Canon 5d Mark ii or save up for 7d mark ii or really save up 5d Markiii

bullitt_bee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to read my first post. I am an armature photographer who would like to move toward photography as a profession. I am signed up for some classes starting in the spring to expand on my knowledge base.

Right now I am using a Rebel T3, which has been great to learn on, but feel I need to upgrade to make the next step. I have targeted the 5d mark III as the Camera I want, however, it will be awhile saving for it, and I have been told that I should look at getting an older full frame body to practice with while I save. There are some used 5d Mark II body for sale in my area $500-$900 CAD, but I am hesitant to spend that much money on a Mark ii when that money could go toward the Mark III. I guess my question is, should I get the Mark II and get used to using a full frame body while I save for my dream Camera, or continue to save and use my T3. Would I notice a huge difference between my T3 and the Mark II? (that might be a loaded question sorry). Thanks again everyone for your advice and opinions!

Welcome to the site.

I'll ask you a question about your current camera. What about it is holding you back at this point?

Going to a full frame body is something that is really nice but isn't always necessary. It really depends on what you are photographing whether or not the FF is going to be beneficial.

That being said, there is a significant difference between the T3 and the 5D mk II as it relates to image sensor and low light capabilities. I rented one when I had my T3i and was shocked at the difference in the images in low lighting.

Another thing to consider is what glass do you currently have? If you only have EF-S glass, then you are going to have to get different glass for a full frame body since the EF-S will not work on the 5D's.

The 5d2 and 7d2 have radically different strong points. If you need to ask between these 2 you don't yet know what you need so wait until you know and don't waste your money

The 5d2 and 7d2 have radically different strong points. If you need to ask between these 2 you don't yet know what you need so wait until you know and don't waste your money

That's exactly what I was going to write.. that and.. which lenses he has at the moment.

A lot of people use a T2/T3i etc for a year with the 18-55 kit lens and want a better body
when they figure out it's time to upgrade, and the lenses make A LOT more of a difference.

Here's a shot from my T2i:

TK Wonder
by Dalibor Bauernfrajnd, on Flickr

Can you get images like these, bullitt_bee?
If you can and still want better, then yes, you need a better body, but the 7d vs 5d issue still stands.

I'll add one more thing to the mix, as I just noticed this. The 7D mk II is a crop sensor and NOT a full frame camera.

I'll add one more thing to the mix, as I just noticed this. The 7D mk II is a crop sensor and NOT a full frame camera.

I sure hope you didn't figure that one out just now considering you already own the damn thing. :D

I sure hope you didn't figure that one out just now considering you already own the damn thing. :D

No Sir, I just wanted to make sure that the OP knew that, since my comments were made toward the FF bodies. (I want to add a 5D mk III to my stable but it's going to have to wait.)

If' he's not aware of that difference, he's not going to know what that means either. :-/

Thank you for all the replies!! My current set-up, glass wise is:
Sigma 18-300mm f3.5-6.3
Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my portraits

I am mainly shooting friends and family portraits (indoors and out) I have set up a studio with a budget lighting kit from Cowboy studio.
I have done a wedding as budget option (free lol)
I would upload a couple of photos but I'm on my work computer, but that is a nice photo DB_cro. I would say I am right there with you as far as image quality goes.
It's not that I don't know the difference between 5d2 and 7d2, its I wanted a valid opinion on the logical next step. 7d2 can use my existing lenses, but its a crop camera ects

Thanks agian

I think your biggest limiters right now are glass and lighting. Portraiture is not exactly taxing on a camera body. What matters most is knowing how to light and compose the image.

Most reactions

Back