Canon .CR2 file format

USAF-SSgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I NEED HELP. I am trying to open some Canon RAW images and have been unable to do so in Elements 6 or GIMP 2.6.7. I do not have the cash for CS4 or CS3 for that matter and would loveto be able to learn how to take/edit RAW photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try the XnView free software. I can open the Canon Raw files with it.

your camera should have come w/ the canon RAW utility... forgot what it's called...

PSE can open and edit RAW files.

You may need a newer ACR plugin.
Go here: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html and click the link partway down for windows, and follow the instructions closely on how to install. (its not a simple "click" to install, you must replace the old ACR plugin.)

Your camera is listed as a supported so it should work for you.

I replaced the plug in and it works GREAT!!!!

For those that don't know.. I had the RAW plug-in 4.2. Canon CR2 files require at least 4.6 RAW plug in. Here's how to find out.

Go to your Elements (6.0 in my case) and then go to Help >> About Plug-In >> Camera RAW. It told me vers. 4.2.

I googled Adobe Camera RAW 4.6 update and found the adobe link for the download. Make you Save the file and don't select Run.

Once it's downloaded and saved, you need to remove your exhisting plug in.

My Computer >> C:\ >> Program Files >> Adobe >> Photoshop Elements 6.0 (again in my case) >> Plug Ins >> File Formats.

Create a temp folder some where and move Camera RAW from the path above to that new folder. You will most likely be deleting this when you are done so it doesn't matter where you put it.. It's only a temp. thing. I just made a new folder on my desktop.

Then go to the Camera RAW file that you just downloaded and place it where you removed to old one from.

Thats it. Canon RAW .CR2 Files on Elements 6.0

For those that don't know.. I had the RAW plug-in 4.2. Canon CR2 files require at least 4.6 RAW plug in.
It's not so much that .CR2 files in general won't open in Elements without the latest ACR update...it the .CR2 RAW files that are specific to your XS that won't open. Each Canon model produces RAW files specific to that model. I believe this is true for other camera brands as well.

And newer camera models produce RAW files that won't open in Elements 6.0 even with the latest ACR (for Elements 6.0) updates...you have to upgrade to Elements 7.0 (or PS CS4) and update ACR to the latest version in order to open the RAW files from newer camera models.

Other options would include;
Digital Photo Pro - Canon software that comes with the camera.
Adobe DNG Converter - A free program that converts RAW files to the more universal RAW format, DNG. These files should then open in Photoshop or Elements.
Lightroom - A workflow software that makes dealing with a large number of RAW files much easier. A very good program.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back