Canon 700D questions.

Okay, just in case you all were wondering.. It just magically started working just fine! I've been using it all day and no lcd issues. Maybe I did just so happen to press the "info" button and turned it off when I thought it was broken.

Thank you to everyone that responded! I truly appreciate all the help.

I asked this in a different forum, but no responses for a few days.. thought I'd ask it in here :D

I misplaced my remote for the T2i, I needed something quick, so I picked up a wireless remote from best buy (it's a rocket fish brand - the remote wireless shutter control) For my new T5i.

Now my question is.. because I remember it worked for my T2i, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it to work for the T5i... How do I use the remote to start/stop video? Everytime I press the button, it only takes a picture. Before, my T2i (the remote I previously had only had one button as well) it would start/stop video on video mode. My T5i takes only pictures when in Video Mode and I can't figure it out or find it in the manual. I was hoping someone on these forums could help me out?

You probably simply cannot control video remotely with that remote. The simple ones like that simply act as proxies for the shutter button. If you pushed the shutter button on the actual camera, it would take a still photo, not start/stop video, so thats what the remote does too.

I'm actually a bit confused why it would have worked on the T2i... I have a T2i and that does not work. It also takes still photos when generic remotes are attached in video mode. ??

You probably simply cannot control video remotely with that remote. The simple ones like that simply act as proxies for the shutter button. If you pushed the shutter button on the actual camera, it would take a still photo, not start/stop video, so thats what the remote does too.

I'm actually a bit confused why it would have worked on the T2i... I have a T2i and that does not work. It also takes still photos when generic remotes are attached in video mode. ??

i'm not sure how it worked either on the T2i, but it did..

so do you think there is no remote that'll work to start/stop video? I'll just have to press it manually and run back and forth to stop it? (I used to use the remote for my T2i to shoot my beauty videos) lol

p.s. my camera started to do that thing again the lcd turning on and off again.. I think I'm just going to exchange it for a new one?

I don't think so, no. The thing that plugs in for remotes only has 2 data lines, normally -- one representing half shutter press, one full. I don't think remotes can do anything else other than that. If you look at the really fancy ones, they still only do shutter presses. They just time them or do intervals or hold it for different amounts of time, etc, but it's all shutter presses.

If you had a camera with wifi then you could do it (only a couple newer models), the smartphones with the app connected can control everything, not just shutter. But probably not a plug in remote.

But I don't have a T5i. Look at your connection port: does it look like one you'd have for headphones? If so, it's just shutter info, and I think you're out of luck. Does it look like some sort of USB port or something fancier? If so, it's feasible that there might be a remote that can control other things like video.

Although still I can't say for sure. If you found a way to do it on your T2i, there might still be a way to tell it in settings to use shutter as start/stop. Check your manual, beyond that can't help you.

Thank you for the reply - truly do appreciate it.

I just want to update those that were wondering. I still am experiencing the LCD shutting off at times right after taking pictures.. it doesn't happen all the time.. sometimes.. and I'm not sure what I'm doing to make it happen.. So I think I'm just going to return the camera since no one seems to know why it's doing that or how to change/fix it.

I was however looking into returning it for the same camera (T5i).. or possibly trying out the Canon 60D or 70D .. which one would be better (I know they are all quite similar) for a newbie like myself.. (but using it as my main camera for doing my beauty/fitness videos and taking pictures of my beauty products etc.. and of course my children!) anyone know if the 60D or 70D also auto-focus like the T5i During video? (I remember my T2i did not auto focus during video so that was one of the main factors I sold it and got a new camera..as well as the flip out screen! :sexywink: )

Thanks everyone!

The 70D autofocus for video is the best (new technology). The focus tracking for stills is also better.

Hmmm. I guess if the 70D does the same thing, we'll know the problem is you.

Seriously, that's some strange behavior.

umm okay?...

Anyway...... I spoke to a rep from canon and showed them my video of what's happening with the camera and they said it definitely was abnormal behavior. I sent it in and they received it today. I'm hoping that it'll be returned to me in the next few days or by next week fixed and ready to rock & roll. I decided not to go with the 70 D although the amazing auto focus for video truly tempted me, I did remember I still wanted to get a new lens, so money will be going towards that! :)

Thank you everyone that responded kindly, it was very much appreciated!

Most reactions

Back