patch thing with my wife and son,and saw a mom and her infant son in his stroller, and the mom was taking pics of her little boy in the pumpkin patch. She had a hairbrush in one hand,and he was dressed up really nicely. I had my 5D + 24-105L over my shoulder. I walked up to her and asked, "Would you like a picture of you and your son together?" She said, "Sure! What newspaper are you working for?" I then explained--no....I meant, "Would you like ME to snap a few photos of you and your son using YOUR camera, so you can have a picture of the two of you together?"
"Oh, that would be so great! I just assumed you were shooting for a newspaper..." she trailed off...
The big stuff is kind of obvious..the Rebel-sized stuff is almost invisible.

I do want to add that , sometimes I will take the XTi out instead of the 40D because of the weight saving. i.e. XTi + 1x 17-50mm lens + 1x prime lens (depends on what I want to do, so it could be 14mm, 50mm, 85mm or 100mm) + 1 flash

Love my 50D wouldn't change it for a rebel.

I had my 5D + 24-105L over my shoulder. I walked up to her and asked, "Would you like a picture of you and your son together?" She said, "Sure! What newspaper are you working for?" I then explained--no....I meant, "Would you like ME to snap a few photos of you and your son using YOUR camera, so you can have a picture of the two of you together?"
"Oh, that would be so great! I just assumed you were shooting for a newspaper..." she trailed off...
The big stuff is kind of obvious..the Rebel-sized stuff is almost invisible.
Every single time, and I do mean every single time, I go to any event with one of my cameras I get this question asked of me. It's crazy how people automatically assume you're with a newspaper if you have a fancy looking camera.

Have you noticed that people don't assume you're with a newspaper if you have a Rebel? They're a little smaller, but they still look "professional" to the P&S crowd. The overall design is the same, just a little smaller. Without a bigger 5D next to a Rebel for comparison, can a non-camera person really see a difference?

I've often thought about picking up a T1i for travel and such... they are handy.

I'm really happy with my XSi. If I hadn't gotten it as a Xmas present I would have gotten the XS though because it's cheaper and there isn't much of a difference except for the screen size.

If I had the money I definitely would get a 5D though, but sadly I'm going into pre-med next year and will be in debt for a few years after my studies so I am happy to have a camera ;)

I'm pretty sure the only reason anyone would choose a Rebel over an XXD, would be because of the price...

Most reactions

Back