CF Tripod

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Philmar

Philmar TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    5D IV with battery grip & 100-400 L with 1.4x tele is a lot of weight....considering you'll need a quality ball head as well, I don't think you'll find decent legs at that price. I'd hold off until you can afford a better set of legs because you'll just end up buying a more expensive set later when you see the limitations of the cheaper ones. An expensive tripod will last a decade or more so think about cost amortization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Pixeldawg1

Pixeldawg1 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You may want to try looking online at Ali Baba. I have a CF tripod that is well made, can do many different things (like, has a built-in monopod and easily changes from ball head to a fluid head for video) and I paid less than $300 for it. Made in China, and thus the Ali Baba reference. I had a very big Manfrotto that I called "The beast". When I needed it, it was great, but damn, was it heavy and I hated lugging it around. I wrote and article for (I think) Popular Photography & Imaging (May have been the Adorama Learning Center- I forget) about purchasing a tripod and the leg fasteners are of course important (never buy the "clip" ones, always the screw/fasten models) but when talking to different manufacturers, their "rule of thumb" was for every one ounce of camera/lens, the tripod should be able to support an equivalent in pounds. So, 12 ounces of camera, get a tripod that will support 12 pounds or more. Most good tripods will support 100 pounds and more, so this should never be an issue, but choose carefully and be sure you get the specs prior to plunking down the cash.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  3. TreeofLifeStairs

TreeofLifeStairs No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    That the exact one I’ve got. Really sturdy but also very portable. I’ve hiked some fairly rugged terrain for several miles with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cincinnati

Cincinnati TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. mariah1902

mariah1902 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buying a tripod is one of the greatest hassle as my persona experience is not that good. I was bought a tripod when I was a beginner in photography and the tripod gave me so much headache. It often tend to loosen the screws and once my camera even fall for it. It was a minor scratch but still a scratch is a scratch. Whatever you buy please buy something that is solid and do not ever hesitate to spend money on a tripod because it holds your expensive camera. Buy a branded one and stay tension free.

6. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

It took me a moment to work out that you were looking for a carbon fibre tripod and not a girl friend tri pod
    Manfrotto have got a sale on