Canon 5D MKII used in filming Captain 'Murica.

Is there a payed Canon shill on this forum??? Sure seems like it...Never heard of a Canon shill? You know, one of those people who gets payed under the table to go around and pretend to be a regular guy, but who really is one of many satellite employees of Canon's marketing department....you know, part of their big guerilla astroturf marketing force...

Remember--I am the guy who spent around $10,000 of his OWN, CASH MONEY on Canon equipment, to go along with my 30+ years' worth of Nikon gear...I'm the guy who shoots BOTH Canon, AND Nikon gear...I am the guy whose avatar picture is me, holding my 5D + grip and normal lens...I'm the guy who can tell you the differences between Canon gear and Nikon gear from my own, personal, experience with BOTH brands....not some pro-Canon fanboy who has a hard-on for anybody who shoots something else...

Canon's marketing department will stop at almost NOTHING...

http://blog.kareldonk.com/the-digital-picturecom-deletes-anti-canon-post-about-the-eos-5d-mark-ii/

M
y favorite though, might be the fact that the blog Canon Filmmakers.com was forced to cease and desist this immediately past June!!! A web blog dedicated to making films with Canon d-slr's was...forced to shut down...by Canon!!!!

CanonFilmmakers.com Forced to Close by... Canon! -- photographyvoice.com

Here's the problem Derrel. No matter how much money you've spent on what doesn't change the fact that Canon's video options are better than Nikons. I don't care if you shoot Pentax, Sony Olympus, or whatever. Show my why a director would pick a Nikon DSLR over a Canon DSLR for video? Especially professional video?

Please do that so you can justify that you know more than everyone else and that it's OK for you to insult forum members whenever you feel like it.

I have noticed he has somehow managed to ignore the comments about the 5D being used by directors being a Canon Marketing ploy, we can't know for sure that it is. But it certainly seems rather strange to me that Canon are getting so much marketing blurb off the back of these ventures, it seems it's got to the point that because directors use Canon, all the other manufacturers produce RUBBISH video because directors are only using Canon! Very clever on Canons part!

Instead of actually engaging me in discussion, he has personally accused me of being a jealous little kid because Nikon are not as good in his eyes!

I have just noticed something rather interesting though, Village idiot owns a Canon 5d Mark II! Soooo now we know who filmed the episode of House! It was Village Idiot, how do you find time out from filiming 'House' to comment on these forums?? haha.

Reading. FTW

OH WOW I'm so impressed! Canon have paid for them to use the 5D MARK II, now all Canon users will have to go round telling everyone the 5D was used for video in Captain Murica and it was also used to film 'House'?? God If I have another Canon user telling me 'Did you know the 5D mark II was used to film House??' I will reach for a gun!

This isn't sarcastic honest!! :lol: Did you know they used the 5D Mark II to film 'House'???? I hope you did know that!!

Canon didn't have to pay them anything. Nikon is just catching up in the HDSLR market and until the D7000(iir, may have been the lower end model before that) didn't have a camera that would even do 1080p. They're also limited in the filming formats. Canon has been ontop of the HDSLR game since the release of their first camera with video, the 5D MKII.
You'll also see that after that, I was mentioning about the formats that Canon shoots in compared to Nikon. Do you really want me to go and retype all the formats available with Canon cameras, not to mention brining up the Magic Lantern firmware that makes Canon camera superior to Nikon for video work? Up until the D7000 and the D5100 Nikon couldn't even do 1080p, the best they could record at was 24fps @ 720p, which I already mentioned in this thread.

Now, do me a favor and let's have this experiment that will prove two things, why directors would use Canon of Nikon and whether or not you're an idiot. If you were going to make or build anything and you had the option of using two tools, would you use the one that allowed you to finish the project (sandwich, car, skyscaper, cake, etc...) with a higher quality and the correct format or would you use the one that gave the finished project a lower quality and only allowed one format?

Canon cameras can shoot at 24fps, 25 fps, and 30fps @ 1080p and some can shoot at 60fps at 720p. Go research Nikon DSLRs and tell me how they're better for recording professional video.

And if you remember (if you even read), I posted about other uses for the 5D MKII than House (which is more than one episode). I think I even posted a the name of the site 5dcinema.com, which if you check out you'll see the music videos, ad work, and indie productions that I mentioned people were using the 5D MKII.

I'm sorry that you two feel like I'm a "shill" for posting up an article that mentioned the 5D MKII being used in a block buster, but if Nikon could do video as well or better than Canon, then maybe you'd see more headlines about Nikon being used be professionals in big name production. Oh wait, has Nikon ever been used to film anything other than soccer games and home movies?

You miss the point again, my point was not about Nikon being better than Canon or Canon being better than Nikon. You turned it into that discussion, that was the only point I was making.

I accept that Canon are better than Nikon at video, I was slightly frustrated at Nikon myself for not catching up quicker. But it got turned into you saying Canon are better than Nikon and I'm jealous.

I accept that the 5D MK2 is great for use as a video camera, but again you seem to be point scoring about why Canon are better than Nikon.

And oh yeah, I say it again and I said it before! The Panasonic GH2 is BETTER at video than the 5D Mk2, but it can't be as good because directors haven't said anything about them.

It would appear to be raining outside, but it can't be because Village idiot and film directors say it isn't!

You miss the point again, my point was not about Nikon being better than Canon or Canon being better than Nikon. You turned it into that discussion, that was the only point I was making.

Yessss, because your first two snide post had nothing to do with this at all.

I accept that Canon are better than Nikon at video, I was slightly frustrated at Nikon myself for not catching up quicker. But it got turned into you saying Canon are better than Nikon and I'm jealous.

Apparently very frustrated. I'm referencing at least your first two post again.

I accept that the 5D MK2 is great for use as a video camera, but again you seem to be point scoring about why Canon are better than Nikon.

Just posting up an article about it being used in another major motion picture production. Apparently some people can't handle that.

And oh yeah, I say it again and I said it before! The Panasonic GH2 is BETTER at video than the 5D Mk2, but it can't be as good because directors haven't said anything about them.

And it still only offers 24fps @ 1080p (which wouldn't be a problem for movies) but only has a 4/3 sensor. Maybe that, lenses, support, etc? They certainly have a reason. Could it be that they're using it because they like the results they've seen from other film makers?

It would appear to be raining outside, but it can't be because Village idiot and film directors say it isn't!

I don't know about the film directors, but it's definitely bright and hot outside.

Pisses me off no end, that the picture Gizmodo have used is actually of a sound blimp and not a filming rig at all!

Why's that? A traditional rig would have probably been too big to fit where it is and they could have been using it to isolated the camera from something or something from the sound of the camera (opening and closing the shutter for live view). That photo is from Iron Man 2. The cockpit of the car has Stark written behind the driver's head.

Well to start with, how do they have access to the follow focus? If you really are worried about the live view shutter then your mad as you don't start to record sound until after you start filming. The won't be recording sound from the 5D MKii anyway they will have a seperate setup for that.

From what I have read the Micro 4/3 sensor is similar to the size of sensors being used in Hollywood video cameras. As Derrel said, it must be good getting paid by the Canon Marketing department. No wonder it's sunny where you are, a good salary your earning! :thumbup:

Well, if one is going to be a marketing shill for Canon, and cut and paste, then why not just copy and paste the entire Canon Press Release from August 1??? Come ON, learn how to astroturf!!! Notice how V-I is emphasizing the same,exact features Canon does in the press release??? Interesting coincidence, or guerilla marketing?

Here is the official Canon press release:
Press Release

"Captain America: The First Avenger" Action Shots Captured With Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Cameras
Full 1080P HD Capture, 24p Frame Rate and Canon EF Lenses Provide Compatibility and Creative Options for Movie Production

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., August 1, 2011 – Canon U.S.A., a leader in digital imaging, announced today that the highly anticipated feature film, "Captain America: The First Avenger", used Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR cameras to capture many of the movie's action shots. Throughout the super hero action picture, the 5D Mark II was used to shoot motion sequences that were seamlessly integrated with the production's 35mm film footage.

More compact and lightweight than traditional motion-picture cameras, the 5D Mark II offers creative advantages such as compatibility with Canon's wide range of high-performance EF lenses, user-selectable frame rates, including 24p (23.976 fps), the standard for motion-picture cinematography, and full 1920 x 1080 HD imagery captured by the camera's high-resolution 21.1-megapixel (36mm by 24mm) Canon CMOS sensor. According to Jonathan Taylor, second unit director/director of photography on "Captain America: The First Avenger", these features made the 5D Mark II an excellent choice for the capture of dramatic POV (point-of-view) action shots.
"The challenge with a lot of action photography is getting the camera in the right position," Taylor noted. "I'm always looking to get the camera into impossible to reach places because those kinds of shots make action sequences much more exciting. Most 35mm motion-picture cameras and even the leading digital cinematography cameras are just too big to get into interesting positions."
Action scenes in "Captain America: The First Avenger" in which Taylor used 5D Mark II cameras for POV shots include a car chase and crash, and a high-speed motorcycle pursuit. The small size of the camera enabled Taylor to mount it on the interiors and exteriors of moving vehicles to capture dramatic action shots. The camera's size also ensured that it was "invisible" to the film cameras shooting the same scene from a distance.
"The thing with action is that the more angles you can shoot, the faster the cuts you can use, and the more energy you get into a sequence," Taylor added.
Previously, the Canon EOS 5D Mark II cameras and EF lenses were used for action shots in the blockbuster hit "Iron Man 2".
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. Its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), a top patent holder of technology, ranked fourth overall in the U.S. in 2010†, with global revenues of more than US $45 billion and is listed as number five in the computer industry on Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies 2011 list. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. At Canon, we care because caring is essential to living together in harmony. Founded upon a corporate philosophy of Kyosei – "all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future" – Canon U.S.A. supports a number of social, youth, educational and other programs, including environmental and recycling initiatives. Additional information about these programs can be found at www.usa.canon.com/kyosei. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss.
###​

† Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.

Pisses me off no end, that the picture Gizmodo have used is actually of a sound blimp and not a filming rig at all!

Why's that? A traditional rig would have probably been too big to fit where it is and they could have been using it to isolated the camera from something or something from the sound of the camera (opening and closing the shutter for live view). That photo is from Iron Man 2. The cockpit of the car has Stark written behind the driver's head.

Well to start with, how do they have access to the follow focus? If you really are worried about the live view shutter then your mad as you don't start to record sound until after you start filming. The won't be recording sound from the 5D MKii anyway they will have a seperate setup for that.

They're shooting on a green screen there. They're probably not doing a lot that requires any focusing past the intial setting for the scene is my guess.

From what I have read the Micro 4/3 sensor is similar to the size of sensors being used in Hollywood video cameras. As Derrel said, it must be good getting paid by the Canon Marketing department. No wonder it's sunny where you are, a good salary your earning! :thumbup:

That's the point! Why would they use a camera with a larger sensor? For the DOF and the high ISO ability. If they were going to use a micro 4/3 sensor, then why not just use a regular video camera?

If you can't put together the simple fact that Canon DSLRs are better at video than Nikon and people don't go around using the worse of two choices for something that they require quality in, then there's no point in my continuing this conversation with you. You're an obvious die-hard Nikon user that just can't get something so simple through their skull.

Well, if one is going to be a marketing shill for Canon, and cut and paste, then why not just copy and paste the entire Canon Press Release from August 1??? Come ON, learn how to astroturf!!! Notice how V-I is emphasizing the same,exact features Canon does in the press release??? Interesting coincidence, or guerilla marketing?

Here is the official Canon press release:
Press Release

"Captain America: The First Avenger" Action Shots Captured With Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Cameras
Full 1080P HD Capture, 24p Frame Rate and Canon EF Lenses Provide Compatibility and Creative Options for Movie Production

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., August 1, 2011 – Canon U.S.A., a leader in digital imaging, announced today that the highly anticipated feature film, "Captain America: The First Avenger", used Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR cameras to capture many of the movie's action shots. Throughout the super hero action picture, the 5D Mark II was used to shoot motion sequences that were seamlessly integrated with the production's 35mm film footage.

More compact and lightweight than traditional motion-picture cameras, the 5D Mark II offers creative advantages such as compatibility with Canon's wide range of high-performance EF lenses, user-selectable frame rates, including 24p (23.976 fps), the standard for motion-picture cinematography, and full 1920 x 1080 HD imagery captured by the camera's high-resolution 21.1-megapixel (36mm by 24mm) Canon CMOS sensor. According to Jonathan Taylor, second unit director/director of photography on "Captain America: The First Avenger", these features made the 5D Mark II an excellent choice for the capture of dramatic POV (point-of-view) action shots.
"The challenge with a lot of action photography is getting the camera in the right position," Taylor noted. "I'm always looking to get the camera into impossible to reach places because those kinds of shots make action sequences much more exciting. Most 35mm motion-picture cameras and even the leading digital cinematography cameras are just too big to get into interesting positions."
Action scenes in "Captain America: The First Avenger" in which Taylor used 5D Mark II cameras for POV shots include a car chase and crash, and a high-speed motorcycle pursuit. The small size of the camera enabled Taylor to mount it on the interiors and exteriors of moving vehicles to capture dramatic action shots. The camera's size also ensured that it was "invisible" to the film cameras shooting the same scene from a distance.
"The thing with action is that the more angles you can shoot, the faster the cuts you can use, and the more energy you get into a sequence," Taylor added.
Previously, the Canon EOS 5D Mark II cameras and EF lenses were used for action shots in the blockbuster hit "Iron Man 2".
About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. Its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), a top patent holder of technology, ranked fourth overall in the U.S. in 2010†, with global revenues of more than US $45 billion and is listed as number five in the computer industry on Fortune Magazine's World’s Most Admired Companies 2011 list. Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. At Canon, we care because caring is essential to living together in harmony. Founded upon a corporate philosophy of Kyosei – "all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future" – Canon U.S.A. supports a number of social, youth, educational and other programs, including environmental and recycling initiatives. Additional information about these programs can be found at www.usa.canon.com/kyosei. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss.
###​

† Based on weekly patent counts issued by United States Patent and Trademark Office.
All referenced product names, and other marks, are trademarks of their respective owners.

It's common sense that a person would want to use a device that gives them more options and better quality. You know, common sense?

But hey, seriously Derrel, it's ok that you feel the need to come into any thread that's not a love-in hippy fest for Nikon and bash everything and everyone in your path. I think most of the folks on this forum are pretty use to you doing that by now. Eventually we may get lucky and you'll go away or something else will happen.

Village, are you on Vimeo? Would love to see your work, if I see you actually use the 5D Mark II for actual video recording processes, I will give in and accept you know alot more than I do about the matter and will shut my gob!

Village, are you on Vimeo? Would love to see your work, if I see you actually use the 5D Mark II for actual video recording processes, I will give in and accept you know alot more than I do about the matter and will shut my gob!

Derrel doesn't have any photos on Flickr and you'll rarely ever see his work here. He must know nothing about photography.

ahhh... I remember a time when folks used their cameras for taking something called 'pictures', whatever they were (they'll never catch on, it's all about video for us movingpictureographers anyway...)

sarcasm? me? no, surely not... :er:

It was used in filming House, and Iron Man 2. Why is this so far fetched? It's probably used in filming other productions as well, but it's not an actor so it normally doesn't get credited.

It has also been used in Saturday Night Live.

YES, the 2009 Saturday Night Live opening sequences, and the commercial parody "Bladdivan" were shot with a Canon d-slr. The 5D's sensor is so big that it gives exceptionally shallow depth of field, especially when used at night, as was the case in the SNL opening credits, which are shot on New York CIty streets, outdoors, at night. The DOF is so shallow that even in the 3- and 4-second clips of the actors, you can see them slipping out of focus as they turn their heads or move. Same thing with the Lissie video cover of Lad Gaga's Bad Romance...great song, great performance, but the DOF is so,so shallow it's impossible for the cameraman to keep his focus, so the video is full of very short cuts. ‪Lady Gaga - Bad Romance - live cover - Lissie‬‏ - YouTube

If you go to YouTube and download the raw video in the .FLV format, the video will open up as a pretty good-sized video of 1280 pixels wide. You can see how tricky the shallow DOF is in the 50-second range as she just stands at the microphone and sings. Same thing around the 2:10 mark...the DOF on a close-up of a person is extremely shallow in "real world" type shooting. The whole video is a pretty good demonstration of what FF d-slr video looks like.

A really cool comparison of the Canon 5D, the Canon 7D, and the Nikon D3s and a Panasonic small-format digital, shot side-by-side against motion picture film cameras is located at the link below, at the Zacuto web site. Zacuto won an Emmy in November of 2010 for outstanding achievement in a program series, for their work in bringing together Hollywood directors, cinematographers, and directors of photography to compared d-slr video against motion picture film. Resolution, green screen ability, exposure latitude, and some other characteristics were compared. Film did not far so well...and neither did the Canon's when ISO sensitivities went high...that's where Canon bombed out of the competition...

The Great Camera Shootout 2010 - Film Vs DSLR Comparison

T
his is around 90 minutes worth of comparison in three separate videos, and it's really quite interesting to watch it and see how d-slr video performs differently than film does.

Derrel lol....

I did watch those videos, and I wanted to thank you because they really kicked ass. Thats got to be the best example I have ever seen of film vs digital for making "films". It was cool too that they used real film makers, and made it that much better since it wasnt only the pure technical aspects they discussed.

I am a very big film fan and have a huge collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays by the way.

You do make a good point that the D3s won in the high iso contest by a landslide. Lets be honest though, this was to be expected and would not be a surprise to anyone who has even average knowledge of DSLRs. I will admit though that the test with the lighter was simply amazing for the D3s, and it truly is the low light champion.

For you to say "that's where Canon bombed out of the competition" is pretty absured in my opinion though. There was still the resolution test as well as the green screen test left at that point, so the competition was far from over.

And speaking of those two tests lol, the D3s performed the worst of the bunch on both of them.

The guy trying to get a "key" on the D3s images said that it was very difficult, and used it as the example of how digital is inferior to film in that area.

On the resolution test the D3s was clearly the worst of the bunch, and again there should be no surprise because of the numbers invloved.

Don't even try and say that resolution doesnt matter for film making either, because it was one of their tests, so clearly they think it matters. Also film guys like me know the difference between film scanned at 2k and 4k, and the video quality of a Blu-Ray is directly related to this.

I havent even mentioned yet that the D3s can't even do video at 1080p lol. This is kind of a big deal when making a film, as it is the standard resolution and having to up-convert would 100% for sure result in a reduction in image quality.

It may sound like I am knocking Nikon and the D3s here, but I assure you I am not. I would love so much to have that camera for its low light prowess, and if I was to win the lottery tomorrow it is one of the first things I would buy along with some kick ass Nikon glass.

What I am doing is pointing out how you are biased on this subjuct for some reason.

Multiple times the 5D mk II was praised by many different people during those tests, and it clearly is a great DSLR for recording video. I realize that it along with the D3s have their strengths and weaknesses vs each other. They are not better or worse overall vs each other, they are just different and excel at different things and aspects of film making. Thats why those guy kept saying "as long as you know your limitations" because they understand this as I do.

There is a reason why film makers are using the 5D II, and please don't try and bash it based on just your opinion with no real facts to back it up. That link you posted was great, and I really do appreciate it and learned a lot from it. For some reason though you decided that high iso performance was everything , and that the other tests were pointless. Clearly the makers of the video would not agree that only iso performance matters, or they would have only done that test.

Neil

And digital has kick ass grain at high ISO. I've been watching a British show called Mistfits on Hulu and the last episode had a really dark scene that was obviously shot with digital and the grain just looks beautiful. 28 days later was filmed in a similar fashion.

And digital has kick ass grain at high ISO. I've been watching a British show called Mistfits on Hulu and the last episode had a really dark scene that was obviously shot with digital and the grain just looks beautiful. 28 days later was filmed in a similar fashion.

This is why so many film fans get upset when they release a Blu-Ray with heavy DNR used. It softens the image as well as removing the grain which ends up making it look artificial and just bad lol.

Most reactions

Back