Canon Confirms “Light Leak” Issue in the 5D Mark III

This is why I never buy something fresh on the market. I got screwed on my first new truck... had like 6 recalls in the first year.

It's a good thing I rarely photograph in sheer darkness or with the top LCD on.

It's a good thing I rarely photograph in sheer darkness or with the top LCD on.

If that was the only problem... However I have a good buddy who has been shooting with it for weeks, and he immediately noticed how his pictures were consistently exposed improperly, on more occasions than just dark conditions.

Another Canon mistake. Problem with this major flaw is that it can't be fixed with a firmware update like the 1D mklll focus issues. I would guess that it is going to be a complete recall on this body.

Another Canon mistake. Problem with this major flaw is that it can't be fixed with a firmware update like the 1D mklll focus issues. I would guess that it is going to be a complete recall on this body.

It appears to be their only option.

They've already recalled one batch from distributors.
So I suspect a full recall is going to be needed; plus I know some have not experienced this problem (might be something that is affected by manufacture tolerances and thus maybe not 100% of units are affected - explaining how pre-release builds got through testing) so it might wel lbe something that lingers a little in the second hand market.

There's a solution of course: Nikon | Home
bigthumb.gif

From what I can tell, when they recall stuff people get their camera back within 5 business days.

So, for $3,499 in the USA (or a lot more in the UK and most of Europe), you get a cheap $389 EOS ELAN-type body that doesn't even offer a built-in eyepiece blind for use in the several types of situations where light coming in from the eyepiece can affect the meter's readings???? Are 5D-III users going to need to use that high-tech, $2.49 plastic Canon eyepiece cover thingie??

Introducing the Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Fake Chuck Westfall

A
ddendum:Oh-My-Gawd--this is a SERIOUS issue that appears worse than first described. As the people at Petapixel stated, "Problem is, the issue isn’t limited to the LCD’s backlight in a dark room. Apparently any light (e.g. sunlight) shining onto the LCD screen can affect exposure". Look at the second video and watch the exposure fluctuate as a small piece of paper (smaller than a candy bar wrapper) is used to "shadow" the LCD...OMG...just plain old ambient light hitting the LCD is influencing the light meter...Holy Deity on a Cracker!!!

Petapixeldotcom, shows two short videos demonstrating serious light influence--with exposure values going from 10 seconds to 5 seconds, and from 6 seconds to 4 seconds...it appears that something as simple as light hitting the top LCD screen can cause the exposure to vary by around 50%...man...talk about bad engineering!!!

Canon Confirms “Light Leak” Issue in the 5D Mark III

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back