CANON 7D & 5D SERIES CAMERAS ARE DEAD!!!

I love to use my WWII folder camera and it doesn't manual or auto focus, just zone / distance. It has no meter. They must have felt similar to @Scott Whaley back in the day when range finders started showing up on them. Mirrorless and lightweight is now king. Canon seems to be ahead of the game with their AF system.

I love to use my WWII folder camera and it doesn't manual or auto focus, just zone / distance. It has no meter. They must have felt similar to @Scott Whaley back in the day when range finders started showing up on them. Mirrorless and lightweight is now king. Canon seems to be ahead of the game with their AF system.

Reminds me of how much I enjoyed driving the family 1965 VW Bug when I was in High School. Air cooled, metal dash, 6 volt electrical system: simple, fun!

I use my trusty 1dx Mark II and won't be moving to mirrorless cameras anytime soon

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
Hey I just bought a used 6d mk ii (first FF) and tickled to death to have it.

Hey I just bought a used 6d mk ii (first FF) and tickled to death to have it.
I just got a 7D Mark II even though I have a 6D Mark II and R6. You're going to like the 6D MII and you probably got it for a great price. Shot this today with my "new" 7D MII.

image.jpeg

I just got a 7D Mark II even though I have a 6D Mark II and R6. You're going to like the 6D MII and you probably got it for a great price. Shot this today with my "new" 7D MII.

View attachment 249317
Beautiful shot! So now that I have a newer FF, I want to upgrade my crop to something newer with similar features to the mk ii. I don't think this ever ends.

I have an aging 7D ll and have popped for a Eos R5. Seems to offer a lot more.

I just can't see me getting a mirrorless until I'm forced to. Sure, the feature set is great but I just feel like the Canon EVFs haven't got good enough yet. Every time I put my eye to one it instantly feels like there's a barrier that takes me out of the shot.

The good thing about old film cameras is they were pretty much mechanical, so can stay functional for much longer than the electronics of modern cameras.

It's also given me another dilemma, with thoughts about long term use of quality glass. With film and the longevity of mechanical bodies you could use the glass for a lifetime without worrying about it too much, but nowadays the complex electronics pretty much puts a finite lifespan on both. I find that massivley discouraging now when considering new purchaces.

I just can't see me getting a mirrorless until I'm forced to. Sure, the feature set is great but I just feel like the Canon EVFs haven't got good enough yet. Every time I put my eye to one it instantly feels like there's a barrier that takes me out of the shot.

The good thing about old film cameras is they were pretty much mechanical, so can stay functional for much longer than the electronics of modern cameras.

It's also given me another dilemma, with thoughts about long term use of quality glass. With film and the longevity of mechanical bodies you could use the glass for a lifetime without worrying about it too much, but nowadays the complex electronics pretty much puts a finite lifespan on both. I find that massivley discouraging now when considering new purchaces.
If you prefer OVF for the real-World view as opposed to what the electronics are creating, then yeah, you'll always feel that there is a barrier of sorts.

Have you tried the EVF's in the R5 and R3? They are hugely improved over the RP and R. I could never go back to OVF and be happy with it now. I like that I now see what the camera 'see's' and what the images will look like with my current settings as opposed to what I hope they will be and so make minor adjustments if necessary. I did find my R a bit laggy and had to adapt to that but the R5 has no such issues.

Ultimately though, you will never be forced only use one system - you can still use film and mech glass if you want and never use electronic systems; plenty of used stock available. Equally, you can use DSLR's and EF glass or you can adopt Mirrorless and RF glass. We aren't being forced into anything yet - new tech is optional and there is nothing wrong with the older tech when it comes to creating wonderful photographs.

I have 50D and a 6D mk1. I won't be replacing them any time soon.

"I think if you want something and can afford it, why not get it? Life's too short not to have it's little pleasures. The doctrine that you need to 'need' something before you get it is nonsensical imo. For me anyhow."

Yo' dam' straight! As long as you ain't betting the mortgage on a back-alley crap game, waiting until you're 75 to buy that car you've always wanted or get that hobby going is the wrong attitude.

I don't know if this has been covered on this forum yet. I am a member of a few other photography forums and one of them talks about the death of the 7D and 5D series cameras. They are being replaced with the mirrorless cameras. I really like my 7D & 5D cameras. What a shame they are being discontinued.​

Have you tried any of the new Canon mirrorless (R, RP, R6 or R5)? I spent about 2 hours using the R5 adapted to my EF glass last weekend and the files are awesome. The advantages of the mirrorless are so much better with just the weight savings alone. BUT - the AF on the R5 and R6 is the most incredible thing I've used. (And I shoot with 2 Canon 1Dx's)

Change is new and scary but not having that weight and the eye AF is killer. Saving my pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and other piece of currency I can to get me one as soon as possible.

But that being said, the 5D and the 7D bodies will still be around for some time, just not updated.

Have you tried any of the new Canon mirrorless (R, RP, R6 or R5)? I spent about 2 hours using the R5 adapted to my EF glass last weekend and the files are awesome. The advantages of the mirrorless are so much better with just the weight savings alone. BUT - the AF on the R5 and R6 is the most incredible thing I've used. (And I shoot with 2 Canon 1Dx's)

Change is new and scary but not having that weight and the eye AF is killer. Saving my pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters and other piece of currency I can to get me one as soon as possible.

But that being said, the 5D and the 7D bodies will still be around for some time, just not updated.
I'm hoping to get the R3 in the very near future.

Most reactions

Back