What's new

Pocket Wizard bad press

leixialong

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
55
Reaction score
2
Location
Japan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys and girls

I am now starting to finally get to the point where I can afford to get my flash off camera and would like to trigger them wireless (radio or otherwise). I have been searching as usual for all the products on the market and reviews online but haven't been able to make a decision. Pocket wizard for example (I shoot Canon FYI) seems to have largely varied reviews on Amazon and very neutral reviews on photography websites such as strobist for example, and the Canon ST-E2 doesnt seem to have any good reviews on Canons OWN website......so im very confused. The users on here are very technical minded on here and would like to throw it open to you guys.

Here are some links to see what im talking about.

Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2

Amazon.com: PocketWizard PWP-TR 801-125 PLUS II Transceiver (Black): Camera & Photo

I know you guys probably have read all about these but just wanted to show you some of what I have seen so you have a reference ;-)

Cheers.
 
As far as I'm concerned, PWs are the gold-standard of radio triggers in terms of performance. There are two issues that keep them from being the best overall however. One is price; for what you get, they're definitely over-priced, and the other is build-quality. For what you pay, the actual build-quality is NOT what it should be.
 
Canon 580 EX-II flash units have a design flaw that has caused quite a few of the flash units to short out, due to arcing at the ends of the flash tube. This is a design issue that was remedied in the later 430 EX-II flash unit.

There is a Flickr discussion group devoted to the systematic failure of Canon 580 DX-II flash units when used with some Pocket Wizard products.Flickr: Discussing LPA publishes 580EXII failure research in Pocket Wizards

The manufacturers of Pocket Wizard triggers have purchased, at full replacement cost, a number of failed flash units from their customers,and have studied the failed flashes, and have published a very thorough PDF file that details the manufacturing and design flaws that caused the 580 EX-II's to arc and fry themselves. http://lpadesign.com/580EXII.pdf
 
Oh... I heard about this. I have a 580EX Mk1 do these have the same issues do you know?

My main concern this aside is reliability and ease of use and misfires...

Thanks for the info.
 
Being in Japan , I'm guessing you can go to the electronics district and find some suitable substitutes to try out. I like the PW's for the reliability, have only had one fail but it is to be expected , it is man-made. Right now the pocket wizard plus II are coming down in price due to the TT1 and TT5 folks are stepping into.
-
Shoot well, Joe
-
I have a few older PW and plus II , trying out the mini and Flex units now, so will more than likely stick with them. Helps that the Sekonic also takes a PW card to fire the strobes/flashes etc. So if you are looking to grow later on , go with the PW.
If you want to control your flash output from the camera location , read up on the TT1 , Flex TT5 and AC3 zone controller. http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/36/TT1-C/
-
 
Last edited:
I have enjoyed my PW's a lot. I have two plus 2 and one mini.

Works everytime.
 
Thanks for the info guys. Just one last query, does anybody know if the 580EX Mk1 is affected by the same frying issue that the 580EX Mk2 has with Pocket Wizards?
 
Never fried any of my 580EX's. PW for me as well, although I use a combination of Multi-max and PWII's.
 
Thanks for the info guys. Just one last query, does anybody know if the 580EX Mk1 is affected by the same frying issue that the 580EX Mk2 has with Pocket Wizards?

Well, it said that only 120-140 cases of the issue have been reported and if you read the document, it doesn't show that a trigger is causing the issue, it's more or less several different things with the way the head is designed that allow a "perfect storm" senario to happen and cause the flash head to arc out. Don't let Derrel scare you off.

I've been using my PW PII's with my 580EX II for quite a while with no issues.

PW's are also found partnered with many other brands, like profoto or Dynalite brand strobes or Sekonic brand light meters.
 
Thankyou sir.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom