Canon 5D MKII used in filming Captain 'Murica.

It was used in filming House, and Iron Man 2. Why is this so far fetched? It's probably used in filming other productions as well, but it's not an actor so it normally doesn't get credited.

It has also been used in Saturday Night Live.

YES, the 2009 Saturday Night Live opening sequences, and the commercial parody "Bladdivan" were shot with a Canon d-slr. The 5D's sensor is so big that it gives exceptionally shallow depth of field, especially when used at night, as was the case in the SNL opening credits, which are shot on New York CIty streets, outdoors, at night. The DOF is so shallow that even in the 3- and 4-second clips of the actors, you can see them slipping out of focus as they turn their heads or move. Same thing with the Lissie video cover of Lad Gaga's Bad Romance...great song, great performance, but the DOF is so,so shallow it's impossible for the cameraman to keep his focus, so the video is full of very short cuts. ‪Lady Gaga - Bad Romance - live cover - Lissie‬‏ - YouTube

If you go to YouTube and download the raw video in the .FLV format, the video will open up as a pretty good-sized video of 1280 pixels wide. You can see how tricky the shallow DOF is in the 50-second range as she just stands at the microphone and sings. Same thing around the 2:10 mark...the DOF on a close-up of a person is extremely shallow in "real world" type shooting. The whole video is a pretty good demonstration of what FF d-slr video looks like.

A really cool comparison of the Canon 5D, the Canon 7D, and the Nikon D3s and a Panasonic small-format digital, shot side-by-side against motion picture film cameras is located at the link below, at the Zacuto web site. Zacuto won an Emmy in November of 2010 for outstanding achievement in a program series, for their work in bringing together Hollywood directors, cinematographers, and directors of photography to compared d-slr video against motion picture film. Resolution, green screen ability, exposure latitude, and some other characteristics were compared. Film did not far so well...and neither did the Canon's when ISO sensitivities went high...that's where Canon bombed out of the competition...

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 - Film Vs DSLR Comparison

T
his is around 90 minutes worth of comparison in three separate videos, and it's really quite interesting to watch it and see how d-slr video performs differently than film does.

You can take great video with a d90 and a olympus ep1 as well. I think it comes down to the skill of the videographer and their post production skills.

What is "house"?
Ahhhhh you havent heard of it???

Its like.... The best programme ever made!!! And did you know the 5D Mark II was used to film it???

The Canon 5D MK2 was used to film it! Yeah amazing, yeah man amazing! I'm still shocked people don't know that the 5D Mark II was used to film an episode....:lmao:

LOL wut?

Cinescopophilia Cine Camera Gear For Filmmakers

So well did the production crew feel the Canon 5D Mark II perform, Greg Yaitanes led the charge to bringing the Canon 5D Mark II on as a regular tool for the production of almost every episode of Season 7, alongside the motion picture film cameras, with the footage cutting right in with, I’m sure, some careful massaging in post.

Ah well I heard it was one episode, clearly they are taking it on for more! I think the 5D MK 2 is a great camera I really do, amazing video.

But I'm just so bored of people mentioning it! Come on Village, I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist here. But do you really think directors are going to say they were influenced by Canon to test out the 5D MKII?

I still have a strong sense a company like Canon who are well known for mass marketing, might be involved here somewhere. Look at the amount of video hype their cameras have received since the 5D MKII has been featured in Big budget productions??

Why has the Panasonic GH2 not been used? When it is rated as better at video than the 5D MKII.

Seeing you want to say I'm being jealous here, I have great respect for Canon as a brand and as a camera maker. TBH, I'm not jealous at all of the 5D MKII. I want to do video, but wouldn't know what the heck I was doing. Derrel points out that shooting DSLR video properly requires extra set ups. Can I tell you what I am really jealous of...

I'm really jealous of the fact that the 5D Mark II has banding present in the shadows at Low ISO's and my Nikon D90 dosen't. That is the main thing I'm really jealous of.

What is "house"?

Its like.... The best programme ever made!!! And did you know the 5D Mark II was used to film it???

The Canon 5D MK2 was used to film it! Yeah amazing, yeah man amazing! I'm still shocked people don't know that the 5D Mark II was used to film an episode....:lmao:

I heard the 5D mark II also directed a couple of episodes, before quitting to check into rehab saying it was 'exhausted'....

OH WOW I'm so impressed! Canon have paid for them to use the 5D MARK II, now all Canon users will have to go round telling everyone the 5D was used for video in Captain Murica and it was also used to film 'House'?? God If I have another Canon user telling me 'Did you know the 5D mark II was used to film House??' I will reach for a gun!

This isn't sarcastic honest!! :lol: Did you know they used the 5D Mark II to film 'House'???? I hope you did know that!!

Canon didn't have to pay them anything. Nikon is just catching up in the HDSLR market and until the D7000(iir, may have been the lower end model before that) didn't have a camera that would even do 1080p. They're also limited in the filming formats. Canon has been ontop of the HDSLR game since the release of their first camera with video, the 5D MKII.

I was also used in Iron Man 2 and probably a lot of other productions. I know if you go to cinema5d.com, you'll find professionals using it to film indie movies, music videos, and ad work. It's really an amazing camera and I can see why a Nikon user would be jealous.

I am not sure if the above comments are sarcasm or not. If the Nikon were superior for what they wanted... Wouldn't they be using it? Its not like buying a few would even change their budget? I am guessing sarcasm, just making sure...

Mine was. Canon has camera that will do 60fps @ 720p which lends to a 30fps slow-mo as opposed to trying to take 30fps or 24fps and slow it down for slow-mo and only getting 15fps or 12 fps, looking choppy, and having to use program to try and fix it in post. They also have a larger range of formats for their HDSLRs than Nikon. I think Nikon has a camera that will do 1080p @ 24fps where canon has 1080p @ 24fps, 30fps, and one other I don't remember off the top of my head in most all of their HDSLRs. Plus with Canon, you can have a FF HDSLR for $2,500.

What is "house"?

A medical drama about an asshole doctor who's team diagnoses illneses.

Nikon was the first to offer a DSLR that could also shoot video....The D90.

Why has the Panasonic GH2 not been used? When it is rated as better at video than the 5D MKII.

I think one of the reason is the lenses.

I remembered I saw it in the other forum few years ago that people hack their existing video camera (I do not think they are using their cam for Hollywood movies) so that they can mount SLR lenses in front of the camera to achieve shallow DoF.

It was used in filming House, and Iron Man 2. Why is this so far fetched? It's probably used in filming other productions as well, but it's not an actor so it normally doesn't get credited.

It has also been used in Saturday Night Live.

YES, the 2009 Saturday Night Live opening sequences, and the commercial parody "Bladdivan" were shot with a Canon d-slr. The 5D's sensor is so big that it gives exceptionally shallow depth of field, especially when used at night, as was the case in the SNL opening credits, which are shot on New York CIty streets, outdoors, at night. The DOF is so shallow that even in the 3- and 4-second clips of the actors, you can see them slipping out of focus as they turn their heads or move. Same thing with the Lissie video cover of Lad Gaga's Bad Romance...great song, great performance, but the DOF is so,so shallow it's impossible for the cameraman to keep his focus, so the video is full of very short cuts. ‪Lady Gaga - Bad Romance - live cover - Lissie‬‏ - YouTube

If you go to YouTube and download the raw video in the .FLV format, the video will open up as a pretty good-sized video of 1280 pixels wide. You can see how tricky the shallow DOF is in the 50-second range as she just stands at the microphone and sings. Same thing around the 2:10 mark...the DOF on a close-up of a person is extremely shallow in "real world" type shooting. The whole video is a pretty good demonstration of what FF d-slr video looks like.

A really cool comparison of the Canon 5D, the Canon 7D, and the Nikon D3s and a Panasonic small-format digital, shot side-by-side against motion picture film cameras is located at the link below, at the Zacuto web site. Zacuto won an Emmy in November of 2010 for outstanding achievement in a program series, for their work in bringing together Hollywood directors, cinematographers, and directors of photography to compared d-slr video against motion picture film. Resolution, green screen ability, exposure latitude, and some other characteristics were compared. Film did not far so well...and neither did the Canon's when ISO sensitivities went high...that's where Canon bombed out of the competition...

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 - Film Vs DSLR Comparison

T
his is around 90 minutes worth of comparison in three separate videos, and it's really quite interesting to watch it and see how d-slr video performs differently than film does.

Didn't you copy and paste the response you use in every HDSLR thread? You don't have to shoot wide open and shoot with telephoto lenses. Yes, it's not the most perfect video camera in the world, but it's doing amazing things for being a sub $3,000 DSLR. When did Sony, Canon, Panasonic, or any of the manufactures change the game with a consumer level digital video camera like Canon has with the 5D MKII. I don't see directors, producers, and cameramen bragging about how they're shooting scenes or entire episodes with the Sony NEX-VG10.

LOL wut?

Cinescopophilia Cine Camera Gear For Filmmakers

So well did the production crew feel the Canon 5D Mark II perform, Greg Yaitanes led the charge to bringing the Canon 5D Mark II on as a regular tool for the production of almost every episode of Season 7, alongside the motion picture film cameras, with the footage cutting right in with, I’m sure, some careful massaging in post.

Ah well I heard it was one episode, clearly they are taking it on for more! I think the 5D MK 2 is a great camera I really do, amazing video.

But I'm just so bored of people mentioning it! Come on Village, I don't want to be a conspiracy theorist here. But do you really think directors are going to say they were influenced by Canon to test out the 5D MKII?

I still have a strong sense a company like Canon who are well known for mass marketing, might be involved here somewhere. Look at the amount of video hype their cameras have received since the 5D MKII has been featured in Big budget productions??

Seeing you want to say I'm being jealous here, I have great respect for Canon as a brand and as a camera maker. TBH, I'm not jealous at all of the 5D MKII. I want to do video, but wouldn't know what the heck I was doing. Derrel points out that shooting DSLR video properly requires extra set ups. Can I tell you what I am really jealous of...

I'm really jealous of the fact that the 5D Mark II has banding present in the shadows at Low ISO's and my Nikon D90 dosen't. That is the main thing I'm really jealous of.

This thread is about video. If you want to start a thread comparing the merits of the D90 against the 5D MK II, like the smaller MP count, higher density pixel count, the smaller sensor, or anything else, feel free to go start a thread about that.

OH WOW I'm so impressed! Canon have paid for them to use the 5D MARK II, now all Canon users will have to go round telling everyone the 5D was used for video in Captain Murica and it was also used to film 'House'?? God If I have another Canon user telling me 'Did you know the 5D mark II was used to film House??' I will reach for a gun!

This isn't sarcastic honest!! :lol: Did you know they used the 5D Mark II to film 'House'???? I hope you did know that!!

Canon didn't have to pay them anything. Nikon is just catching up in the HDSLR market and until the D7000(iir, may have been the lower end model before that) didn't have a camera that would even do 1080p. They're also limited in the filming formats. Canon has been ontop of the HDSLR game since the release of their first camera with video, the 5D MKII.

I was also used in Iron Man 2 and probably a lot of other productions. I know if you go to cinema5d.com, you'll find professionals using it to film indie movies, music videos, and ad work. It's really an amazing camera and I can see why a Nikon user would be jealous.

Mine was. Canon has camera that will do 60fps @ 720p which lends to a 30fps slow-mo as opposed to trying to take 30fps or 24fps and slow it down for slow-mo and only getting 15fps or 12 fps, looking choppy, and having to use program to try and fix it in post. They also have a larger range of formats for their HDSLRs than Nikon. I think Nikon has a camera that will do 1080p @ 24fps where canon has 1080p @ 24fps, 30fps, and one other I don't remember off the top of my head in most all of their HDSLRs. Plus with Canon, you can have a FF HDSLR for $2,500.

What is "house"?

A medical drama about an asshole doctor who's team diagnoses illneses.

Nikon was the first to offer a DSLR that could also shoot video....The D90.

I never said it wasn't.

Didn't you copy and paste the response you use in every HDSLR thread?

No, I did not copy and paste anything...I pounded out that thread from scratch, in a couple of minutes. I do not "copy and paste"--I am a capable researcher and writer, unlike some people around here. I provided links to almost 90 minutes' worth of professionally-done, impartial comparison testing of MULTIPLE d-slr video systems, from Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic, as well as the motion picture industry's long-term standard, FILM. My post was about the camera you mentioned, the Canon 5D Mark II, and how it had been used in the SNL Opening credits, as well as to shoot the first commerical parody of the 2009 season, the Bladdivan parody, as well as the Lissie cover of Bad Romance. I even gave a specific LINK to the Lissie video, and two sections worthy of reviewing. Stop being such a big douchebag, okay...your personal hard-on for me is embarrassing you, Village Idiot.

Judging by the time stamp on your post, it's pretty clear that you did not even WATCH the 90 minutes' worth of footage that Zacuto provides on the web. You know, their "Great Camera Shoot-out" series, the 2010 Special Emmy-award winning, three-segment video d-slr shootout. Nope, just going off half-cocked again, aren't you. My time zone and yours are set differently, and I see that you just began mouthing off without having watched my links to the d-slr VIDEO COMPARISONS. Again...Village Idiot, try and keep focus on the topic at hand, and focus less on attacking me. Mmmkay??? Once again,to recap, I wrote an ALL-new post, today, and linked to The Great Camera Shootout. 90 minutes' worth of Hollywood professionals, in the motion picture and TV business, comparing Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic video systems against one another, and against film.

Here it is, again. Maybe you could WATCH it and actually learn something? The Great Camera Shootout 2010 - Film Vs DSLR Comparison

Last edited by a moderator:
Village Idiot said:
Didn't you copy and paste the response you use in every HDSLR thread?
Village Idiot said:
No, I did not copy and paste anything...I pounded out that thread from scratch, in a couple of minutes. I do not "copy and paste"--I am a capable researcher and writer, unlike some people around here. I provided links to almost 90 minutes' worth of professionally-done, impartial comparison testing of MULTIPLE d-slr video systems, from Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic, as well as the motion picture industry's long-term standard, FILM. My post was about the camera you mentioned, the Canon 5D Mark II, and how it had been used in the SNL Opening credits, as well as to shoot the first commerical parody of the 2009 season, the Bladdivan parody, as well as the Lissie cover of Bad Romance. I even gave a specific LINK to the Lissie video, and two sections worthy of reviewing. Stop being such a big douchebag, okay...your personal hard-on for me is embarrassing you, Village Idiot.

Judging by the time stamp on your post, it's pretty clear that you did not even WATCH the 90 minutes' worth of footage that Zacuto provides on the web. You know, their "Great Camera Shoot-out" series, the 2010 Special Emmy-award winning, three-segment video d-slr shootout. Nope, just going off half-cocked again, aren't you. My time zone and yours are set differently, and I see that you just began mouthing off without having watched my links to the d-slr VIDEO COMPARISONS. Again...Village Idiot, try and keep focus on the topic at hand, and focus less on attacking me. Mmmkay??? Once again,to recap, I wrote an ALL-new post, today, and linked to The Great Camera Shootout. 90 minutes' worth of Hollywood professionals, in the motion picture and TV business, comparing Canon, Nikon, and Panasonic video systems against one another, and against film.

Here it is, again. Maybe you could WATCH it and actually learn something? The Great Camera Shootout 2010 - Film Vs DSLR Comparison

That's because I watched it the last time you posted that post up in an HDSLR thread where you made sure that you're were saying something negative about Canon.

I hear rumor it was used in a episode of House. Haha

Is there a payed Canon shill on this forum??? Sure seems like it...Never heard of a Canon shill? You know, one of those people who gets payed under the table to go around and pretend to be a regular guy, but who really is one of many satellite employees of Canon's marketing department....you know, part of their big guerilla astroturf marketing force...

Remember--I am the guy who spent around $10,000 of his OWN, CASH MONEY on Canon equipment, to go along with my 30+ years' worth of Nikon gear...I'm the guy who shoots BOTH Canon, AND Nikon gear...I am the guy whose avatar picture is me, holding my 5D + grip and normal lens...I'm the guy who can tell you the differences between Canon gear and Nikon gear from my own, personal, experience with BOTH brands....not some pro-Canon fanboy who has a hard-on for anybody who shoots something else...

Canon's marketing department will stop at almost NOTHING...

http://blog.kareldonk.com/the-digital-picturecom-deletes-anti-canon-post-about-the-eos-5d-mark-ii/

M
y favorite though, might be the fact that the blog Canon Filmmakers.com was forced to cease and desist this immediately past June!!! A web blog dedicated to making films with Canon d-slr's was...forced to shut down...by Canon!!!!

http://photographyvoice.com/article/700311/canonfilmmakerscom-forced-to-close-by-canon

Pisses me off no end, that the picture Gizmodo have used is actually of a sound blimp and not a filming rig at all!

Is there a payed Canon shill on this forum??? Sure seems like it...Never heard of a Canon shill? You know, one of those people who gets payed under the table to go around and pretend to be a regular guy, but who really is one of many satellite employees of Canon's marketing department....you know, part of their big guerilla astroturf marketing force...

Remember--I am the guy who spent around $10,000 of his OWN, CASH MONEY on Canon equipment, to go along with my 30+ years' worth of Nikon gear...I'm the guy who shoots BOTH Canon, AND Nikon gear...I am the guy whose avatar picture is me, holding my 5D + grip and normal lens...I'm the guy who can tell you the differences between Canon gear and Nikon gear from my own, personal, experience with BOTH brands....not some pro-Canon fanboy who has a hard-on for anybody who shoots something else...

http://blog.kareldonk.com/the-digital-picturecom-deletes-anti-canon-post-about-the-eos-5d-mark-ii/

M
y favorite though, might be the fact that the blog Canon Filmmakers.com was forced to cease and desist this immediately past June!!! A web blog dedicated to making films with Canon d-slr's was...forced to shut down...by Canon!!!!

CanonFilmmakers.com Forced to Close by... Canon! -- photographyvoice.com

My thoughts exactly, I was going to ask Derrel. You clearly have missed Village Idiots point, his point is that Canon is better than everyone else... and that all the directors in the world are going to throw their video cameras in the bin in exhange for a Canon 5D Mark II.

I have noticed he has somehow managed to ignore the comments about the 5D being used by directors being a Canon Marketing ploy, we can't know for sure that it is. But it certainly seems rather strange to me that Canon are getting so much marketing blurb off the back of these ventures, it seems it's got to the point that because directors use Canon, all the other manufacturers produce RUBBISH video because directors are only using Canon! Very clever on Canons part!

Instead of actually engaging me in discussion, he has personally accused me of being a jealous little kid because Nikon are not as good in his eyes!

I have just noticed something rather interesting though, Village idiot owns a Canon 5d Mark II! Soooo now we know who filmed the episode of House! It was Village Idiot, how do you find time out from filiming 'House' to comment on these forums?? haha.

M

CanonFilmmakers.com Forced to Close by... Canon! -- photographyvoice.com

Here's the problem Derrel. No matter how much money you've spent on what doesn't change the fact that Canon's video options are better than Nikons. I don't care if you shoot Pentax, Sony Olympus, or whatever. Show my why a director would pick a Nikon DSLR over a Canon DSLR for video? Especially professional video?

Please do that so you can justify that you know more than everyone else and that it's OK for you to insult forum members whenever you feel like it.

I have noticed he has somehow managed to ignore the comments about the 5D being used by directors being a Canon Marketing ploy, we can't know for sure that it is. But it certainly seems rather strange to me that Canon are getting so much marketing blurb off the back of these ventures, it seems it's got to the point that because directors use Canon, all the other manufacturers produce RUBBISH video because directors are only using Canon! Very clever on Canons part!

Instead of actually engaging me in discussion, he has personally accused me of being a jealous little kid because Nikon are not as good in his eyes!

I have just noticed something rather interesting though, Village idiot owns a Canon 5d Mark II! Soooo now we know who filmed the episode of House! It was Village Idiot, how do you find time out from filiming 'House' to comment on these forums?? haha.

Reading. FTW

You'll also see that after that, I was mentioning about the formats that Canon shoots in compared to Nikon. Do you really want me to go and retype all the formats available with Canon cameras, not to mention brining up the Magic Lantern firmware that makes Canon camera superior to Nikon for video work? Up until the D7000 and the D5100 Nikon couldn't even do 1080p, the best they could record at was 24fps @ 720p, which I already mentioned in this thread.

Now, do me a favor and let's have this experiment that will prove two things, why directors would use Canon of Nikon and whether or not you're an idiot. If you were going to make or build anything and you had the option of using two tools, would you use the one that allowed you to finish the project (sandwich, car, skyscaper, cake, etc...) with a higher quality and the correct format or would you use the one that gave the finished project a lower quality and only allowed one format?

Canon cameras can shoot at 24fps, 25 fps, and 30fps @ 1080p and some can shoot at 60fps at 720p. Go research Nikon DSLRs and tell me how they're better for recording professional video.

And if you remember (if you even read), I posted about other uses for the 5D MKII than House (which is more than one episode). I think I even posted a the name of the site 5dcinema.com, which if you check out you'll see the music videos, ad work, and indie productions that I mentioned people were using the 5D MKII.

I'm sorry that you two feel like I'm a "shill" for posting up an article that mentioned the 5D MKII being used in a block buster, but if Nikon could do video as well or better than Canon, then maybe you'd see more headlines about Nikon being used be professionals in big name production. Oh wait, has Nikon ever been used to film anything other than soccer games and home movies?

Pisses me off no end, that the picture Gizmodo have used is actually of a sound blimp and not a filming rig at all!

Why's that? A traditional rig would have probably been too big to fit where it is and they could have been using it to isolated the camera from something or something from the sound of the camera (opening and closing the shutter for live view). That photo is from Iron Man 2. The cockpit of the car has Stark written behind the driver's head.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back