Canon Digital Rebel XTi freezing

1. It is nothing to do with a lens, the lens requires no power therefor it isnt the lens...
You better do more research before posting misinformation like this. All Canon autofocus lenses use power (Canon puts the autofocus motor in the lens) and IS lenses use even more power (if you're using an IS lens and you press the shutter button halfway to lock focus you hear a faint whiring sound, that sound is the IS gyros working).
2. Have you ever let your battery drain? try let your batter drain right out, you should let your battery drain every 2weeks or so
If you mean use the battery until it's totally dead, then that's fine. But if you mean just let the battery sit around until it's dead, that's not so good. You really should never store a fully charged battery for too long or you'll reduce it's performance. It's okay to store fully drained batteries but if you a fully charged battery it's better to use it.
3. Image stabilisation is basically a loose piece of glass that moves when the lens moves (so to keep the camera steady by adjusting itself so the focus stays the same(for small shake ofcourse)
How do you think the lens adjusts itself? By magic? There are gyros in the lens body that help to reduce the impact of movement on the lens...these gyros use power.

Canon EF Lens Technology: Image Stabilization

Everything you mention sounds like you have a low battery. Does your battery level indicator work?
KmH - Problem resolved. And original post was posted a year and a half ago. See quote below.
I exchanged mine with the next model up. I recommend you do the same. What's there to say that the next camera they give you won't have the same problem? In my researching this problem the first time, I found many people complaining from this, some of them bought the camera this way, others had theirs for a while before it started doing that. My advise: exchange and let the retailer upsell you.
I have this EXACT same problem, and it only started happening today after owning the camera for just over a year and a half. I lost some pretty cool moon shots :(. I have an extended warranty- do you think I should try to exchange it? I've never had this problem before.
I've had my XTi for 20 months now and haven't had problems like the ones mentioned in this thread...but I use a battery grip and have four batteries so that might have something to do with it.

You may want to clean the contacts on the battery and in the battery chamber. I found that helps to fix some issues with my XTi.

Of course your battery may simply be coming to the end of it's useful lifespan...they don't last forever.

Everything you mention sounds like you have a low battery. Does your battery level indicator work?

That was the problem: the battery level indicator WASN'T working. It would show "battery full" all the way until the battery runs dry. And then it would just drop dead without any warning, all the while showing Battery Full. This was a year ago. A lot of people were complaining about this particular problem with this model at the time, and Canon wasn't doing much to fix it. At least not that I could see. I was lucky, my camera was brand new, so it didn't matter if the battery is defective, or the entire camera, I just returned both and got the next model up. And almost went bankrupt paying for it.

I've had my XTi for 20 months now and haven't had problems like the ones mentioned in this thread...but I use a battery grip and have four batteries so that might have something to do with it.
Even them some people were saying "You are out of your mind, this camera works fine." :) But then a lot of people were saying there is a problem. It must have been a bad batch or something.
You may want to clean the contacts on the battery and in the battery chamber. I found that helps to fix some issues with my XTi.

Of course your battery may simply be coming to the end of it's useful lifespan...they don't last forever.

You are right, I didn't try that. Maybe it would have fixed it. Maybe not. I guess it doesn't matter anymore. It's been a year and a half, and I like my new camera better anyway. The new one was a keeper. :) The XTi is much more compact, though. I miss that sometimes.

Most reactions

Back