Canon 20D help

RATBONES

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just received a hand me down on a Canon 20D. I'm a total noob. I've taken several shots with the basic 'landscape' and 'portrait' default modes and I noticed the brightness.

I haven't adjusted any setting such as 'white balance' etc. but I 've used only the default modes.

Is my 20D faulty or is it just a settings thing?

Thanks

yep overcast. so this looks normal? My point and shoot dig cam doesn't have that brightness on the image.

Brightness has to do with the exposure. Any of the shooting modes will give you the same exposure, so that's not the issue.

You can easily adjust the exposure by using EC (exposure compensation) or by shooting in manual mode.

A bit of advice; you don't need to use those 'picture' modes like landscape, portrait etc. You can do everything you need to do with the 4 main shooting modes...P, Av, Tv & M.

I just received a hand me down on a Canon 20D. I'm a total noob.
Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

I've taken several shots with the basic 'landscape' and 'portrait' default modes and I noticed the brightness.
Photography tips: are you metering correctly?

All About Exposure

Fine-Tuning Exposure with a Digital Camera's Metering System

How to Use Exposure on Your DSLR / Digital Camera

Exposure Metering

I haven't adjusted any setting such as 'white balance' etc. but I 've used only the default modes.

Is my 20D faulty or is it just a settings thing?
I don't think the 20D is faulty. Time to get out of AUTO Mode and learn how to use those other shooting modes (P, Av, Tv and M) so that you have creative control over your pictures, not the camera.

The Exposure Triangle – In Beginner Speak “The End of Auto Mode"

Understand Digital Photography exposure – The Exposure Triangle

Understanding Exposure with the Exposure Triangle

Exposure Triangle

Lens Aperture Explained – Exposure Triangle Pt.1

Shutter Speed – Exposure Triangle Pt.2

ISO – Exposure Triangle Pt.3

Found your problem
exif data said:
Exposure Mode = auto exposure
The ISO is 400, with f/5.6 and 1/80 shutter... yeah, if that's what the processor says is right, there's a problem. I don't know... can the 20d's processor be overridden somehow in the auto modes?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the valuable information. I will post any new developments.

The 20D is a great camera, both BigMike and I will vouch for it. Try learning to use the four main exposure modes, like mike said. and read up on some of the links posted above. The 20D is kind of an old camera by today's standards, but it still out shoots any P&S and is arguably better than many current entry level DSLRS.

Most reactions

Back