Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Fresh (ish) from Canon.

22.3 mp
61 point AF
6 frames per second
CF and SD card slots

UK price £3,000.

Have Canon done the right thing? hmmm... i'm not so sure. At this price point I can't see it enticing many mark II users to switch, and whilst the increased fps is an interesting addition, I think most sports shooters will either stick to the 7D or stump up an extra couple of hundred quid and go for the 1D mark IV.
I just think £3k is too much for what it is.

Well, the new AF system is supposedly good. I can't seem to find which camera they pulled it from, whether it was the 1Dx, the 7D (like the metering system) or something else. That, an extra meesley 2,200,000 pixels (not important, though), and more focusing points are really the only things I can see that have majorly changed. I'd say no good for $3500 body-only when 5DII are roughly $2k now. It'll probably sell like hot cakes, though.

Mark

Last edited:
There are a good number of improvements, more than just the AF etc. I'm sure all the details will be discussed to death in the coming weeks.

As for the price, I doubt it will actually be selling at that price for long, if at all. Usually, there is the initial announcement price, but the street price will be lower. Then, once all the orders are filled in the first several months, the price may level out to something a bit lower.

When the 5D/5DII was released, the price was iifc, over $3000, maybe even $3500.

Well, the new AF system is supposedly good. I can't seem to find which camera they pulled it from, whether it was the 1Dx, the 7D (like the metering system) or something else. That, an extra meesley 200,000 pixels (not important, though), and more focusing points are really the only things I can see that have majorly changed. I'd say no good for $3500 body-only when 5DII are roughly $2k now. It'll probably sell like hot cakes, though.

Mark

It's a new sensors though. The 5D MKII doesn't have the gapless microlenses on it like the 1D IV did. It's supposed to help it with noise even further. If it delivers solid ISO performance and good image quality along with the better weather resistance. Plus it's native hi-ISO is at 25,600 and not 6,400 like the MK II.

It's going to be interesting to see how it performs next to the D800 at all ISO levels with the D800's images shrunk down to 22.3MP. That'll make apparent noise less. That was always to arguement brought up againt the D700 with the MK II but the Nikon fan boys would say that it's not fair to shrink the 5D MKII down to the same MP to compare noise.

A funny comment I read yesterday when the specs leaked was a poster on POTN saying that Canon no longer has a good portraiture/landscape camera. WTF? It's the 5D MKII but better and everyone praised that for being a great portraiture/landscape camera.

There are a good number of improvements, more than just the AF etc. I'm sure all the details will be discussed to death in the coming weeks.

As for the price, I doubt it will actually be selling at that price for long, if at all. Usually, there is the initial announcement price, but the street price will be lower. Then, once all the orders are filled in the first several months, the price may level out to something a bit lower.

When the 5D/5DII was released, the price was iifc, over $3000, maybe even $3500.

The 5D MKII was priced at $2700 right off the bat and sold with a kit lens for something like $3200-$3400, IIRC. It stayed at $2,700 for the body for quite a while because of the high demand for the camera.

That was probably the street price...the MSRP was probably higher.

From Dpreview on the 5DmkII
Announced: Sep 17, 2008
Price range: $2,900 - $3,630

Adorama's article is pretty good on it. Canon EOS 5D Mark III: First Look from Adorama Learning Center

I am sold-it's a BIG improvement over the 5d2. Although the impulse to pre-order was there last night when it was announced, I am thinking I'll wait 6 months for the bugs to be worked out and for the price to drop.

And yes, I am thinking of it for some of my sports use. The 6fps works for me and the ISO improvement works even more! I have a few particular gyms and situations I am dying to get in there with this camera for.
The idea of that expanded ISO and less noise at high ISO's has me dreaming of weddings in my favorite gothic church/dungeon.
The new focus system had me dreaming of actually loving my 5D instead of the love hate I had with the 5d2.

Here's a nice comparison to the Nikon D800 too... Canon EOS 5D Mark II vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800 | planet5D - HDSLR community

Last edited:
Just spent about over an hour at B&H site reading review and public comments. Don't go there if you'd like to read positive comments about Canon and this camera:). There is about 1 positive comment for 10 negative ones. And all because of the price disappointment!..
I understand this is the next step in 5D series so I am definitely not expecting a whole brand-new design and 100s of outstanding new features but $3,500 looked a bit steep to me. It surely is that Canon trying to take the advantage of the good selling history of MkII.
In the electronics world I know, when a new product comes in to replace the older one, the new one generally gets the same price tag and the older one gets discountinued and its price dropped. Canon will for sure discontinue the 5D MkII at some point but their price strategy seemed didn't match what people would expect to see.
There will be many out there ready to buy this camera w/o thinking. I would think most will because they will want to have a new product and $3,500 may not be a big deal for them. But at the same time, for many that are happy with 5D MkII, I can't imagine that they would sell what they have (lost money on it) and then pay the difference to upgrade to this model. If I had 5D MkII, I don't think I would be willing to upgrade.
If the price comes down a good bit as Mike predicted, it may sell well. Otherwise this camera will just help the 5D MkII keep its price level for much longer (especially if they discontinue that model).

Out of all the new features this camera has, the one thing I would love to test would be the native-high ISO and low noise performance. If true, this could be a way to take professional quality indoor pictures w/o needing any flash at all.

It looks like a really nice body.

Maybe I should trade in all my Nikon gear. :)

Adorama's article is pretty good on it. Canon EOS 5D Mark III: First Look from Adorama Learning Center

I am sold-it's a BIG improvement over the 5d2. Although the impulse to pre-order was there last night when it was announced, I am thinking I'll wait 6 months for the bugs to be worked out and for the price to drop.

And yes, I am thinking of it for some of my sports use. The 6fps works for me and the ISO improvement works even more! I have a few particular gyms and situations I am dying to get in there with this camera for.
The idea of that expanded ISO and less noise at high ISO's has me dreaming of weddings in my favorite gothic church/dungeon.
The new focus system had me dreaming of actually loving my 5D instead of the love hate I had with the 5d2.

Here's a nice comparison to the Nikon D800 too... Canon EOS 5D Mark II vs Canon EOS 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800 | planet5D - HDSLR community

In your bottom link, comparisons...it says the MkIII allows "multi-exposure"...up to 9. ¿What does this mean?
Multiple exposure to one "frame"? I wonder if that has to do with the HDR feature?

At first I thought it was bracketing, but that is listed lower as allowing 3/5/7 bracketed frames, which is awesome!

I'm confused now.perhaps cause i am not very familiar with canon eqpt.
Why is the Nikon D800 around 500$ cheaper than the Canon 5DMark III ?
Which speca are causing this price difference?
Are they considered to be same class cameras? or is the Mark III in the class of the d700 or the expected D700s?

In your bottom link, comparisons...it says the MkIII allows "multi-exposure"...up to 9. ¿What does this mean?
Multiple exposure to one "frame"? I wonder if that has to do with the HDR feature?

At first I thought it was bracketing, but that is listed lower as allowing 3/5/7 bracketed frames, which is awesome!

I've read that the multiple exposure feature is designed to be just like shooting multiple exposures on film. You can click several times without "advancing the film" so to speak. It sports an additive mode, which will perform as film would, but it also does averaging and other modes. You can even output the results in RAW!

Seems like a cool creative feature, could save some time in post depending on the situation I think. There are plenty of times I've done this after the fact just using multiple frames.

I'm confused now.perhaps cause i am not very familiar with canon eqpt.
Why is the Nikon D800 around 500$ cheaper than the Canon 5DMark III ?
Which speca are causing this price difference?
Are they considered to be same class cameras? or is the Mark III in the class of the d700 or the expected D700s?

The 5D III and D800 do seem to have different targets to me...

The D800 seems to be marketed almost exclusively at studio and landscape photographers who need high resolution above all else.

The 5D III seems more like a "do everything" full frame, which I guess makes it more like the D700. It has a higher burst rate, cutting edge ISO performance, robust video modes, additional creative features like the HDR and multiple exposures mentioned, and plenty of resolution for most people.

There are some rumors that Canon intends to release a competitor to the D800, called either the 3D or 5Dx, which is supposedly 40mpixel and more studio targeted than the 5D MkIII.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back