Canon announcement - Monday

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by MohaimenK, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Formatted

Formatted No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    But for the pros you've got the 200-400! Thats a huge bonus

2. dnavarrojr

dnavarrojr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They've got another press announcement scheduled for NAB... Cross your fingers.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    even better--a T3i...they added an i to the name!!!

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    They don't have a 200-400 lens--they announced that they will be developing one...it's a mere development announcement...it could be a year, it could be eighteen months until the development process is done,and the lens elements grown large enough to grind.

It is rather unusual for Canon to issue a development announcement--that's normally the province of a company that's struggling to maintain market share, or trying to thwart the advancement of competing companies that already have an actual product...more typical of video game companies, and Microsoft,and piss-ant electronics companies.

Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Pentax really DO have to feed the lower-end and mid-points of the camera market...those are the zones where the most units are sold, and where a lot of money can be made. The T3i could sell millions of units over a two year span, while a 1D Mark Awesome might sell only in the tens of thousands of units. They gotta follow the money...

5. RauschPhotography

RauschPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Disappointed it wasn't a full-frame announcement--Can't say I'm surprised, either. :er:

6. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm keeping them crossed!

lol... they had the T1i, T2i and now the T3i. I just find it odd they launched the T3, which is a lesser T3i and a seemingly upgrade to the old XS. They didnt have a T1 or T2, and with the 60D, I didnt think they needed a third variant in the Rebel line. So with these announcements, you have: T3 < T3i < 60D < 7D < 5D2 < 1D4

Oversaturate much?

Not sure I totally agree there. Canon is doing very well with their market share (read something about it last week, dont remember where). Is it normal? No. But it is a sign from a company that they acknowledge they are a bit behind in the "new" development area so are throwing people a bone going "hey look, we are thinking of newness too!".

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, enough with the articulating screen updates and upping your megapixels. Hit the freakin high ISO already. Gimme a 24mp camera with 250,000 high iso that is clean already...that can also do x-ray through walls.

7. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What's with the ridiculous price points on all of the new L redux lenses? Canon is pricing themselves right out of the market. Who the hell can afford this crap now and why would you? Except for the new 200-400; is there an incentive to upgrade from the current line of premium super telephotos? Last I checked, they were pretty darn good lenses that did not need improving. I am quite attached to my two kidneys thank you very much. The price of that 200-400 better drop, because even the Nikon model is under $10,000. A 1.4TC only cost $400 at most. Get on the ball Canon.

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Canon always releases much higher than the item settles to in the market - why is debatable but they always do. Also they are re-releasing their entire EFS line - updating it here and there - adding new lenses and also marking up their prices from their old ones (to reflect the weak $ and £ and the stronger Yen)

9. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty Lame T3I! Not much different than the t2i. Although the 200-400 should be nice they finally have something for Nikons 200-400.

10. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    To be honest aside from video in the 550D the upgrades at the rebel level are never that impressive. The only impressive one was from 300D to 350D and only then because they hobbled the 300D like crazy ;)

Otherwise you have to go at least one if not two generations above with rebels to really warrant upgrading

11. MohaimenK

MohaimenK TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Weak dollar my ass. $10K is still $10K is anyone's book. I have to issues as long as it is on par with what's in the market. I got two prices for the new EF 400 f/2.8L IS II. Initially it was $8300 USD from my local shop; about $600 more than the current lens. No problems there, I figure you're paying for the hybrid IS and titanium shell. I checked with Adorama a while back and it is pre-ordered at over $10K. Hopefully, it will "settle" as you pointed out. I will forego the 400 f/2.8 anyway and look into the 200-400 f/4. That is the lens I have been waiting on since Nikon released theirs at about $6700 USD.