Canon 7D compared to 5D MK II or similar

Matt,

What I was talking about is people on this forum that refuse to acknowledge that the 7D is a good camera.

That is all.

Oh I know. Some individuals just like to poke and prod to provoke reactions; gotta learm to spot it and pick your battles. :thumbup:

More and more I am thinking that these heated debates are actually good for these forums.

I learned so much reading Canon vs. Nikon threads since I joined. The very nature of them means that people pull out the big guns and drop some serious knowledge and facts about the two brands trying to prove their points.

Its cool because then you have questions, and then those questions lead to more questions.

What is clearly not good is when it gets out of control and people start calling names, etc.

Also they are so much fun! :lol:

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, it is been quite a good reading.

I just want to clarify one thing, I will not use a 5D MK II with a 7D to do Stereo as this is not possible. I already have a 5D MK II and it is gorgeous, what I was debating myself was to buy another 5D MK II to complete a pair and do stereo or just buy two new 7D as the price difference is not too much.

Trust me, if I could buy more 5Ds I would definitely do.

How does the 5D Mark II, or similar cameras, compare to the Canon 7D. THAT was the question....and yet, you come in trying to declare that the 7D ought NOT be compared against any FF bodies. Now, why is that?

Again the 5D mk II is "better" overall, and better for the OP to get a 2nd one in this specific situation.

This is clearly not what I have been talking about, and as you can see I am agreeing with you on this YET AGAIN.

What are we even discussing here if I agree with you about the recommendation for the OP?

It seems a lot like I think that the 7D is a good camera, while you do not. You arent just coming out and saying that though are you?

If this is not true then please tell me...

You have a **serious** reading comprehension problem dude...I have not said anything about the 7D...you are waging a battle inside of your own head. We'll call it the 7D Owner's Battle of Imaginary Slights...

Seriously, you need to re-read the entire thread and stop obsessing about imagined slights to your first-born...err... I mean, your 7D.

You've created a bunch of imagined slights and attributed them to me. This might be humorous except for the fact that you and your buddies seem to continually do the same stupid chit, week after week.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies, it is been quite a good reading.

I just want to clarify one thing, I will not use a 5D MK II with a 7D to do Stereo as this is not possible. I already have a 5D MK II and it is gorgeous, what I was debating myself was to buy another 5D MK II to complete a pair and do stereo or just buy two new 7D as the price difference is not too much.

Trust me, if I could buy more 5Ds I would definitely do.
Well two 7Ds is still more expensive than picking up another 5DII. The 7D is a great camera in its own right, but if you've already got a 5DII and don't need the speed/AF, then there's not a whole lot of reasons to get one (or two, in this case).

If you have to have two cameras the same then I would definitely go for another 5D2. If it isn't an absolute necessity then I think I would pick up a 7D. I think having those two bodies would compliment each other very well as they address each others weaknesses.

Is that what you are saying? That it isn’t a good camera?

I have been 100% honest here. Can you say the same?

In the past you have had some serious trash to talk about it, and that was what I was referring to. I have not forgotten this, and I feel that you are not giving it the credit that it deserves.

What is your honest opinion about it? I really would like to know.

- Neil

Yeah, you were "100% honest" when you started the thread "Is it true that Nikon lenses don't have weather sealing?" :lol: You even admitted that the Nikon vs Canon ***** fights are "so much fun." Let's face it: you live for this stuff. You're not some innocent bystander. :sexywink:

Derrel has given his honest opinion about the EOS 7D numerous times. He has even called it a nice 1.6x crop factor DSLR.

The Nikon D700 would be my suggestion for pro-level autofocusing and robust build, but with a price lower than a Canon 1D series body. It would be a good camera for action and portraiture, since full-frame is best for portraiture, and the autofocus system Nikon has in the D700 is quite capable. The Canon 7D is a nice camera in the 1.6x APS-C size sensor, but it does seem to have a lot of problems with the lenses Canon currently has...the sensor is small and the pixel density is so high that it shows every flaw in lenses mounted to it, and Canon cannot yet do in-camera chromatic aberration reduction like Nikon can, so, the 7D's 17.8 MP sensor puts you right back at needing absolutytely top-shelf L-series lenses to leverage that small sensor.

I dunno...there's a lot of cameras on the market. Only you can decide what you want to optimize for--portraiture or action, FF vs 12.6 or 1.5x, etc,etc.

See?

So what if he's not a huge fan of the 7D? You can find similar posts on the Canon forums (P.O.T.N.) by people who shoot Canon exclusively. Not everyone is in love with the IQ of that camera. Not everyone likes noisy bokeh. For some, the EOS 40D may be a better option, despite the fact that the 7D is "better" in almost every way. It is what it is.

You have a **serious** reading comprehension problem dude...I have not said anything about the 7D...you are waging a battle inside of your own head. We'll call it the 7D Owner's Battle of Imaginary Slights...

Seriously, you need to re-read the entire thread and stop obsessing about imagined slights to your first-born...err... I mean, your 7D.

You've created a bunch of imagined slights and attributed them to me. This might be humorous except for the fact that you and your buddies seem to continually do the same stupid chit, week after week.

No I dont...

I am not talking about what you said in this thread. Why is that so hard for YOU to understand?

I already told you before that I wasnt talking about this thread, but yet you STILL keep acting like I am.

Do I really need to dig up all the old posts of you bashing the 7D from before? Seriously?

You know what you are right, you have NEVER bashed the 7D or gave it an unfair assesment.

I find it funny though that when I asked your opinion of it, you still havent answered. I wonder why that is?

I concede.

No I dont...

... :raisedbrow:

I just cannot understand all this hate for the 7D...

- Neil

Probably because all the threads on here have been 7D vs. 5D MKII threads and when comparing the IQ of a ff camera vs. an 18mp 1.6x crop, people are going to favor the FF camera.

And it's not hate, it's just that the IQ of the 5D MKII is better. I don't recall any posts in this thread about how bad the 7D blow and how it's the worst camera ever. Comments like that I would consider hateful towards the camera.

I though it was clear that I was not only talking about this thread...

BOTH are teh GAHbage!
i would never use anything other than a 1Ds Mark III.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back