Canon D60 or Canon T3i?

jeanineguidry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, my name is Jeanine, I am new here - looking for some advice. I am upgrading my Canon Rebel XS to a camera body with video capabilities. Debating between the Canon 60D with 18/135 kit lens for $1199 and the Canon T3i with 18/55 kit lens for $849. Price is a big consideration, but I want to make the right decision here. My understanding is that some of the main differences are the weight (the D60 being heavier/heftier), the battery life (much better on the D60) and the top lcd on the D60. I am also thinking I would like the 18/135 kit lens much better than the 18/55. But..... the price. And I am wondering about the weight. I have held both in my hands, but that does not tell me how either will feel after hauling it around all day. Any suggestions, experiences, thoughts?

Thank you guys so much!

Jeanine

well the T3i (600D here in UK) is only around 180g lighter, which isn't going to make that much difference, even after a full day's use. Personally, I think the biggest benefit of the 60D (apart from the lens which I have to say is a much more useful than the 18-55 on the T3i) would be the LCD top plate. $350 difference is a bit steep, but if you went with the more limited zoom on the T3i you may well want to add a longer piece of glass to it, and bang - the prices work out around the same. Both are great cameras, and both will deliver fantastic photos and video, so in the end i suspect its going to come down to what you can afford.

Not exactly what you asked, but mainly the 600d is a 550d with a swivel screen and few effects and filters. I suspect if you dont need the swivel screen (which maybe you do) you could probably get a 550 with the 18-135 somewhere for the same price as the 600d with the 18-55.

If its down to price they are all good, the 60d will give you faster frames per sec and better built, I am sure you know all that. The 60d focus system should be a bit better also. This is great for sports and fast action but also if your taking candid family photos of kids running around etc. I would think you get a higher rate of photos worth keeping with the more expensive camera.

Just had the same dilemma coming from a Rebel XS. I really planned on getting a T3i because of the similarities with the 7D, but without some features at a much lower price. The more I researched, the more I came across the intermediate 60D. What I found was for photography - the higher speed and the AF points (including 9 all tracking vs the 9 and 1 tracking from the t3i) made it a much better photography camera. Found a few sites that let you compare image quality, as well as a few videos where they went around and took pictures. The final nail was the opportunity for the pro style controls. Empty its not much hevier than the XS, but in with the bigger battery in the camera - its definitely a touch heavier and more bulky, but its still very easy to carry around for long periods of time.

What I think the common feeling was:

60D - better for photography

T3i - better for those who dont' shoot in full manual mode, video is a primary concern

There are some great deals going on the 60D right now, a 100 instant rebate in addition to price drops. I found "retail" places had it cheaper than Amazon and other stores. The end results was body only T3i was only 100 cheaper than the 60D, which made it more than worth it. The kit prices are a little further apart, I think closer to 200 dollars (or 300 without the instant rebate though that runs through 9/14/11)

As for lens - definitely think you'll either want to get the 60D with the a better kit lens - or better yet, upgrade those as well/first - but that's traditional advice. There are some very good, but inexpensive lens options so don't feel like you gotta blow 1000 on an L.

Last edited:
I think the main difference between the Rebel cameras and the 60D is usability. Having the LCD on top really makes it much easier to quickly switch functions. On the Rebel cameras, you have to wade through the menus on the back LCD. Just changing white balance is a major headache.

What I really like about the 60d over the T3i is the addition of more dedicated controls. When you're shooting manual, everything you want to adjust is right where you can get at it... the T3i just has "less" interface as a result of being a physically smaller body. The top LCD screen is also a plus, more for video I would think, as everything available on it is also displayed in the optical viewfinder. If you have a Rebel XS, maybe use your existing lenses and skip the kit lens? That way you can save for a nicer lens down the line....?

I just upgraded to the 60d myself, $899 USD to my door on Amazon body only... hard to beat at that price.

I had a similar dilemma between the 50d and t2i. I went with the t2i because of price and havnt had one single regret. Just my 2 cents.

If you are abel to get to a shop and get a feel for both cameras try that 1st and then also think about what it is you really want out of the camera (the most you will be using it for).

Canon ESO Rebel T1i

Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC AF OS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back