Canon 7D on the way

Stiggie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will receive my Canon 7D kit today and I am looking forward to shooting with it this weekend. It comes with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens which, from what I have read on this forum, is a better lens than the other kit lens it comes with, the Canon EF-S 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I shoot mostly landscape and nature shots with some motor sports photography now and then. I like taking wide shots and close-ups. Do you have any suggestion on what lenses are best for either of those kinds of photography as well as suggestions for good general purpose lenses that can be used for anything?

Congrats on buying an amazing camera. I keep telling myself I don't need one, but man... do I ever want one. Easily one of the best bodies Canon has produced in a while.

I will receive my Canon 7D kit today and I am looking forward to shooting with it this weekend. It comes with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens which, from what I have read on this forum, is a better lens than the other kit lens it comes with, the Canon EF-S 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

I shoot mostly landscape and nature shots with some motor sports photography now and then. I like taking wide shots and close-ups. Do you have any suggestion on what lenses are best for either of those kinds of photography as well as suggestions for good general purpose lenses that can be used for anything?

Congrats! I am a Canon guy and the 7D is nice! But watch the Canon EF-S 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM mine had horrible lens creep just sent it back to BHphoto, maybe I had a bad copy however I upgraded to the 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM and man that the thing is SOLID.

Congrats on buying an amazing camera. I keep telling myself I don't need one, but man... do I ever want one. Easily one of the best bodies Canon has produced in a while.

Thanks, I am really looking forward to using it this weekend. I'm curious though, your signature mentions both a 1D and a 5D Mk II, why would you want a camera thats not full-frame?

Congrats! I am a Canon guy and the 7D is nice! But watch the Canon EF-S 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM mine had horrible lens creep just sent it back to BHphoto, maybe I had a bad copy however I upgraded to the 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM and man that the thing is SOLID.

Thanks Alias. I've read some bad things about the 28-135 as well which is why I purchased the kit with the 18-135mm.

This is going to be a fun weekend.

Last edited:

Buy one and send me your 5D. You're happy . . . I'm happy. What else needs to be said? :D

Where have you been? It's been Mostly Cloudy around here without you around. You making progess with your camera?

I got the camera last night and have been playing with it for a couple of hours now. My first impression is that it, unlike the T1i I had, the 7D feels like I'm holding something substantial in my hand. The cam is nicely weighted and feels very solid compared to the Rebel. I've taken a couple of pics with it and am already blown away with the image quality.

Looking forward to shooting with it some more later today at a botanical garden.

You're going to love it! Unfortunately, the 18-135 was not a kit option in the US when I bought mine, so I got the body only and use the lenses I already own. If that lens is any good, it would be a nice travel lens as it covers a decent focal-length range. You may eventually decide to buy some faster glass, but get used to your camera first and decide what you need before laying out more cash. If you're going to do a lot of botanical garden shooting, you might consider a macro lens (like the Canon 100mm f/2.8)

I took some shots with the cam this afternoon and I must say its superior in every way to my old Rebel. Have a look at some of the pics I took:

20100213-IMG_0091.jpg

20100213-IMG_0077.jpg

20100213-IMG_0076.jpg

20100213-IMG_0106.jpg

20100213-IMG_0131.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back