Canon 7D2 vs 1D4

There are 2 people at our club that are not get sharp images with the 7Dmk2
Have they fine tuned their lenses? Are they using high enough shutter speeds? Have they fine testing on tripod to eliminate user error? Have they sent the bodies back to Canon? There could be many things that cause I'm sharp images.

I don't take any notice of new cameras, not used my Sony A7 for probably 8 months so that probably needs new firmware

I have both and have not used the 1DIV since getting the 7D2. The advantages for the 7D (for me) are the silent shutter, the tracking and the extra pixels. The only downside is the ISO performance, I find the 7D2 maxes out at 1250 ISO which is only 3/4 of a stop more then the original 7D.

Well maybe the third time will be the charm? The 7dm2 is all packed up and going back tomorrow for it's third trip to Canon. I politely expressed my dissatisfaction in continuous tracking with the camera . Osprey season is only 65 days away and I want to make sure I have a camera that I have confidence in. If that doesn't work it puts me at a bit of a conundrum... :(

Sorry to hear this kris. I can imagine you will be watching the d500 very closely when it comes out and no one could blame you either. Hope they get it fixed for you. But i really wonder if they do anything other then make sure it works and just send it back. I do think mine tracks better since i got mine back but I only use the 7dm2 once in a while since getting the 1d. For me my keeper rate is so much higher on the 1d. But the 7dm2 has its moments. Good luck

If I paid the difference in price of the two, I better damned well be getting a better keeper rate :)

You can get a good idea by looking at Kristofer Rowes flicker account. He shots the 7dm2 and 1d mk4 so he has plenty of photos to compare. I have the 7dm2 and the 1dx and there no comparison in my opinion that the 1dx is way better. Again thats just from my experience of using both. I only use the 7dm2 if the light is really good, then it performs great. I know losing the 1.6 crop is alot but if you expose properly I can crop a ton and get clean images with the 1dx. I can also shoot at 10000 ISO and come out with a clean image if you dont have to crop much. All I can say is if I had to only have one I would choose the 1d bodies. Now I know I am comparing it to a 1dx not a 1d mk4 but I got friends that have the 1d mk4 and there high iso are very clean. And Every one says the 7dm2 focus system is awesome which it is. I still think the 1d bodies focus better at least for how I shoot. I would ask kris his opinion as on the 2 since he shoots both. Something tells me prefers the 1.6 crop factor though. Good luck in your choice as I dont think you can go wrong either way.

right, many would choose the IDX but it cost $4,000 !

You can get a good idea by looking at Kristofer Rowes flicker account. He shots the 7dm2 and 1d mk4 so he has plenty of photos to compare. I have the 7dm2 and the 1dx and there no comparison in my opinion that the 1dx is way better. Again thats just from my experience of using both. I only use the 7dm2 if the light is really good, then it performs great. I know losing the 1.6 crop is alot but if you expose properly I can crop a ton and get clean images with the 1dx. I can also shoot at 10000 ISO and come out with a clean image if you dont have to crop much. All I can say is if I had to only have one I would choose the 1d bodies. Now I know I am comparing it to a 1dx not a 1d mk4 but I got friends that have the 1d mk4 and there high iso are very clean. And Every one says the 7dm2 focus system is awesome which it is. I still think the 1d bodies focus better at least for how I shoot. I would ask kris his opinion as on the 2 since he shoots both. Something tells me prefers the 1.6 crop factor though. Good luck in your choice as I dont think you can go wrong either way.

right, many would choose the IDX but it cost $4,000 !
I wouldn't choose the 1dx personally.. When you are focal length limited and add,a 1.4x extender to composenate you loose your 1 stop advantage of full frame..

Anyways the 7dm2 is back at Canon for the 4th and last time. Hopefully it will be replaced this time with a body that functions as great as the loaner does.. The difference is day and night with both IQ and tracking..

Most reactions

Back