Canon 60D is Officially Here

A new 300mm f2.8 IS L is also very exciting - lighter, better and it and the new 400mm f2.8 have focusing motors that allow for the external video focusing setups to be attached. A sure sign that DSLR for video is here to very much stay and become a part of the future of DSLRs

The 400mm will be much lighter (28%!) than the previous one. The 300 isn't that much lighter... only about 8 percent.

Does anyone know how much lighter the new 500 and 600 will be?

I personally wouldn't trade a alloy body for a plastic body if I could avoid it. I don't like the way the plastic bodies feel, either Canon or Nikon. If you've never had a alloy bodied camera and the 60D was your first body, it probably doesn't make a difference. But if you're coming from a 50D it might make a difference.
I agree. I like the 'idea' of the metal body...but my hands are on the rubber grip, so metal or plastic doesn't really matter to me. I would actually like the slight weight savings, as I'm usually using a big heavy lens and maybe a grip and maybe a flash and maybe a flash bracket etc.

I think that the size & ergonomics is a much, much, much bigger factor than what the body is made of. And besides, it doesn't take much 'polymer resin' to equal the strength of thin metal.

I agree that the plastic body probably costs less to manufacture, but that's apparently not a benefit to the consumer. The MSRP for the 60D is $1,099 which happens to be the exact same MSRP for the 50D.
Wasn't the original MSRP of the 50D more like $1300?

I love that the 60D has E-TTL master, like the 7D...but the lack of a sync port really sucks.

Canon's profits have been going up on lower sales volume for the past two years, according to one source I've read. He says that cutting manufacturing costs has been one of the ways they have achieved the higher profit margins, so making the body out of a plastic material instead of a metal would be a good way to keep the MSRP of the 60D within a reasonable reach of that of the 50D, give consumers a lighter body that's cheaper to make, and boost profits. Some of the modern, industrial plastics are incredibly tough and durable,and have better heat/cold dimensional stability than metals, which tend to expand and contract a bit as temperatures fluctuate.

I agree. I like the 'idea' of the metal body...but my hands are on the rubber grip, so metal or plastic doesn't really matter to me. I would actually like the slight weight savings, as I'm usually using a big heavy lens and maybe a grip and maybe a flash and maybe a flash bracket etc.
Oh, I do believe it's more about perception than function. But as humans we base a lot of our preferences on perception. When I'm shooting in studio, I like the heft of my 1D. I prefer it actually. With weight comes stability, at least for me.

At weddings, it would be nice to have a couple of Rebels around my neck vs. the 1D and 5D. :) But then I am attached to the "feel" of these two bodies... which is probably why Canon hasn't changed their basic "feel" for many years. People like it, want it, expect it, prefer it.

Again, for a first time camera buyer this is a non-issue. But given the 60D's position in the market place and the fact a good number of 50D owners would have been looking to upgrade... I suspect most of those 50D owners waiting for the 60D will now make the jump to the 7D. That's just a guess of course, but I'm pretty certain I'm right. :)

I think that the size & ergonomics is a much, much, much bigger factor than what the body is made of. And besides, it doesn't take much 'polymer resin' to equal the strength of thin metal.
To a new buyer, I agree. To an existing owner of a 50D... eh, I'm not so sure. Time will tell.

As for the strength of plastics, I have no doubt a properly made plastic housing is just as durable for daily use as an alloy one. Again, it boils down to perception for many buyers. I've read more than a few comments from people giving purchasing advice to new camera buyers and most of them say "get the D300 if you can afford it because the D90 is plastic". It's almost always viewed as a detractor and rarely viewed as a bonus, except by the more experienced shooters who do prefer the weight savings.

Wasn't the original MSRP of the 50D more like $1300?
It was $1,399.

I love that the 60D has E-TTL master, like the 7D...but the lack of a sync port really sucks.
I totally agree on both points.

We agree on pretty much all those points...except that I don't think that 'most' 50D users were looking to upgrade to the next model => 60D. Well, maybe they were, but it's has almost always been the case that the 'next' model is a poor choice for an upgrade.

But given the 60D's position in the market place and the fact a good number of 50D owners would have been looking to upgrade... I suspect most of those 50D owners waiting for the 60D will now make the jump to the 7D. That's just a guess of course, but I'm pretty certain I'm right.
And if you're right, Canon did it right...from their perspective. :er:

Canon still seems to be taking this as a pro camera. I just got email reply back saying that it was likely to be eligible for the CPS program. A plastic pro camera should be interesting. I added a copy of the reply for anyone who might be interested.

Dear:

Thank you for your inquiry regarding the EOS 60D. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Unfortunately, since the EOS 60D was just announced, many details are currently unknown. However, it is likely that it will be eligible for CPS as the EOS 50D was.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with the EOS 60D.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Michael
Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email. If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email, you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).

If you prefer to continue to communicate via email, reply to this message and we will respond as quickly as possible.

Original Message Follows:
-------------------------

There is an inquiry request for : Professional Cameras , EOS Digital SLR Cameras, EOS 60D

Contact Info provided is
Name :

Email Address :
Phone :

User Question : After dropping one of my 50D was thinking of getting another one but with the 60D coming out I thought I would check before I placed my order.Does it qualify for the CPS program?
If so does it offer anything over the 50D? From the specs on the website it looks to be a Rebel series without the name.

I'll still wait to see what the reviews say and I can try it out but not to excited. Who knows though it might have super high level ISO images. I doubt it, but one can hope and the 1080 HD video would be nice. I hope DPreview is fast on this one.

I feel that the 60D is being flamed for no reason. Canon was getting out done so to speak by Nikon. The D90 was priced lower but spec'd similar to the D300 and the 50D was the D300 competitor, but had a slightly better spec sheet. Unless you were invested in Canon glass it was a hard choice for some. Being a few hundred difference between the two. Then you had the 50D and the D90, but the D90 was very closely spec'd to the D300 in many respects.

People wanted a upgrade to the xxD line and got it through the 7D. Now Canon is going after the Dxx series by placing the specs and price of the 60D squarely between the T2i and the 7D. Its not a downgrade but a completely new direction in a long established and highly regarded line. Canon is hoping that the reputation and specs of this line will lure people up from their XS, XT, XTi, XSi, and T1i to the new xxD line, and maybe even from the P&S/Superzoom sector.

You can't fairly compare the 60D and 50D except on price. IMHO

Now the ball is in Nikon's court...

You know, I was excited to see if the 60D would be that much better than my 50D and I'd consider moving up. Now that I look at it I'm glad I have my 50D. I have no intention of shooting video, and the 15MP I have already are more than enough. 60D shoots slower and the sensor is the same size, packed with more MP so I don't know how that will affect quality.

Just thought I'd chime in on the discussion. It's good I think this way though as Canon's defining a line between their PRO cameras and then entrylevel/advanced entry level camera. The 60D narrows a slight gap between the 7D and the 50D but what reason now does one have to get the 7D? Faster and that's it?

The 60D narrows a slight gap between the 7D and the 50D but what reason now does one have to get the 7D? Faster and that's it?
You have to remember that the 50D will be gone soon. So the 60D will fit perfectly between the T2i and the 7D.

From Dpreview...http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos60d/
The 60D's position in the range is immediately apparent when lined-up between the EOS 550D (Rebel T2i) and the 7D - it's a model that sits half-way between the two, without coming too close to either.

As for why anyone would get the 7D over the 60D, there are some good reasons.
Shooting Speed being one, but the 7D has a better AF system as well and a better viewfinder.

I agree. I'm currently in the market for a camera. So a 60D would work for me as would a 50D. Not sure which one I would go for yet. I HAD a 40D until I had a "Life happens moment"

Canon has finally made itself a Nikon D90 competitor, by emphasizing price point, light weight body, and affordable price that's lower than their semi-pro/serious enthusiast camera, the 7D. Now that Canon has the 7D to compete with the Nikon D300s with a mix of features that will really appeal to the semi-pro/serious enthusiast crowd, it makes sense to move the XXD "down-market" and toward the Nikon D90 and Pentax K-x type buyers, who are very large in number.

30D,40D,50D buyers are, I think, mostly looking to head toward the 7D as their upgrade...the 60D still has the same diamond-shaped, 9-point AF system as the earlier XXD bodies, but now all 9 points are cross type. The inclusion of all those canned scene modes on the 60D's top left dial shows that it is aimed more at the beginner/intermediate buyer than the 40D and 50D models were.

Canon seems to be clearly indicating that the 'serious' crop-body model is the 7D, and the 60D is the high-end beginner/intermediate shooter's camera.

I agree. I'm currently in the market for a camera. So a 60D would work for me as would a 50D. Not sure which one I would go for yet. I HAD a 40D until I had a "Life happens moment"

Sorry to hear! Between the two, I'd go 50D and a nice lens to boot. You'll get nice prices on it. Now that is if you don't want video. If you want video than 60D of course.

With an SLR though, I've always felt video to be a gimmick feature.

Sorry to hear! Between the two, I'd go 50D and a nice lens to boot. You'll get nice prices on it. Now that is if you don't want video. If you want video than 60D of course.

I agree on the 50D I love the size and weight, but I wanted to wait and see what is announced.

I felt the same way until the Nikon D3100 was released. It can actually do something the current crop of Canon's can't - autofocus in video mode.

Most reactions

Back