Canon 7d mk ii w/ 70-200 f2.8 mk ii. (wanting to trade to nikon)

Curious to know why you want to trade the 7d2?
Its more so that I want to just be all nikon. I like nikon because I always get sharp images. While canon 7d mk ii w/ 70-200 f2.8 mk ii it is not that track sharp. I know it can be calibrated but I don't like that. I feel a high dollar body and high dollar lens should be done from the factory.

It's just a last straw for me with canon. But I will miss their ai servo.

My nikon d7000 takes better tack sharp images. With a kit lens. So a 600$nikon set up does better then a Canon 3500$ set up, makes no sense to me.

Its more so that I want to just be all nikon. I like nikon because I always get sharp images. While canon 7d mk ii w/ 70-200 f2.8 mk ii it is not that track sharp. I know it can be calibrated but I don't like that. I feel a high dollar body and high dollar lens should be done from the factory.

My nikon d7000 takes better tack sharp images. With a kit lens. So a 600$nikon set up does better then a Canon 3500$ set up, makes no sense to me.
You must be doing something wrong my friend has no trouble getting sharp images with hid 7dmk2

costalconn does birding now with a 7DII and is shooting amazingly sharp images with it.
im going to go out on a limb and say your just not quite getting everything dialed in with your camera properly.

If your shooting Jpegs, and sounds like you are, the In camera sharpening may be on the conservative side and needs a bump or two.Also there is other things to consider like back or front focusing for an example. My Canon 6D Jpegs needed a +2 bumps up in sharpening,even with my 70-200 thats tack sharp but you wouldn't know it at its default settings.

yeah, I never remotely had an issue with sharpness on my old 7D MK I and this lens, produced some of the sharpest images I'd taken. But ah well, if it's what OP wants.

Just curious what camera OP wants to trade into though. Trying to go full frame or D7200?

If your shooting Jpegs, and sounds like you are, the In camera sharpening may be on the conservative side and needs a bump or two.Also there is other things to consider like back or front focusing for an example. My Canon 6D Jpegs needed a +2 bumps up in sharpening,even with my 70-200 thats tack sharp but you wouldn't know it at its default settings.
Thanks but I shot raw

yeah, I never remotely had an issue with sharpness on my old 7D MK I and this lens, produced some of the sharpest images I'd taken. But ah well, if it's what OP wants.

Just curious what camera OP wants to trade into though. Trying to go full frame or D7200?
Its more so just trading lenses. But 7200 or a full frame is fine for the camera swap.

Its more so just trading lenses. But 7200 or a full frame is fine for the camera swap.
I think you could probably sell the gear you have and buy a brand new D7200 and a used 70-200 Nikon VRII and probably have money left over.

Geeze, where were you 2 week ago? I need another week or 2 to decide if I want to fully switch to Canon.. I could offer up a D7100, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC and a Nikon 300 F4 AF-s..

i hear you on the calibrating. I should do that, but i dont. it shows in my photos though. LOL

I know it can be calibrated but I don't like that. I feel a high dollar body and high dollar lens should be done from the factory.

If you want high dollar go look at the prices of what TV crews pay for proper full video cameras - or movie studios because they ARE top dollar ;)

The thing is ANY camera rolled off a production line is going to made within tolerances only. As such it is potentially possible to have a lens and camera which are within tolerances, but which are at opposite ends of the scale and thus give a lower quality image as a result.
Also its my experience that hte more MP you get the softer shots appear to be because:

1) You're magnifying the image more and more and the more you magnify the more you show up any weakness. Personally I find the 7D I like the 60% view more than 100% because its more akin to the 400D sharpness view I got.

2) Because the more MP you have the more handshake affects your photos at 100% view. Yep the 1/focal length still works but if you blow the image up more and more you have to up the shutter speed as well. Sometimes as much as double if you want tack sharp whilst handholding (ignoring IS); or on a tripod mount.

Personally for sharpness I'd get the kit checked out and compare 100% crops to others - might be you've got a method wrong and that is holding you back; could be your camera and lens need an adjustment (remember micro adjust in cameras ONLY affects the autofocus not the overall calibration of the lens optics); could be that you're demanding something that isn't possible by any brand; could be many things

also, the idea that you wouldn't have to focus calibrate a nikon setup is not particularly true either. When I had the 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, I definitely had to focus calibrate it.

Geeze, where were you 2 week ago? I need another week or 2 to decide if I want to fully switch to Canon.. I could offer up a D7100, Tamron 70-200 f2.8 VC and a Nikon 300 F4 AF-s..
Keep in touch. I'm not thinking anyone will be trading and I'm not going to sell for a little while.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back