Canon 24-105mm f4 L for 60d? great deal just don't know...

Tacotino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i'm on Vaca with the family, and shopping on C-list I have found a 24-105mm f/4 L for 600 buxs.. So what do I do.. I call of course. After finding out this was a kit lens for a 5d m2 and he doesn't have a box, he offered to show me [FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]receipt. So where what it comes down too, i'm saving up to buy a Full Frame cam, and a better lens. I want to shoot weddings, [/FONT]portrait, and other fun stuff like that. I'm going to start my on freelance biss. Now from what I have read this is a great Lens (for a full frame) and i've seen great reviews, the only downside is that its loses a stop from its brother, the 24-70mm 2.8 now i know this seems to be big deal, making you use a "longer" shutter speed having the chance of missing the shot (cuz ppl move) but i use a flash in almost all my photos (Almost all) allowing me to use a faster shutter without messing too much up. but as of now i'm using the 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 and I've gotten a lot of complements from my work. I do rent lenses and cams when I do real big jobs like weddings, going off topic a bit. Real Q is can i use this with my 60d and get the job needed done for weddings and other events? or should i just save and save?

The one area where I think f/2.8 is more important is during the ceremony when you can't use flash. At that same time, you probably also can't get particularly close. I use a 70-200mm f/2.8 for those shots and also have a 135mm f/2.

I do use the 24-70 f/2.8 and for weddings I'd prefer this over the 24-105 f/4 but the 24-70 f/2.8 is an expensive lens, but when I'm using this I'm in more control of lighting as it's not "during" the ceremony (in most churches, synagogues, etc. you may not use a flash "during" the official part of the ceremony, but you may use it before/after.)

I found the 24-105 a better lens on my 60D (before I upgraded to FF) than the 18-135. Although the 18-135 had a fantastic zoom range, it quickly moved towards the f5.6 range while zooming, making all inside shots require a flash. On the 60D, the f4 will get some shots without a flash, but usually at higher ISOs and slow shutter speeds (1/60 and slower). My limit was generally ISO 1600 as 3200 was a bit too noisy for my tastes. So, in general, you'll need to use your flash with the 24-105 as well.

Like you, I knew I would one day move to full-frame, especially as I spent many years with 35mm film photography. Knowing this was why I upgraded all my glass away from EF-S to EF lenses over time before I could afford a 5D3. The improved IQ of L glass is immediately noticable as well.

At $600, a new 24-105 is a steal. New, in a labelled box, they're $1000+. But, first make sure it IS a new lens or close to it(checking wear and tear on the electrical contacts at the rear is my primary method), and that it was purchased with USA warranty. Not that you'd ever need warranty coverage on it, but from what I've read, Canon USA won't touch a non-USA lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back