Canon 7D compared to 5D MK II or similar

Shoogleit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I was thinking on maybe buying two canon 7D to do stereo photography, videos and normal shoots. But I was wondering if anyone has it and how does it compare to some other cameras like a 5D MK II?

Ps. I have a Canon MK II and it is perfect ;) not sure if I can afford to buy another one so I was wondering about the 7D.

The focusing system on the 7D is really good, but the IQ is no where near a 5D MkII. The detail in a 5D shot is light years ahead of the 7D I'm sad to say.

The focusing system on the 7D is really good, but the IQ is no where near a 5D MkII. The detail in a 5D shot is light years ahead of the 7D I'm sad to say.

Uh...oh...somebody expressed an anti-7D opinion...

i think you need a nikon ;)

Hi everyone,

I was thinking on maybe buying two canon 7D to do stereo photography, videos and normal shoots. But I was wondering if anyone has it and how does it compare to some other cameras like a 5D MK II?

Ps. I have a Canon MK II and it is perfect ;) not sure if I can afford to buy another one so I was wondering about the 7D.

You may be dissapointed if you get rid of the 5D MKII for a 7D, but you won't be if you pick up a 7D MKII to augment it. That's going to make stereo photography very difficult shooting with a FF and a crop camera though.

They are both good cameras for the purpose they have been designed for.

I have both cameras, and based on your question, am not really sure what to tell you. You want to perform a task I cannot say that I have any experience with.

Other than the task you mentioned, what other kinds of photography do you use the 5dmii for?

Hi everyone,

You may be dissapointed if you get rid of the 5D MKII for a 7D, but you won't be if you pick up a 7D MKII to augment it. That's going to make stereo photography very difficult shooting with a FF and a crop camera though.

Wait... is there a 7D MKII? That's not on Canon's website, is it?

Hi everyone,

Next month.

That sounds about right. Plus if you're going to be shooting stereo, it makes everything easier to use two of the same camera, especially FF vs crop. The same lenses will have different perspectives and different depth of field, etc.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just got my 7D and wondering what new features the 7D MKII will have.

I just got my 7D and wondering what new features the 7D MKII will have.

:lol:

Canon will *not* release a "7D Mk II" OR a 5D Mk II replacement anytime soon. It makes absolutely zero sense from a business standpoint.

No one knows what the "7D Mk II" will be like.

Well, the 5D Mark III better have the 7D's focus system and shoot at least ISO 320,000 or I'm not upgrading.

Well, the 5D Mark III better have the 7D's focus system and shoot at least ISO 320,000 or I'm not upgrading.

The 7D has a better metering system that only it and the 60D share as well...

Uh...oh...somebody expressed an anti-7D opinion...

I could tell you some things that aren’t perfect or even ideal about the 7D if I wanted to...

But I can also list a LOT of things that are really good about it as well.

Remember that other people here (like myself) actually own the camera and shoot with it all the time. This gives us a more accurate perspective of it than you get from only reading reviews, and maybe a few times shooting with it.

From what I have seen usually those reviews or articles that are posted as "evidence" are from small time websites that leave me saying "who the #@!$ wrote this?"

Also when reviews are posted from the big sites like dpreview.com giving it outstanding ratings and high praise, all the 7D haters get real quiet for some reason. I wonder why that is?

I subscribe to Digital Photographer UK which is almost certainly the best photo mag in the world. While they didn’t say that it was perfect (which nothing is), they did have a lot of praise for it in the review. They even ran a head to head D300s and 7D comparison in a different issue, and guess what the 7D won it.

For me it has met and exceeded my expectations in pretty much every way. What more can you ask really? Are you saying that I should not be happy with it? If so please tell me why.

I am far from clueless about digital photography and I can say in all honesty that I think it’s an outstanding body, especially in comparison to other crop bodies.

The 7D is an APS-C camera as you well know, and comparing it to a FF body is absurd. For some reason discussions about the 7D always end up going in that direction though. I am not saying you are doing that here at all, but people on this forum do make that comparison often.

There is no doubt in my mind that it is in the top 3 for crop bodies available right now. Shouldnt that count for something? If not then I guess the D300s, D7000, etc. are all just garbage?

So while it’s not "perfect" and there are some things that could be better about it, it is still a damn fine camera especially in the crop category which it is obviously in. Why can’t we all just agree on that fact?

It’s not a FF camera and should not be compared to them for obvious reasons.

The 7D was not designed to be a low light champ in any way, and as you well know Canon in general usually has higher MP counts (and sensor densities) than Nikon. You have to look at the camera in the context of its intended purpose though, and then you should see what a great camera that it really is.

I am getting tired of hearing stuff like "the 5D mk II has better blah blah blah". Who really cares though? It is not a FF body nor was it intended to be. Just get over it already...

If people want to get the 5D II then that’s all fine and good, it’s a great camera after all. Just remember that the 7D isn’t even in the same league as the 5D II, and each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. The 7D is even better than the 5D II in quite a few ways.

I just cannot understand all this hate for the 7D...

- Neil

Most reactions

New Topics

Back