Canon 7D mark II or 5D mark III?

in2thewild

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I've only been dabbling in photography using the manual settings for about 7 months now but I want to upgrade my Canon 600 D. I already have 16-35 mm L lens and 25-70 mm L lens to go with.

I know the 5D tops the Canon cameras but do you think it's worth buying now given that I'm still mastering the settings and equipment or would it be a waste of money? Would the 7D be good until I master the settings?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

Not sure you need to upgrade, but your 2 lenses are full frame lenses, so a full frame camera might be better. You don't say why you want to upgrade, but maybe a 6d is a nice other option

Well since one is FF and one a crop you might consider just what the he11 it is you are going to be shooting the most. Action, or stills Wildlife, or landscapes. Think it out before asking for an opinion.

dabble with the 600D longer.

Hi, thanks. I want to upgrade because I want the easier controls and better images.

What frustrates me at the moment is that I can't capture the warm tones of sunset etc. I'm not sure if it's me, but a professional photographer told me I couldn't get them with my current camera.

What I want to capture? Well, next December I'm going to South America and I want to get great shots of wildlife, landscapes and cities. Not interested in sport photography.

Can I ask went you suggested I dabble longer with the 600 D?

Thanks again!

Lynn

read that mine is only for entry level
Not sure you need to upgrade, but your 2 lenses are full frame lenses, so a full frame camera might be better. You don't say why you want to upgrade, but maybe a 6d is a nice other option
Well since one is FF and one a crop you might consider just what the he11 it is you are going to be shooting the most. Action, or stills Wildlife, or landscapes. Think it out before asking for an opinion.

If I was a Canonist, I would currently wait for Canon to release the new round of cameras.

They just (finally!) finished their new sensor fab. Now they hopefully start releasing cameras with sensors of finer structures and higher performance.

P.s.: I have no clue what that "professional photographer" talks about.

Hi, thanks. I want to upgrade because I want the easier controls and better images.

What frustrates me at the moment is that I can't capture the warm tones of sunset etc. I'm not sure if it's me, but a professional photographer told me I couldn't get them with my current camera.

Because despite what your "professional" photographer friend suggested, buying a 7DMii or 5Dmiii (two very different cameras) won't suddenly result in better images -- your pictures will look just as bad. Your 600D is not what's preventing you from capturing the warm tones of sunset.

Ah ok, thanks.

He was using a Nikon and told me Canon couldn't capture what he had but maybe he was just biased. It's probably my lack of skills at this moment in time that hinder me from getting the images.

So you think it's better to master the 600 D before I upgrade?

Because despite what your "professional" photographer friend suggested, buying a 7DMii or 5Dmiii (two very different cameras) won't suddenly result in better images. Your 600D is not what's preventing you from capturing the warm tones of sunset.
O

well i dont disagree with that, but that's a completely different subject.

yes, learn how to take pictures and fully understand your equipment limits, and then you'll know exactly what you need to advance with your next body.

To me it looks like your skills is what needs to be upgraded and not your equipment.
Learn how to use you camera right and you will get the results you are looking for.
If you want to upgrade then get a full frame camera and as "Solarflare" said best is to wait for the new generation of cameras Canon is about to come out with.

I agree with Braineack. Your "professional" friend is not accurate about the 600D capturing warm tones of sunset.

This is not a great example but this was taken with a 600D.

10580250_844352582253911_3011184747188092154_n.jpg

OK, fair enough. It sounds like good advice because I might have different questions and needs when I see my camera's limitations.

I have no doubt I need to improve my skills, but eventually I'm sure camera choice will help me get the images I want (when I know how to manipulate the settings well).

I agree with Braineack. Your "professional" friend is not accurate about the 600D capturing warm tones of sunset.

View attachment 114666

That's a nice photo... I'll try and upload the kind of photo I'd love to capture. What were your settings and lens for this?

View attachment 114666
That's a nice photo

Ah ok, thanks.

He was using a Nikon and told me Canon couldn't capture what he had but maybe he was just biased. It's probably my lack of skills at this moment in time that hinder me from getting the images.

So you think it's better to master the 600 D before I upgrade?

Because despite what your "professional" photographer friend suggested, buying a 7DMii or 5Dmiii (two very different cameras) won't suddenly result in better images. Your 600D is not what's preventing you from capturing the warm tones of sunset.
O

the guy is so full of BS he could be used to fertilize a large garden! Your present camera will capture all the light spectrum you could ever imagine. What your problem is is the seetings. I presume since you are new that you are shootings jpgs. QUIT IT. Shoot in RAW that RAW image has ALL the information that sensor gathers. A jpg is using a smaller amount and is totally dependent upon your settings. If you do not have Lightroom, Elements, or Photoshop, or... Then get on the Canon site and download their Digital Pro Editor, it is almost as good as Lightroom and it is FREE.

That's a nice photo... I'll try and upload the kind of photo I'd love to capture. What were your settings and lens for this?

View attachment 114666
That's a nice photo

Thank you. I don't have the information on that here. It was taken a couple of years ago during the summer. It was probably with a 28-135mm kit lens with settings some where in the f/16, ISO 100, shutter speed would probably be slower. I think I may have used a 3-stop ND filter on this image as well.

Most reactions

Back