The new lens line's design ethos looks very un-Canon-like, and as a result, very elegant and stylish...those black,not white barrels!!! Beautiful,classic design, that ought to appeal to cinematographers who prefer black lenses to any other finish.
The new uniform gearing and uniform filter size across the line sounds great. I noticed the price on the 24mm,50mm,and 85mm primes is $6,800 on each lens...wow...
THe one thing I noticed was what appeared to be a manual aperture control ring at the rear of the 30-300mm zoom lens linked to at the dPreview site; that seems like a VERY interesting development, and I think there might be something underlying that; I am wondering about that red-finished, rear-most segment of the lens,and wondering how Canon is going to approach f/stop control; we know that EOS bodies can control f/stop electronically, through camera body control, but when used outside the system, Canon's gelded, aperture-free lenses have always presented a problem for use on "other system" cameras, both still and cine...kind of wondering if that red item might be some type of aperture control interface for NON-EOS use.