Canon 60d vs Canon T2i

strelok31

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am beginner photographer looking to buy my first DSLR. I talked to my friend who is into photography to ask him for advice which camera to get. He recommends for me to get Canon 60D over T2i because of the following features. Number 3 being the big one.

1) Articulating 3" LCD screen - great for shooting video or from an unusual perspective
2) 5.3 frame per second continuous shooting (vs 3.7 in the T2i) - excellent for action and sports like kids soccer or gymnastics
3) Added cross-type auto-focus points (9 in the 60D vs 1 in the T2i) - this gives the photographer much more control of the area of focus (big one)
4) Better viewfinder

Will I use these features as a beginner photographer? Seems like I would use #3. My friend says there is not much room to grow with T2i and 60D is a better choice. On the other hands I talked to couple coworkers and they think that 60D is overkill for me and I can spend the money on the extra lenses instead. My coworker heard of a story of photographer in Afghanistan for National Geographic who used 60D. I am not planning to do photography for National Geographic. What do you guys recommend?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the 60D. Actually, any XXd body over any Rebel body. The Rebels lack the dedicated controls necessary to comfortably shoot in manual mode. They also have poorer viewfinder optics. In general, the XXd's are a huge ergonomic improvement, in addition to better autofocus and faster response. Image quality ultimately comes down to the lenses, but the price difference between these two bodies doesn't seem significant enough to justify the Rebel.

I am beginner photographer looking to buy my first DSLR. I talked to my friend who is into photography to ask him for advice which camera to get. He recommends for me to get Canon 60D over T2i because of the following features. Number 3 being the big one.

1) Articulating 3" LCD screen - great for shooting video or from an unusual perspective
2) 5.3 frame per second continuous shooting (vs 3.7 in the T2i) - excellent for action and sports like kids soccer or gymnastics
3) Added cross-type auto-focus points (9 in the 60D vs 1 in the T2i) - this gives the photographer much more control of the area of focus (big one)
4) Better viewfinder

Will I use these features as a beginner photographer? Seems like I would use #3. My friend says there is not much room to grow with T2i and 60D is a better choice. On the other hands I talked to couple coworkers and they think that 60D is overkill for me and I can spend the money on the extra lenses instead. My coworker heard of a story of photographer in Afghanistan for National Geographic who used 60D. I am not planning to do photography for National Geographic. What do you guys recommend?

Thank you.

I had a 60D for some time and didn't feel like it was a worthy upgrade over a Rebel. Honestly, the 50D feels like a more sold camera than the 60D, but the 7D just crushes it hard. I say to keep saving.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I'd say hold them both. The T2i is much smaller, and to me felt cheaper. The 60D is a lot more beefy, especially gripped. I don't mind the heaviness, cause I loved the way it felt in my hands. Try em out!

The 60D is quite an improvement over the T2i. The top window for quickly viewing and changing ISO, metering, auto focus and shooting style. Separate wheels for changing Shutter and Aperture, all mean less digging into the menu for routine adjustments.

The price difference between the 60D and the T2i is not all that much and you will have better resale value when time comes to upgrade. The 7D although a better camera cost a pile more and maybe more than needed for your first DSLR, only you can decide that.

The articulating screen is nice, but not a necessity. I have found it very handy several times, but most of the time it does stay stationary flipped out from the body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back