Canon 70D

kparker8812

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Very first post here!

I got my first dSLR in 2009. I got a Canon Rebel XSi. It was a great camera for the amateur that I was. I learned how to shoot RAW and in Manual and have a good understanding of what the functions do. However, now am at the point where I really want to try and make my photography a full time career. I cannot do this with a Rebel. I NEED to upgrade. I absolutely dream of shooting with the 5DM3, but I am not financially in a position to do so. I am wanting to get the new 70D now (well, it's for Christmas) and then rent lenses and slowly buy them as I make money. Once I have my glass, then I will save for the 5DM3. The 70D seems like a fantastic body for the amateur transitioning to professional, which is where I am at in my career. Now here is my question. All of the lenses that I want are made for full frame. Does that mean they will not work on the crop 70D? Or does that just mean I will not be able to get the most out of my lenses until I can upgrade to full frame? Here are the lenses I am wanting:

•50mm 1.2
•85mm 1.2
•35mm 1.4
•70-200mm 2.8

What are your thoughts? TIA!

All EF and EF-S lenses will work on the 70D but the EF-S lenses will NOT work on the the full frame bodies.

It's not so much that you won't get the most out of them - just that they'll look and feel different. The 50mm on the 70D will feel closer to what an 85mm would feel like on a full frame. Some people like this because it gets them more reach and deeper depth of field, and other people prefer the wider field of view and more shallow depth of field.

I have the 50mm 1.4 and a T3/1100D, and it looks great, but it's a little tight for shooting indoors (you can do it, but if you're just sitting on the couch with friends you'll be getting a lot of head shots). I'd love a full frame, because I mostly shoot people and street stuff, but a 6D is out of my budget at the moment, so I'm looking at the 70D too.

All the lenses will definitely work on the 70D, they'll just be different if/when you switch to full frame. Since you're planning on renting, though, try the ones you listed and see how you get along with them.

It's not so much that you won't get the most out of them - just that they'll look and feel different. The 50mm on the 70D will feel closer to what an 85mm would feel like on a full frame. Some people like this because it gets them more reach and deeper depth of field, and other people prefer the wider field of view and more shallow depth of field. I have the 50mm 1.4 and a T3/1100D, and it looks great, but it's a little tight for shooting indoors (you can do it, but if you're just sitting on the couch with friends you'll be getting a lot of head shots). I'd love a full frame, because I mostly shoot people and street stuff, but a 6D is out of my budget at the moment, so I'm looking at the 70D too. All the lenses will definitely work on the 70D, they'll just be different if/when you switch to full frame. Since you're planning on renting, though, try the ones you listed and see how you get along with them.

Thank you for the response! Exactly the answer I was looking for.

What type of subjects are you shooting mostly? The 70D sounds like a great camera, I just heard a review on a photo podcast I listen to and I think you'll love it. I just bought a 60D around 4 months ago and I admit I was a little sad when I realized I could've waited and got the 70D, but I digress..

What type of subjects are you shooting mostly? The 70D sounds like a great camera, I just heard a review on a photo podcast I listen to and I think you'll love it. I just bought a 60D around 4 months ago and I admit I was a little sad when I realized I could've waited and got the 70D, but I digress..

Don't feel bad. The 60D is a great value camera right now because of the 70D. The 70D's AF system is much nicer however the 60D is a good camera and when you compare the price points the 60D is great.

I am a wedding and lifestyle photographer. So my subjects are primarily people. I really like the AF system in the 70D. The 60D seems good as well though. I compared and considered the 60D because of the price point (I can refurbished one on Adorama for less than $600). But that AF system is like Channing Tatum without a shirt. I played with it today (again) at Best Buy. I hate that I have to wait. However I am highly considering that refurb 60D as a backup until I can afford what I really want.

I am a wedding and lifestyle photographer. So my subjects are primarily people. I really like the AF system in the 70D. The 60D seems good as well though. I compared and considered the 60D because of the price point (I can refurbished one on Adorama for less than $600). But that AF system is like Channing Tatum without a shirt. I played with it today (again) at Best Buy. I hate that I have to wait. However I am highly considering that refurb 60D as a backup until I can afford what I really want.

What is it that you really want? The 70D AF system is really nice but since your subjects are mainly static I would highly consider a 60D as well.

The reason I yearn for the 70D is because I heard they put in a completely new sensor, and that it is waaay better in low-light than the 60D. Other than that I love my 60D and I think you would really enjoy it. I shoot mostly landscapes so the AF isn't as big of a deal

The reason I yearn for the 70D is because I heard they put in a completely new sensor, and that it is waaay better in low-light than the 60D. Other than that I love my 60D and I think you would really enjoy it. I shoot mostly landscapes so the AF isn't as big of a deal

If you are shooting landscapes then low-light shouldn't be a big deal anyway. From my experience with both the 70D definitely handles the low light better than the 60D but there is a guy here in the forums, Majeed, that used/uses a 60D. He often posts some of the best work on the whole forum landscape wise.

What is it that you really want? The 70D AF system is really nice but since your subjects are mainly static I would highly consider a 60D as well.

I really want a 5DM3. But it is entirely out of my budget right now. I am considering the refurbished 60D as a backup. And I actually take a photojournalistic approach to weddings so my shots are more "candid" than posed. So there is some movement involved in getting the shot I want.

I really want a 5DM3. But it is entirely out of my budget right now. I am considering the refurbished 60D as a backup. And I actually take a photojournalistic approach to weddings so my shots are more "candid" than posed. So there is some movement involved in getting the shot I want.

then the 60d AF is more than enough because let's be honest you aren't tracking birds or football players etc...have you considered the 6D. I have shot two weddings with it and it handles low light better than any canon out right now except for maybe the 1dx. Everyone wants the 'candid' shots but they are also equally as important as formals when shooting a wedding. This isn't to take away from the 5DIII because it is a remarkable camera but for what you described the 6D would be great.

then the 60d AF is more than enough because let's be honest you aren't tracking birds or football players etc...have you considered the 6D. I have shot two weddings with it and it handles low light better than any canon out right now except for maybe the 1dx. Everyone wants the 'candid' shots but they are also equally as important as formals when shooting a wedding. This isn't to take away from the 5DIII because it is a remarkable camera but for what you described the 6D would be great.

Really? Well only one of my lenses will work on a 6D but I plan on renting for weddings anyway. Urgh .. Now I'm gonna have to debate haha.

Really? Well only one of my lenses will work on a 6D but I plan on renting for weddings anyway. Urgh .. Now I'm gonna have to debate haha.

Keep in mind, Canon has a minimum advertised price, so the 6D will often run a few hundred dollars cheaper than it shows (especially on Adorama or B&H). You can get it for closer to $1500 than $1900 most of the time. Especially if you live in the states - I live in Canada, and between shipping and border fees, it's still almost as cheap to just buy a camera in-store.

Have you thought about the 7D? It's tougher, and has a little more customizability like the pro cameras, and it has the same optical AF system as the 70D. Unless you use the live view a lot, you should check out a 7D as a more affordable option that's still more powerful than a 60D.

Hey everyone! Very first post here!

I got my first dSLR in 2009. I got a Canon Rebel XSi. It was a great camera for the amateur that I was. I learned how to shoot RAW and in Manual and have a good understanding of what the functions do. However, now am at the point where I really want to try and make my photography a full time career. I cannot do this with a Rebel. I NEED to upgrade. I absolutely dream of shooting with the 5DM3, but I am not financially in a position to do so. I am wanting to get the new 70D now (well, it's for Christmas) and then rent lenses and slowly buy them as I make money. Once I have my glass, then I will save for the 5DM3. The 70D seems like a fantastic body for the amateur transitioning to professional, which is where I am at in my career. Now here is my question. All of the lenses that I want are made for full frame. Does that mean they will not work on the crop 70D? Or does that just mean I will not be able to get the most out of my lenses until I can upgrade to full frame? Here are the lenses I am wanting:

•50mm 1.2
•85mm 1.2
•35mm 1.4
•70-200mm 2.8

What are your thoughts? TIA!

I guess the first question I would ask would be, what exactly is it about the XSi that isn't currently doing the job for you? It's kind of an important question to answer really, before you go to upgrade. What is it about the XSI that you feel isn't doing the job?

Image quality, low light ability, FPS shooting speed, etc?

Most reactions

Back