CANON 6D

rjacobucci

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all I am new to this forum. I am purchasing a Canon 6D in order to take my photography further than just a hobby. I enjoy landscape and architecture and dabble a little in portrait and family photos for friends and family. I am looking to start slow and buy a lens or two to get my feet wet. I am buying the 6D knowing that it may be beyond my experience at this point but hoping it will be a good investment to upgrade lenses as I grow in photography.
I am hoping I can get some feedback on lenses that wont break the bank to get started here.

Welcome to TPF. A good friend had a 6d until recently. It is a camera that on paper doesn't look like it has great specs, but in reality works very well. He done all sorts of photography with it, getting some very great shots along the way.

I recommend getting it in kit firm with a 24-105mm f4L . Normally this doesn't add a massive amount to the cost, but gives a very flexible lens for lots of different types of photography

The kit I am currently looking at comes with a 24-105mm IS and a 70-300mm IS and a few other things. It is $2200 which seemed like a good price. But wasnt sure if the lenses that it came with were good.

The kit I am currently looking at comes with a 24-105mm IS and a 70-300mm IS and a few other things. It is $2200 which seemed like a good price. But wasnt sure if the lenses that it came with were good.

Again, welcome. The 24-105mm is a solid lens but is limited being f/4. I think the 70-300 is a variable aperture lens and is pretty average in my opinion.

If you are wanting to take your photography further than a hobby, you are going to eventually want something along the lines of these lenses. Something like a 12-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8, that would be a very solid set of lenses to start with. Of course there are a few prime lenses that you may or may not want to consider in that as well.

Good luck with the purchase and the journey.

So since I am wanting to kind of ease my way into this process are there lenses that are affordable to get started with? I am not opposed to buying pricier lenses along the way but dont want to go too crazy just getting started here until I am more comfortable.

I wouldn't be tempted to buy 'L' lenses as they are very expensive and offer a beginner nothing. Mid-range lenses will do you fine unless you get a commission from a leading glossy magazine.

I would look at second hand - lenses do not really wear out. Choose a reputable retailer who will grade the lens and offer a guarantee.

www.johns-old-cameras.blogspot.co.uk

I'd skip the 70-300 as mentioned, the 24-105 is not an amazing lens by any means but it IS good until you figure out what you need
and will be easy to sell later or you might want to use it for traveling when you pack only 1 lens.

I used to have a 6D and Image quality is excellent with very low high ISO noise. I sold to get something with a faster shooting speed and what I thought would be a much better focus system but in reality the 6D held its own on focusing accuracy even with less focus points. I think you will love it and if you do your part learning how to use it, you should be very happy with the end results. That said, I agree with John above,no reason to jump straight into expensive L-glass unless money not an issue. If you want top end glass used is a good option from a reputable retailer that will still have a return or exchange policy just In case. Good luck.

The 24-105L is only weak when you compare it to much more expensive lenses. As a stand alone zoom its as good as most would ever need it to be. It's an excellent kit lens within its price point.

I'm not sure about the 70-300

Hello all I am new to this forum. I am purchasing a Canon 6D in order to take my photography further than just a hobby. I enjoy landscape and architecture and dabble a little in portrait and family photos for friends and family. I am looking to start slow and buy a lens or two to get my feet wet. I am buying the 6D knowing that it may be beyond my experience at this point but hoping it will be a good investment to upgrade lenses as I grow in photography.
I am hoping I can get some feedback on lenses that wont break the bank to get started here.

As has been recommended before 6D + 24-105mm I shoot a 6Dm and a 7D using that lens many times. It also is Macro adding even more usefulness.. The 6D+24-105 is hands down the best bargain on the market today.

Btw you can save a few more busks by buying a refurbished body from CanonUSA. Same warranty as new. Then get the lens from one of the big dealers.

So the kit I am looking at has the 6D and includes a 24-105 and a 70-300 for $2200. I looked at the refurbished on canon and I can pick up a 6D for like $1300 alone. Is it better to get the kit or get just the body and buy a few lenses to get started separately?

So the kit I am looking at has the 6D and includes a 24-105 and a 70-300 for $2200. I looked at the refurbished on canon and I can pick up a 6D for like $1300 alone. Is it better to get the kit or get just the body and buy a few lenses to get started separately?

My opinion as stated above....go for the refurb w/same guarantee take the cash and buy the 24-105 You will have money left over, but don't spend it. Kearn to use the 6D & 24-105 first...it will take awhile because of the wide range that that combination covers. And I am not blowing hot air, I did the exact same thing when i bought the 6D for my wife, I have never once regretted that decision. It is a superb set. Since we shoot more wildlife and birds she now uses a 100-400mm IS USM L lens and I a BigSig, but whenever other situation arise it is battle to see who gets to the 24-105. One last thing that lens is so light and compact it is an ideal travel lens. BTW that 70-300 is a waste if you are going to try and shoot wildlife, quality just isn't up to snuff. For a starter wild life I recommend the 55-250mm.
I no longer recommend beginners start with Nikon! PERIOD. Why? Because of the recent 18% yes 18% price hike in the face of mounting competition!

That makes sense. So I am going to go to Hawaii in April and will be doing a lot of landscape type of photography and maybe some close up of flowers and stuff like that. Is the 24-105 going to be a good lens? I assume most things I am photographing will be either close up or far away. Anything I should pick up in addition to the 24-105? Or will that pretty much cover it?

That makes sense. So I am going to go to Hawaii in April and will be doing a lot of landscape type of photography and maybe some close up of flowers and stuff like that. Is the 24-105 going to be a good lens? I assume most things I am photographing will be either close up or far away. Anything I should pick up in addition to the 24-105? Or will that pretty much cover it?

to be honest that lens should cover 95% of all the shots you are likely to want to take. It is a MACRO as well so doing bug, and flower s is a snap. Get that set up...practice, practice, practice and you will come back from the Islands with some photos you will be very proud to print and hang! there are a few tips that help, but come back on here and ask...as you see there are quite a number of REALLY good photographers using the Canons. And the 6D has built up quite a fan club of users.

oh yeah, since, like all the top Canons it does not have a built in flash spend ~$100 bucks fro a Youngnuo 600EX or the 595(?) they are 100% compatible with the cameras ETTL system as well as full manual modes I have 2 Canon flashes and 2 Youngnuos, I rarely use the Canons anymore. And yes you will use a flash especially for fill light that sun over there is BRIGHT during mid=day and you will need to lighten the shadows for good shots. ALWAYS shoot RAW, in a pinch if you want to upload jpegs you can set it to take both RAW and jpg slows things a little, but not much.

Last edited:
One thing worth mentioning is that there's 2 versions of the 24-105, one is the F/3.5-5.6 STM and the other is L, F/4.
HUGE difference, and there's kits available with both.

Most reactions

Back