Canon 60D

fudi50

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I err on the aged side of life as such not quick to learn so I have a question regarding the Canon 60 which I just purchased and taking video
Firstly let me say I opted for the SLR because of the view finder but it would seem in video mode this is not operative ? is there a way of taping looking through the viewfinder ? or am I forced to purchase a camcorder ?
Is there a way to use the LED screen in bright sunlight and be able to see whata you are taping ?

Big Mike

I am Big, I am Mike
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.mikehodson.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Welcome to the forum.

The way that an SLR camera works, there is a mirror in front of the film/sensor. This mirror directs the image from the lens, up into the viewfinder array, where it bounces around and is then viewable in the viewfinder. But when it takes a photo (or shoots video) that first mirror must flip up and out of the way, so that the light/image can go directly back to the sensor. That is why the viewfinder goes dark when you snap a photo or record video.

Many video cameras and non-SLR type digital cameras have an electronic viewfinder. It's basically a tiny screen that you see when looking into their 'view finder'.

So what can you do? Well, you could get a viewfinder accessory for your LCD screen.
Viewfinder Adapters | B&H Photo Video
There are options from $25, up to several hundred dollars.

If it's just a matter of shooting in bright light, you could even use an LCD hood. Again, you'll find many options from cheap to very expensive.

Check out this site/company...they make all sorts of hoods and viewfinder accessories. Hoodman Corporation

Most reactions

New Topics