Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 L OR.....

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok.. here I am talking about canon L lens again. I have the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 and I am not happy about it. It looks like the AF is hit or miss. The IQ isnt that great even when I made the aperture smaller to around f/4. This happens more ofthen when I am in low light or it is a lot brighter behind the subject. So I just listed it on CL for sale and I want to either get the canon L version OR keep the money and save it for the 70-200mm f/2.8 L. I read the review on B&H, it did get 5 stars but it scared me when I read the negative reviews. I dont want to be on the same boat again like the sigma. Comments and suggestions? Shall I just get the 70-200mm and be stuck with either my 50 and kit lens for a wider angle?

When you talk about IQ, do you mean sharpness? F4 probably isn't going to be the sharpest for a lens whose range starts at 2.8. I would guess that it will be somewhere closer to F8/11. Any lens will struggle with AF in low light. Contrast in the subject makes for easier focusing which won't be there in low light. Can you AF to get close and then MF to refine the shot? How much are you asking for the Sigma, btw?

Can you rent a 24-70L and try it out and do a bit of comparison shopping?

The 24-70L will still AF in low light but it will hunt. It's sharp as heck, though, even wide open (creep up on 5.6-8 and it can be mind blowing for a zoom). It's AF is far faster than the 3rd party lenses of the same range (that I've tried, sigma and tamron).

and there might be the IS version coming! GRRR.. I wish I had all the money so the decision is not as hard.

The IS version is like an urban legend, no one really knows anything but there have been myths and rumors for years. From what I can gather if it comes out it will likely be with the 1DsMIV which isn't supposed to be released for at least another year (as the rumors go). Either way it is going to cost considerably more than the non IS version. I can honestly say though that the current version is a great lens. Somewhere around 95% of all of my photos are taken with it. Of all the lenses I own, it is the one lens I would keep if I could only keep one.

I guess we'll wait until Photokina in a few days to see what is going to be out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back