Canon 5D IV, rain and snow protection

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I have a 5D IV with battery grip, 70-200 III L, 100-400 II L and the 600 EXII-RT flash. I'd like to shoot in the snow and light rain but I don't like the idea of the camera or lenses taking on the weather. I don't like bulky or restrictive gear, recommendations?

An umbrella that could clip into the hot shoe would be an awesome idea! Lol

I've got Lenscoat rain sleeves (one large, one medium) that I used with my old 7D. I still have a couple of non weather sealed lenses I use with my 5Dmkiv, so I do bring them with me when I shoot.

Light rain or light snow I wouldn't worry about in the slightest with weather sealing in the camera and lens. But if it gets heavier or I'm out for prolonged periods in wet conditions or salt water I'd use them for cover.

i wouldn't worry about it very much. just wipe it dry when you're done. don't stick wet gear in a bag and let it sit for a few months.

I have the 6D Mark II and took in on a canoe trip through rainy conditions with L series lens. To me it is part of why you pay up for water sealing. It will feel strange at first but you should be confident that short of a thorough dowsing, your gear is made for this.

I've got Lenscoat rain sleeves (one large, one medium) that I used with my old 7D. I still have a couple of non weather sealed lenses I use with my 5Dmkiv, so I do bring them with me when I shoot.

Light rain or light snow I wouldn't worry about in the slightest with weather sealing in the camera and lens. But if it gets heavier or I'm out for prolonged periods in wet conditions or salt water I'd use them for cover.

Pretty much this. I have even seen carrier bags being used as a stop gap method although I wouldn't recommend that for long term use;)

Get some Scalia gel to absorb moisture after use

I've read in a few places that the weather sealing isn't meant for "weather" but more if you accidentally get caught in something it won't get ruined from quick exposure.

I've read in a few places that the weather sealing isn't meant for "weather" but more if you accidentally get caught in something it won't get ruined from quick exposure.

Canon will certainly hedge as they're on the hook for the warranty. It is probably better than we think but I won't test that assumption. Brief light rain and then it's back in the bag or some other protection. How good can shots be in heavy rain with droplets on the front element?

Yeah. I've invested a lot of money into my equipment (hobby). Hard to think about damaging it when it doesn't make me money.

Yeah. I've invested a lot of money into my equipment (hobby). Hard to think about damaging it when it doesn't make me money.

Makes sense. Everyone has to balance risk and reward.

This was shot in drizzle from a canoe on the Boundary Waters with a 6D Mark II and a 300mm F 4 L and a 1.4 TC. There was lots of rain on the trip and the camera was in a rugged dry bag when it was not being used. There were so many other incredibly memorable images from this adventure. The reward was worth the risk and I will always pay up for water sealing.

20190524164344_IMG_2162-02_copy_1134x637.jpeg

It’s always a balance.
I have an old 1100d and kit lens that I take out when I walk the dogs
The trade in value is very low so I use it when there a chance of damage

Neither the 1D X nor the 5D Mark IV are "weatherproof." Canon refers to both as 'weather resistant'. If you use either in the rain and water damages the camera it is not covered under warranty. i would suggest you to add extra layer of protection to your camera so you can save it from water and rain and dont end up ruining it. mybkexperience mcdvoice

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back